The "LONG TERM" WaspWorks Super Tenere, in detail and the evolution - Part 2

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Wasp, Apr 4, 2012.

1. mousitsas

mousitsas Long timer

Oddometer:
    Jaw dropping! Tyres are karoo-T front and back?
  2. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    The rear is Karoo T (2) but the front is an old half worn 90/90-21 Bridgestone trailwing.

Greg.
  3. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
  4. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    you want pics,,,YOU GOT PICS!!!,,,
    <hr style="color:#575757; background-color:#575757" size="1"> Quote:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset"> Originally Posted by Wasp [​IMG]
    Hey Woody...........

[​IMG]

Greg.

</td> </tr> </tbody></table>
    here ya go Wasp man....

all's well that ends well,,success!!! everything fits,,end air gap within .003 '' of your and my measurements:deal
    :freakyhaleluja:wink:
    woody

it started with my stone-age sketch,,supplemented by wasp-man's Solid Works wizardry
    [​IMG]

here's the lay of the land,,,the object was to take the 3mm/.120'' 6061-T6 plate and convert it into an adapter that would hold the OEM sensor ring circa .06-.070'' from the pick-up mounted in the sensor holder..
    [​IMG]

here's cam's future hub[he doesn't know it yet,,but i do ! ],,, having the lip machined where the sensor adapter will rest to give us the proper clearance down the road
    [​IMG]

drilling a pilot hole for the 1/2'' drill
    [​IMG]

here's the 1/2 hole being drilled to accept a my material holder for the lathe work

[​IMG]

that's wasp-man's new double disc hub having the step machined at the correct depth
    [​IMG]

4.444'' is the diameter that his new adapter plate needs to be machined down to in order to fit perfectly within it's new boundaries
    [​IMG]

these are the 6906 2RS bearings before and after we re-pack them with hi speed water-proof wheel bearing grease,,FYI the bearings were virtually absent of grease...:eek1:huh
    [​IMG]

waspman's hub being preheated prior to bearing install
    [​IMG]

waspman's [left to right] sensor holder,,,sensor adapter holder,,,and the sensor ring
    and below them the oem bearing and sensor holder spacers and the Superlite version of the same for the ST hub
    [​IMG]

getting ready to mount the sensor ring
    [​IMG]

Voila,,www presents to you the completed product = ABS/TCS capability that works:deal

PS...if it needs to have a bit closer gap we can add shimming material under the sensor ring or increase gap by adding a shim under the transducer. ,,i don't have a factory spec,,just went off of Wasp-mans and my readings...ie his = .736''/18.7mm and mine=.720''/18.29mm ,,wasp-mans black hub ended up circa .726/
    [​IMG]
  5. GarageMonkey

GarageMonkey Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :tb :viking
  6. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    You're not going to get it dirty are you? :cry That scooter looks showroom!
    Glad the DR650 front fender worked out ... but what are you gonna do about that Samuri "S" on there? :D
    How do you stop 600 lbs. with one brake disc? Hope it works ... that's a truck load of weight you're saving there. (worth about $10,000 in Ti and Carbon fiber bits!) NiCE!

Hope you get a chance to take her out and see what she'll do. Good luck,
    watching your build! :thumb
  7. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    The poor girl's "as dirty as" mate.. In dire need of a clean but iv'e been busy designing shit and riding.

The Samuri "S" is just a sticker and will be non existant as soon as I get the new guard. The one in the pics belongs to a mate and was only on for a test fit.

I have done 400>500kms with the single disc and quite honestly its not too different to the double. I operate shorty Pazzo levers (two fingers) and can still initiate ABS in emergency stop front brake only... It requires about 10% extra force than does the twin disc setup.

Greg.
  8. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    More development as I have been progressing on the high guard mount and the fork leg guards.

I have returned the guard I borrowed from my friend and ordered a new one from Suzuki Australia. $Au110 and apparently you dont get a free bike with that, it's just the guard... They dont even offer any anal lube before sticking it in [​IMG]

Along with the design of the high guard mount came an epiphany as to the routing of the brake lines. I'm really pleased with the way it is taking shape and will post pics as soon as it is in place.

Not wanting to chance the look of the fork leg guards without a proper design, I decided to create a solid model on the computer so they could be massaged to the exact look that I am after.
    I could not find any accessory plastic units that would go anywhere near close to fitting so I thought I would laser cut and press them from 2mm S/S with a view to pulling some from F/glass or carbon later if I felt the need for change.

This is the result:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Really enjoying this project. [​IMG]

Greg.
  9. jaumev

jaumev Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are a genius!!! :tb:clap
  10. Adv Grifter

Adv Grifter on the road o'dreams

Oddometer:
    Awesome! That is very encouraging news!
    Have you calculated the weight savings from losing the other Disc/Caliper?

