HP2 Ohlins cartridge from Fast Bike Industries

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by configurationspace, Apr 20, 2012.

1. configurationspace

configurationspace delooper

Oddometer:
    Hi all,

Have any of you got the Ohlins cartridge for the front shocks of the HP2 from Fast Bike Industries?

http://www.fastbikeindustries.com/products/fast-bike-industries-off-road.htm

[​IMG]

I know a lot of people have got completely different front suspension set-ups from stock but I'm curious if any of you stuck with the 45mm shocks but have tried replacement internals. Curious if any of you have tried a range of options and what you think. The Ohlins cartridge is less than $1000.
  2. Warthog

Warthog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I added progressive springs, and less air space at the top of the oil chamber. I have heard about the Ohlins inserts, but didn't know if it was determined that there was a fit for the 45mm Zokes.

I have also seen inserts for 45mm Zokes from Marzocchi; Comp/rebound in each leg.
  3. hillbillypolack

hillbillypolack Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer:
    :ear
  4. configurationspace

Oddometer:
    This Italian "SpecialThings" website has another front fork kit:

http://www.specialthings.it/bmw/bmw-hp2-enduro/sospensioni/kit-cartridge-r-evolution-by-mupo.html

[​IMG]

Specifications:
    Diameter 25 mm cartridge-CNC hard anodized and polished.
    Stem diameter 12 mm Alu.
    Piston diameter 25 mm progressive system with DU bushings
    Piston diameter 16 mm internal limit.
    Float rod guide bushing.
    Pins of compression.
    Racing Oil SAE MUPO 6.5.
    Chrome-silicon spring steel spring guide with Alu.
    Fork caps with spring preload on the bearings and bleeder screws.

adjustments:
    Extension 40 positions.
    Compression 48 positions.
    Manual 30 position spring preload (15 mm).
  5. configurationspace

Oddometer:
    I contacted them and yes they have a 45mm Ohlins kit. I don't have any real details but I'll phone them next week.
  6. JohnTz

JohnTz Never stop riding.

Oddometer:
    I looked at them a year ago but the price was way more than 1K. I would give them a try for that amount.
  7. configurationspace

Oddometer:
    Fast Bike Industries quoted me $899.95 + $65 shipping. (USD)

There's a shop in the UK that sells an Ohlins cartridge for the HP2 as well.

http://www.adventurebikewarehouse.co.uk/twalcom-forks-by-ohlins-adreani-p-403.html

but they're charging £1,650 + £107.79 shipping. Presumably they're not the same cartridge. I'll see if I can get a spec comparison.
  8. JohnTz

Oddometer:
    That is the amount I saw a year ago. That's allot of pounds :huh and that is when I stopped looking at them. The picture you showed look identical. If you can get them for 899 bucks I am in.
  9. oldfool

oldfool Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw these listed as twalcom inserts. looks like a good upgrade
  10. JohnTz

Oddometer:
    Yes the twalcom are about 2800 bucks i think, that is why I am curious of the fast bike ones are the same.
  11. Some Dude

Some Dude what attitude problem???

Oddometer:
    David at Fast Bike Industries wont steer you wrong and he'll make sure it's right and talk you through set-up, installation, etc and stand behind any of his work! He's done plenty of tuning on HP2 E's with Ohlins TTX inserts in WP forks :D
  12. Baloo

Baloo Itinerant jackass Supporter

Oddometer:
    I cover the waterfront in Norfolk Virginia.
    Some Dude is spot on. Dave is the best.. Just back last week from Dave's shop near Asheville.. he worked both my HP2 and G65X . Night and day on both bikes. Progressive springs and heavier oil in the X Challenge and the italian cartridge alt. and Ohlins rear shock in the HP2.

we just had a group buy with fast bike.Lots of inmates are very happy with Dave's work.
  13. configurationspace

Oddometer:
    I just ordered a set. Should have them installed sometime next week if all goes well.
  14. configurationspace

Oddometer:
    Arrived in the mail today. Won't have a chance to install until next week. :cry

[​IMG]
  15. hillbillypolack

Oddometer:
    Those look yummy. Looking forward to your take on the change once they're installed.
  16. JohnTz

Oddometer:
    They look great. I am VERY interested how the install goes and your ride report. I will be next to get a set if these work out well for you. Thanks for sharing.
  17. configurationspace

Oddometer:
    Finally got back from travelling and am taking this installation more seriously. I've never done anything like this... so I'm being fairly cautious. Where to begin?

First off these new internals are not Ohlins. They're made by Andreani, as you can see by the inside of the box. Earlier I thought they were made by Ohlins and that confusion seems to have propagated this far into the thread.

[​IMG]

Next, put suspend the bike so there's no load on the front wheel. Remove wheel.

[​IMG]

Rather than let the front brake hang, we'll tie it off.

[​IMG]

At this stage the front forks unbolt and slide off...

[​IMG]

Then take them inside, lay them on your carpet, clean them and stare at them...

[​IMG]

It's around this time I notice what everyone else has noticed. The right fork leg acts like a proper shock. The left fork leg has a spring in it, but no damping.

Also noticed the front brake caliper was put on with blue loctite. That scared me a little when taking it off. My previous bike (1150GS) never had loctite on the caliper bolts.
  18. configurationspace

Oddometer:
    For a little while the steps go like in the Marzocchi manual:

[​IMG]

You unscrew the top, push the spring down and then you can completely unscrew the top and remove it. If you don't know what you're doing (like me!) and have the fork leg too far extended or if it's not in its vertical orientation, you'll spill oil all over the place at this step. Keep the fork leg compressed and keep it upright.

Then I get to this bolt on the bottom of the left fork leg. How do you get it off? This will ultimately be replaced by the new damping unit... but it's not clear how I can get it off. I keep on turning it CCW, and it rotates in place.

[​IMG]

My impression is once this is off, the main fork leg and slider will separate.
  19. nsfw

nsfw Death Valley Noobs Rally Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    interested to see the outcome.

thanks and hoping everything goes well
  20. hillbillypolack

Oddometer:
    Andreani???? :huh

Is that a concern? I thought these were supposed to be Ohlins. Inquiring minds would like to know why these weren't made in Sweden.