the DR650 thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by sleepywombat, May 1, 2006.

1. DR650SEDDY

DR650SEDDY ride2discover

Oddometer:
    I installed one 4 years ago from rsw racing and honestly i didn't see much difference from the time i rode without it. I removed it 2 years ago, it only add more work for me when i have to work on my front end. I would suggest to save ur money for something more important/usefull like tires, brakes, service/tune ups etc...
  2. YankeeCajun

YankeeCajun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I need a front brake line. Anybody out there have one for sale? Can be rubber (if its not too old) or braided steel.
  3. french horn

french horn Just Add venture

Oddometer:
    Did you read a library to find all this info? ....I'm impressed .... thanks heaps A.G. .... I'll keep yuz posted

cheers
  4. acap650

acap650 acap650

Oddometer:
    I believe the general consensus is that the Race Tech emulators are more effective for the rough stuff and Intiminators work well for street and mild offroad duty.

Installation is more involved with the emulators requiring damping tube removal and drilling. Intiminators require fork removal (for draining fluid) but no further disassembly. Spring preload spacers need to be made in either case.
  5. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    Till you fall the right way or snag the cable on brush and break the plastic housing that screws in to the carb body. Then the bike runs horribly till you can get it fixed. I am willing to bet you local Suzuki dealer doesn't have the cable in stock.

Ask me how I know this.:deal

I now have the DR350 knob style on my DR
  6. MeterPig

MeterPig Meh

Oddometer:
    We don't have roots but we have rocks. Never a problem for me but that doesn't mean it isn't a good ideas.
  7. Otis357

Otis357 Dirty Hippie

Oddometer:
    If I'm looking for a little performance boost on my stock DR, is a new muffler worth the investment? The FMF pipes claim to improve horsepower and torque, but Id like to hear from folks who have spent the $$... was it worth it?

Planning a long road trio this summer, and would like to do something to give the DR a little more pep and improve highway riding. Installing a 16t sprocket with my new chain for the ride, but what else can be done for < $400?

Cheers....
  8. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
    But common wear items like fork seals for a model run of 17 years that also fit lots of other models like RMX and some RM's is unacceptable. ( at least have a pair, they had 1)

I even looked up what Kaw model might have this same size seal (my deealer has Kaw & Yam also) and it would be most of the KDX and KLX bikes and they didn't have that either.

It's no better down the street at the KTM shop. Twice I have blown water pump seals. Neither time have the had any. This is for an RFS motor that was in almost every 4 stroke KTM from 2000 - 2007. When I called the second time, about 18 months after the first try, they said, we haven't sold any in over 2 years. Well, I wonder how many they missed on because they never had them, because that wouldn't be true if they had'em 18 months ago. Plus, if they did have them, I would have picked up a gasket and a bottle of Engine Ice. Instead it came UPS.
  9. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    have you removed the snorkel and adjusted the fuel screw yet? That is job 1.

A muffler won't do tons for performance, and certainly not until you've done more drastic things to the intake. An FMF will reduce the weight by 12 lbs or so and look a lot better.
  10. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    A similar thing happened to me, except with Honda (and, they were a Suzuki dealer, too). The parts guys were great but the service and sales guys were not. Honda pulled their franchise (I heard this from one of the parts guys that ended up down the road @ the Yamaha dealer) and they closed (goodbye Suzi dealer, too). No one has picked up the Honda franchise so now I have to drive several towns over to get to Honda and in a different direction for Suzuki. Granted, in the Chicago suburbs that's probably not as far as you drive but visiting a dealer has become less convenient (for me). I don't rely on them often but when I do need their help, it's nice to have them (relatively) close by.
  11. barko1

barko1 barko1

Oddometer:

X2. I'd like to see dyno results on a well tuned bike with an opened up airbox and aftermarket muffler with and without the bigger header. I wonder if the muffler does any good if the exhaust still has to escape through that stock pipe, especially with the weld crap in many. Seems like the bigger header would help but I'm no engineer. Seat of the pants says the open airbox (per Jesse) a rejet, and a bigger header and less restrictive muffler are well worth it. I would make the gearing any higher than what I think is an already to higher gear ratio. Best performance boost for the $$ is a 14 tooth unless your objective is to drone the interstate and maybe save a mpg or to.
  12. Greaslife

Greaslife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What's the valve lash setting for our bikes ? going too check since i have the tank off
  13. sandwash

sandwash Long timer

Oddometer:
  14. Rusty Rocket

Oddometer:
  15. Greaslife

Greaslife Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks rusty
  16. kbuckey

kbuckey Long timer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had a K-9 fork brace from happy Trails on my DR650 for over 10 years. I like it. It gives much better front end feel in cornering on pavement.

I like fork braces. Some folks don't think they're helpful or worth it. But I have had them on three bikes (my ZRX and the V-Strom I had) and thought there was a perceptible improvement in each case. JMHO.
  17. zdiver1

zdiver1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How about $35. for a set of rubber off my 2011 front and rear.
    $35. includes shipping to lower 48.
  18. LexTalionis

LexTalionis Inciteful

Oddometer:
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> From the April 2013 issue of Cycle World: Best Used Bikes: Suzuki DR650SE

“Not only is the SE’s counterbalanced engine noticeably faster, torque and smoother than the big singles powering its closest competitors (Honda’s XR650L and Kawasaki’s KLR650), it has a reputation for being downright bulletproof.”

Lex
    <!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
  19. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    No worries mate, happy to help out.
    Lots of your Aussie Brothers know all about this stuff as so many of you lot get out into the Bush ... and sometimes that means underwater. I learned all this from riding enduros (AMA race series). I drowned several bikes ... and learned from the more experienced older guys. I've also been to school for Outboards ... and have recovered a few motors from the Ocean and got them running again! :eek1 Salt water is the worst. Fresh not so bad.

Good luck with your bike, let us know how she goes.
    Cheers! :freaky
  20. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Especially for a long road trip ... I would stick with the stock muffler. More pep? Cut open air box, add Dyno Jet kit (needle, jets). Replace stock air filter with something more free breathing like a Twin-Air filter. Fit Iridium spark plugs.

The FMF is probably worth one HP or two ... no more. But you will lose a bit of torque in the bargain. I had a Q2 FMF and was not impressed with the quality. It is also very loud. The Q4 is a bit quieter ... but for some still too loud. Not good for a long highway ride. The Rivets on my FMF were coming out at 5000 miles. I'm not the only one here who've had this happen. Many have fallen apart.
    [​IMG]
    If rivets get too loose ... this is where you end up. (Pic courtesy of Jamin Jay on an earlier DR650 in Alaska)

If you are doing a new chain ... get a GOOD ONE. And start with NEW sprockets front and rear. Putting a NEW chain on a worn rear sprocket is asking for trouble ... and very short chain life.

Good luck, have a great ride! :freaky