Dakar Dazed - countdown to bankruptcy!

Discussion in 'Racing' started by JMo (& piglet), Sep 1, 2010.

1. Bicycle Phil

Bicycle Phil Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

A huge +1
  2. Lobster Grrl

Lobster Grrl Ground feeder

Oddometer:
    Way to go!
    Keep us posted!

lg
  3. SonHomme

SonHomme Team F5,⌘R FYCYFF

Oddometer:
  4. svizzerams

svizzerams Rx Rangerette

Oddometer:
    Dakar Season is just around the corner!!!
  5. sdh2020

sdh2020 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just a thorght and it may take some doing. The dirt bike show is coming up at stoneleigh park in November. You could try and get yourself, desert rose racing, si pavey, tamsin,Matt Hall, Plumie etc,etc with the bikes and support vehicals there.

This imo will raise more intrest in rallying in the uk. Will also give you possiable sponsership options.

and allow me to buy a couple of overpriced T shirts:clap
  6. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Aha! Not sure if I can get everyone you mention together, but yes, it is my intention to be at the show this year (with the bike) possible on one of my Sponsor's stands... I'm also going to be putting a 'Supporters Package' together with some tasty merchandise in return for your cash... it will all be good gear I recommend and use - info to follow shortly...

J x

Jx
  7. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    ...and here they are!

I managed to pop in and see my bike at GMX before catching my flight to the USA yesterday...

[​IMG]

Dave has done a great job on the centre tank (can you spot it?!), and is working on the two water tanks (1.5l each side) for the bash-plate... they'll be done for when I get back at the end of this month.

[​IMG]

I decided to remove the rear Safari tank for a number of reasons - one it got misshapen in the heat, and was a pig to reattach as the mounting holes didn't line up... and also, it was a lump behind the seat I didn't need (although in honesty it wasn't hard to get on and off the bike, and it didn't weigh that much).

However, by removing the rear tank, it means the back of the bike is exactly like the stock enduro now - slim and lightweight (so no extra stress on the lightweight subframe), and easy/quick to flip up should I need access to the rear shock and carb for example.

The void between the twin front tanks was ideal for my 3 litre water and tyre levers/zip-ties etc. in Tunisia... however, as you can see from the photo above, it has also proved large enough to take a 5 litre auxiliary/reserve tank instead (with the water and sundries to be relocated), so I still have the same fuel capacity as I did with the rear tank fitted - result!

[​IMG]

GMX have done a fantastic job of making a tank that sits underneath the stock seat base, and the filler is the same as the side tanks (note Dave's attention to detail - the Acerbis logo on the filler is horizontal - he welded the neck to the tank making sure it was! - this is why I love these guys!)

The water tank 'cheeks' will fit either side of the Flatland Racing skid plate, and continue the profile of the tanks downwards...

[​IMG]

And the bike is looking very slim and lightweight, with all the fluids 'mass centralised' between the axles, which is exactly what I wanted!

Finally, the bike will have a new front fender fitted - I'm going for one of the KTM Adventure style ones like I have on the Tenere (and that Meca'system use on their rally-bike conversions) as it offers better mud clearance and additional support to the rear of the fender.

I'm also planing a new paintjob/graphics, but that is partially dependent on getting a major sponsor...

[​IMG]

Toot toot for now! - I'm off to ride an XT225 Serow around the streets of San Francisco!

Jenny xx
  8. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Looking very nice. BTW, how do you get the seat to stay down now that the tank is there?
  9. ktmJOE

ktmJOE Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What brand are those handguards?
  10. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    They are Barkbuster Storm's, designed & intended for SE's & the like but make great rallye guards with the large plastics and alloy backbone :thumbup
  11. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    nice looking machine Jenny, have fun in SF and say hi to Charlie and the boys for us:D
  12. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:

Hee hee magic - I will it to stay down!

No, as you can probably tell, it's not quite finished yet - it will have a boss to fix the [plastic] lug from the OEM tank on, that locates in the seat base... also, as you can probably see in the close up picture, there will be a mount at the rear of the tank that locates on the frame boss (with a rubber bush), plus the upright on the JVO bracket that holds the top of the side tanks will be bent back slightly at the same angle as the front of the alloy tank, and another mounting boss/rubber positioned there...

J x
  13. JMo (& piglet)

Oddometer:
    As Safariberg says, Barkbuster Storms, which are my new best favorite now.

I used to use Acerbis Rally Pros, but like a lot of people, find they end up bending after a few spills, and can look really tatty pretty quickly...

The Barkbuster mounting brackets and alloy spine bar seem ever bit as/even stronger than the Acerbis, and the Storm shields (available separately as spares btw.) give great coverage... I like to have my levers angled downwards (MTB style) and have found most hand guards aren't deep enough to have the alloy spine in-line to protect the levers and the shield your knuckles, but the Storms are ample in that respect... I'd recommend them for any dual-sport/adventure bike too, particularly in nasty weather!

J x
  14. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribed! :lurk

Congratulations, I'll be following along with your adventure. Thanks for all the write-up and photos, it's great seeing all the gory details of the bike and kit. Keep it coming and best of luck!
  15. BLINKER 152

BLINKER 152 mudlover

Oddometer:
    :lurk :bow cant wait! best of luck and thanks for sharing your experience with us.
  16. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Awesome! How'd I miss this thread for so long?

:ricky
  17. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    If you have time and can get the bike up here I will ride you around Yosemite..

Michael
  18. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Too buzy making training road books for us loosers!
  19. skibum69

skibum69 slave to gravity Supporter

Oddometer:
    actually he's too busy looking in his mirrors:lol3
  20. Evil Invader

Evil Invader Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, seems like Princess Annie got herself some serious competition this year... :deal

Best of luck to you Jenny! :clap

:freaky