Android Phones

Discussion in 'Shiny Things' started by O-man21, Aug 12, 2011.

1. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    My 5 year old, been to A-stan and back, iFone 3G finally self destructed today (literally, pic will follow). Been on the fence and window shopping all the various Android phones, and this finally made me have to make up my mind.

Got an LG Optimus G. I dig it. Not as damned big as the Note, but a bigger screen and more egalitarian style than most other "big smart phones". Reviews were favorable and it was cheap(er) than the more popular Samsung and HTC hardware.

But holy crap! ATT loaded it down with an astonishing amount of useless and redundant bloatware. Tomorrow gonna root it and start cleaning it up.
  2. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The way Motorola implemented Android without screwing with it too much and keeping Verizon bloatware to a minimum (compared to Samsung) are big reason why I went with the Razr. I suspect both of those also help account battery life.
  3. Craneguy

Craneguy British Hooligan

Oddometer:
    +1 on root, custom firmware and launcher.

Faster, cleaner and more useful features.
    S3 with Nova and AOKP Omega Rom.

It took a few tries to get it just right, but well worth the effort.
  4. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:
    I never thought I'd say it, but just get a iPhone.
    I've had a couple of LG Optimus models and thought they worked just fine, aside from the slow browser, the battery draining, constantly reopening of programs and apps, the inability to recharge it from a computer without downloading software, crashing and freezing, etc, etc.

I recently ended up with a lightly used iphone4, and what a difference. It just seems easier to maneuver around inside it, the battery lasts longer than the LG did when new, and it feels like a nicer, more valuable tool too.
    I'm almost ready to let ya call me an Apple fanboi.
  5. Dolly Sod

Dolly Sod I want to do right, but not right now Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow, not my experience with my HTC Incredible 2. I'd much rather use it for browsing, music listening and everything else than my ipod 4g.

Plug and play with any PC with just a USB cable. Transfer music, data, movies etc just drag and drop. Even accesses our hand held "rangers" that we use at work so info can be emailed to me, and transferred from my phone to the hand held unit on the fly.

I've said it before, my android phone sync's better with itunes than my ipod did (did because I barely use it anymore)

I finally rooted it last month after a year of ownership, and it's even better now that I can remove all the bloatware from Verizon and unlock gestures to open specific apps from the lock screen is the bees knees.
  6. Craneguy

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong, the S3 is great even with the added carrier junk. The fact that I can even do the things I did to it is the reason I'll never own an Apple product. True, they do "just work" but the freedom to do anything I want to MY phone is priceless. I do accept that messing under the hood is beyond the ability or desire of most people. Would you buy a bike that you couldn't farkle or tune beyond putting a rain cover over it? :D
  7. RedRocket

Oddometer:
    No, I like to work on my bikes.
    A phone is really an appliance to me, and I have no interest in tinkering with it.
    This apple thing was so easy I even ported over my google contacts.
  8. JamesG

JamesG Rabid Poster

Oddometer:
    These aren't phones. they are hand held computers with telephony functionality.

And I ported my contacts from my iphone to my LGOG too. :D
  9. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    Geez guys all I did was log into my Gmail account.
  10. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have not rooted my phone because I don't know how and have not had the time to mess with it.
    I'm on Sprint, so there does not seem to be a lot of Sprint BS in it.

Sure I could figure out how to root the phone, I can usually figure most things like this out pretty easy.
    Since I threatened to replace it, my EVO 4 has been behaving nicely.

Only issue being the battery life, which the single digit temps have not helped.
    That and I think I need a new battery.

Not interested in an iPhone. I like my iPod and it works well but I also know a few people who have had a lot of trouble with the iPhone and iTunes.
  11. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep, my contacts, calender and all of the apps I downloaded transferred themselves to a new phone. No fuss no muss. Which is good given that my Galaxy S turned it self into a brick after getting wet.
  12. ______

______ Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was absolutely amazed that my apps I had on my last android showed on a list on my new one including the paid apps.
  13. jazzmans

jazzmans this ams dildos

Oddometer:
    yep, that's one thing I really, really like.

in the app store, there's a list of all installed apps, and you can just go there, and select the ones you want on a new device.

I just updated my rooted s3 to jellybean this evening. Boy, it's even faster then it was!

suhweet!

jaz
  14. emerson.biguns

emerson.biguns All idiot, no savant

Oddometer:
    What did you use as a go by?

15. FlySniper

FlySniper Bleh...

Oddometer:
    So what custom ROMs are popular here? Any?

Right now I'm running McSense on my Droid Incredible. I like it, but I'm hitting that low memory error that plagues CM7 ROMs.

I'm looking into MIUI right now... looks nice so far. I may put it on my Nook Color first, just to see if I like it.
  16. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    I've been using a tweaked CM7.2 rom called MROM. It's pretty fast and haven't had any issues except that tango won't transmit audio during a video call. That's the only bug I've hit since I stared using it 2 months ago. Thinking of trying MIUI myself because it's built on the stock rom, so maybe Tango will work right. :dunno
  17. RedRocket

Oddometer:
    Day 4 with my iPhone, and it's still way better!
  18. Craneguy

Oddometer:
    Haven't you got something else to do? Like an iTunes update...

iTroll...
  19. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    Another Apple fanboi :csm

:lol3

I've known too many iPhones to crash, brick or otherwise mess up.
    And the screen breaks if ya look at it funny.
  20. Dolly Sod

Oddometer:
    Have you ported anything else over to it?