Can you feel any difference at the front in handling, turning?
    Best build I've seen on a Tenere'. Hope you get time to wring her out some! :freaky
  11. Bambi

Bambi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi Wasp,
    in my opinion, these new bikes are way too big and too bulky. But everybody as he/she likes ... my biggest ride is a 1988 Suzuki DR 750 Big (bit more than 200 kg) accompanied by a 1981 Triumph Tiger Trail 750, a Scrambler, weighing in at 173 kg with a tank full of gas. Owned since new! Back in it's days people used to laugh about me riding such a fat off-roader. These bikes are big enough for an overweighed 55-year-old guy measuring only 1,70 meter.
    Why I'm writing these lines to you: You should add the letters 'uper Ténéré' to the 'Samurai S'. But surely, this 'S' is shouting too much 'Suzuki' for you! So I'm just kidding ...
    Have fun with your bike and projects, your work is immaculate!
    Kind regards from Germany, Bambi
  12. woody's wheel works

woody's wheel works Built to Last Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    when i saw that skuziyuki symbol on the front of your fender i started puking....:wink:

[​IMG]

give me a break,,,,

now if ya want an emblem that is metaphysically balanced,,approved by our native american injuns try this on ...as posted
    here
    http://www.lostrider.com/lost/Photography.html#5

:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl:rofl

:freaky
    w

OBTW,,the new and official Superlite ST-abs left hand spacer and sensor ring adapter will be ready next week all 30 sets...psssst ,,i'm an optimist

13. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Looks perfect Woody. Make sure the boys package some in with the wheels.:thumb

Greg.
  14. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Removing the R/H disc and caliper equates to a whisker over 2kg (4.4lbs), and yes, you can absolutely feel the difference..:evil
    Woody's dual disc superlight hub is 3kg (6.6lbs) lighter than the OEM 19" (apples for apples - with tire/tube, discs and all), and the single disc is 5.5kg ( 12.1lbs) lighter.

From a previous post:
    As I mentioned above, I had a great road ride for a couple hundred kilometers today but I have really been hanging to get the new single disc wheel installed in place of the 21" twin disc wheel.

I got home from my ride today to a handfull of urgent chores so got stuck in and immediately went up to the shed to remove the tire and tube from the "old" 21" wheel (wow, lifes tuff when you got a choice) and spoon them onto the new wheel.

It's been a few years since my old enduro days where you had to change tires in the bush. These days its easier to drop it into a bike shop and pick it up 30mins later. I am pleased to say though that I havent lost any of my hard earned experience and found the task both pleasurable and interesting.
    I guess in reality there aint too much tuff about a front wheel, and can be thankful it was not a rear.

1hour later the job was complete and installed back on the bike.
    A quick bleed of the brakes and the jobs done.

What a treat. Just when you think that things couldnt get any better than loosing 3kg of un-sprung weight, you drop one disc and a caliper and loose another 2.5kg

Thats right:
    The OEM front assembly (tire, disc's etc) was 14kg
    The twin disc assembly (tire, disc;s etc) was 11kg
    The single disc assembly (slightly lighter and slimmer rim) was 9.7kg. 1.1kg of that was from removing one disc...
    BUT - factor in the removal of the superfluous caliper + hose + bolts and you loose another 1.2kg.
    SO:
    OEM = 14kg
    Single disc = 8.5kg

5.5 fricken kg (12.1lbs) lighter in un-sprung mass to accelerate/brake/act on suspension...

I am REALLY looking forward to trying this one out..

I suspect the master cylinder may need a change, but i'll trial it tomorrow and make judgment from there.

Greg.
  15. GrahamD

GrahamD Long timer

Oddometer:
    Now that's getting serious :thumb
  16. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Bet your arse!!!!

It feels amazing. :evil

Greg.
  17. CANNONMAN

CANNONMAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Greg, Check your email for an order now from landmark5757@yahoo.com. I think I know why you weren't getting previous emails and I explained it there. Thx,. Mark
  18. CANNONMAN

CANNONMAN Adventurer

Oddometer:
    WTF, I get yours but for some reason I reply and you don't get. No clue, I tried again. My PayPal email we set up is thundermountainlodge@yahoo.com. See if you can request funds from me there or if not send me your address, I am ready to send cash in the mail. I want the black decal with white outline and also your w/s adj. brkt. Never had anything like this happen before. Thanks Mark
  19. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    Thank's Mark... Weird shit going on there. I think the aliens must be intercepting your transmission.
    I did get your email from this morning and responded. I also sent a Paypal invoice as per request.
    Let me know if that does not come through.
    We'll sort it out somehow.

Greg.
  20. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    My brand spank'n shiney new mudguard arrived today and was installed quick as a flash.

All it need's to finish the job now is the aforementioned Woody's Wheel Works sticker. Clean scratch free empty space is reserved and waiting for same.

[​IMG]

I have the fork leg guards laser path finalized and ready to go off to the laser first thing Thursday as it is our ANZAC day memorial holiday tomorrow. The high guard/brake hose mount is also ready and will be cut and pressed at the same time. Still temporarily mounted at the moment. Very strong though and more than adequate for the short term.

I eagerly await being able to post pics of them installed to show how they turned out.

Greg.