Street Bike Preferences of Long Time Dirt Riders?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by mikem9, Sep 2, 2013.

1. KX50002

KX50002 NooB, my ass

Oddometer:
    I recently learned (thanks to ADV) that it might be possible to plate my KX500, I think that's the ticket!!
  2. mikem9

mikem9 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    That's a great description!
  3. motu

motu Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer:
    I've always done both, and tend to set my road bikes up with wide bars, and am happiest on the road with shitty tyres that don't grip. I got a bit sick of adv bikes after a few of them, and built what I like best - a gravel road street bike. Wide bars, narrow seat and dirt tyres....I'm having more fun on this than any adv bike.

[​IMG]
  4. viverrid

viverrid not dead yet

Oddometer:
    What's nearly tripped me up on my KTM 990 is the very limited (IMHO) lock to lock. Parked next to my DRZ the difference is striking.
  5. mikem9

mikem9 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Cool bike Motu!
  6. 234wheels

234wheels n00b

Oddometer:
    My first bike was an early 70's cb350. The guy I got it from didn't have a title for it so I helped him take off the mirrors and turn signals then he and later I rode it like a dirt bike. This was in the early 90's. I got rid of it in about '92 and I got into atv's. Then in 1998, I got a 1977 Bultaco Pursang 250 from a guy. My first "real" dirt bike! Sadly, I could barely ride off road when I got it. The closest off road riding area was about an hour away and NOT for beginners. I still feel all the falls in my wrists and knees from time to time. Then 9-11 happened. I heard talk of $3.00/gal gas and got my first street bike-a 1994 zx6. That was fine, but I got rid of it in 2004 before go to Iraq as a civilian contractor. I had myself convinced that I didn't need a street bike for about 1 1/2 months until I picked up a copy of Cycle World. Before I got halfway through, I realized that I shouldn't have gotten rid of my Ninja. After a couple of weeks, I remembered that knew a guy who had a 1993 zx11. It looked almost identical to my zx6, even the same color. I called the guy at work from Iraq and made a deal on the zx11. I still have it as my daily rider. I'd like a newer one, but really don't want to have to pay for it. I don't really want a dual sport. I tend to ride more agressively off road and my 1997 kx250 does just fine for that (besides, I LOVE the sound and feel of a two stroke!). I just feel better staying strictly on or strictly off road. I don't really have decades of experience riding experience, but I do feel that learning to ride a dirt bike helped me get my class m license in 2001. I think that it taught me how to control a bike better than if I'd learned on the street first. I was told that I was the first one to ever score 100% on my written test and during my riding test, I only had one bad mark. I could have stopped faster on my quick stop test.
  7. boingk

boingk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the Triumph triples, there comfortable, confidence inspiring and pure sin on a twisty road.

I like my vtr because its torquey, comfortable and handles well.

My gs is a nice old retro beast thatll tour two up all day in comfort.

The xr is plated and a ablast pretty much anywhere!

- boingk
  8. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    Dirt rider since about 1968, although I had a couple of non-riding periods through my middle years. I was a KTM fan since before they were KTM's. :D

The adventure bike thing is like the culmination of all things riding. Dirt experience with road experience, and backpack gear makes for some really awesome trips.

I've had quite a few road bikes as well, and now own what I think are state of the art in two realms:

Dualsporting: 2011 Husqvarna TE630
    Adventure Touring: 2012 Triumph Tiger 800XC

They are completely different, and both very high performance for the realm in which they were created. The Tiger is my 'road bike' and the husky is my 'dirt bike'. Niether does the other very well - the husky is pretty bad for any distance road, and the Tiger is way too heavy for any kind of really tough offroad terrain. Both are setup for camping off the bike.
  9. Aussijussi

Aussijussi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had both, dirt bikes and street, the last street bike being VFR750.
    I was interested in Speed Triple, but could not find one to test, so I got the 990 adv. That was six years ago, and i've been happy with it. However, KTM now make 1190 adv, which now comes with 19/17 wheel sizes, the R model has 21/18 hoops. I test rode the R model, as due to the demand, dealers are out of the 1190adv. The R is high, I am 185cm, 6ft something, I could reach the ground without leaning the bike, but short arses are going to be in strife with this one.The new motor is something else, you hear it as soon as you start it up, this thing has grunt. For a giant chook chaser, 150 neddies is a lot, if you need that much, that's up to the individual, but fuuuuck it takes off, good torque too.
    I gather they are not in US yet, but when it's possible, take one for a spin
  10. browneye

browneye PIN IT & BANG GEARS

Oddometer:
    They new standard 1190's are landing here, they had some demos at the national KTM Rally earlier this month in Colorado. The 'R' is slated to arrive early next year.

So yeah, its a little early for them yet although a guy could put a deposit on one with his dealer.

Much as I love KTM's I'm not a big fan of their multi-cylinder bikes due to finicky maintenance. I'm guessing this new one is better, seems to have longer maintenance intervals.

But you're right, they're still big bikes to be trying to take offroad. No different than any of the giant ADV bikes though, like Tenere, GS, Stelvio, etc. For an advanced/expert offroader I'm sure they're gonna fill the bill. I also think there will be a lot of guys that think they want one and find out they bit off more than they can chew. Same deal happened with the SE - lots of them get turned over for sale.

The new water cooler GS beat out the 1190 in the adventure bike comparo in the Alps in Motorcyclist Online this month. It's said the 'LC' is the top dog. (liquid cooled)
  11. TDM Rider

TDM Rider MInister of Repair

Oddometer:
    Seems like I'm in good company here.

Started riding dirt bikes over 30 years ago (and still do) and when it came time to go street, I found the sport bikes just felt too strange. So my first road bike as a TDM850 which I loved and rode for 10 years. Then I bought a GS and am now on to my third.

I still find the 'big dirt bike' feel right for me. Tried a friend's Sportster recently and it scared the hell out of me. Felt like it wouldn't turn into corners for anything. I had to slow down so much to feel comfortable riding it on a twisty road that I felt like I was going to fall over. Guess I learned why Harley riders hold-up traffic.

So I guess I'm sticking with the ADV bikes for sure. And as much as I like my GS, there are times when something a little sportier like a Multistrada seems appealing.
  12. snooter

snooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    well i avoid street bikes..just not my thing...bmw F650, Ktm 690, klr and the suzuki DR yama wr250(modern favorites and with some upgrades are hellish good adv bikes.)..now that being said i do like all bikes and i dont care what you ride..but since you asked..1939 indian chief....
  13. YAHBO

YAHBO Grip and rip since 1983

Oddometer:
    I have been ripping around on a 690 Duke lately and my other street bikes sit...my main dirt bike is a 500 EXC.

Duke thread and pics:

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=891638

KTM sells a nice set of soft bags for the Duke, too. If you can get used to the buzz of the big single, it's a great sport touring bike.

As I recently posted in another thread, I am riding the street less and less but when I do hit the asphalt, the Duke provides a very exciting experience.

Oh, and it rips on the track, too.
  14. AustinJake

AustinJake DR650 - Versys

Oddometer:
    I started dual-sport riding in 1969 on a CL70, 44 years now, for the street, rode a Harley for awhile, got boring fast. I don't have much use for more than 50 HP so my Versys is all I need (after my Husky). The Versys is the most fun, least maintenance, most reliable bike I have ever had.

[​IMG]
  15. tkent02

tkent02 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the old UJMs, they are comfortable, and feel like big fat old dirt bikes.

Suzuki specifically, because they still carry parts decades later.
  16. buls4evr

buls4evr No Marks....

Oddometer:
    My street bike is a heavily farkled WeeStrom that has MX bars and cleated footpegs on it. A passable streetbike. Was very comfortable on a recent trip from MI to Iowa and back, yet can still explore the dirt roads pretty well.

The real dirt bike is an EXC 500.