Pensacola area riders

Discussion in 'The Sandbox - AKA Flatistan' started by XT Thumper, Mar 11, 2008.

1. rotorhead511

rotorhead511 Live and let live.

Oddometer:
    Orange Garrett, did your 300 come with the light kit?
  2. AST236

AST236 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just got back from Barber Motosports Park. Watched AMA Superbikes, 600 Supersport and XR1200's.

Rode the FJR up on Friday, ate well, rode some great roads, saw some amazing racing.

:D
  3. Barney

Barney I reckon so

Oddometer:
    :nod

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  4. OrangeGarrett

OrangeGarrett Ride'n With Rupert

Oddometer:
    No. I ordered the Sicass Racing plug n play kit that includes headlight mask, rear under fender, tail light, tag plate, brake light switch, horn, high, low, off bar mount switch. If you don't want to drill hole thru rear fender, also get exc type fender (sicass-orange, white, black) as xc and xcw bikes don't normally come with female bosses to mount underfender kit. I didn't know this when I put kit on my xcw.
  5. OrangeGarrett

OrangeGarrett Ride'n With Rupert

Oddometer:
    Was still the best BW ride I've been on so far, even with a front flat. Thanks guys for a fun trip. Spcl thanks to Barney for leading me on four mile shortcut back to Karick.
  6. papa wheelie

papa wheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok opinions wanted, hadukie scout or whatever you call them 50/50 tires or tried and true 908 rr $200.00 for the rear great tire, what im using now, or perrelli mt 90 70/30? Im thinking sense I have the shornifty (that's code for 450) that a more DS type tire would be mo beta for the 690E. Has any one used the hayduka scouts?
  7. papa wheelie

papa wheelie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    still thinking about marks 530? might sell my 690 E if your wanting a B.A. DUAL SPORT you can ride it to Black Water have fun and ride home or wherever u want
  8. RuckedUp

RuckedUp Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Picked up a GS LC today. This summer is looking up. That BMW shop still around in PCola? For warranty work of course:)

[​IMG]
  9. freebornman

freebornman pointman

Oddometer:
    man rucked up ,
    you gotta get yourself a hobby?
    fbm

10. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    I agree with FBM - you gotta get a life. Ya know go to Europe, race in Africa, buy GSs and roam around Germany ... ya know do SOMETHING!

Looking forward to seeing you again. Perhaps you will share some of your more boring episodes over a beer or two!:freaky:freaky:freaky

We can drink them out of the beer cooler in your ruck.
  11. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yo riders. DR.Z is stuck in Pensacola in the woody wagon and needs some assistance ASAP. Text me for his info! 850 two two eight one eight one two
  12. Madhouse

Madhouse Semi-Goodlookin! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got this.

Going to pick him and his family up now.
  13. Just_P_Dirty

Just_P_Dirty Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer:
    anyone riding on Sat? got a new 690 i would like try out! the guy who bought my old bike is gonna ride up from pcola to explore BW so thats 2 already...
  14. Shadrick

Shadrick n00b

Oddometer:
    Not sure if this is the proper place for an introduction, but I am new around here and wanted to say hello. I am also new to the Ft. Walton Beach area, and have ridden street bikes for years...mostly Buells and Harleys. The roads here are terribly boring to me, so I've decided to venture into the dirt world. Neither my Harley or Ducati are worth a penny off pavement. Therefore, I sold the Hypermotard to get something more dual purpose so that I can explore the range and local forests.

With all that said, I am used to powerful bikes, but a n00b when it comes to offroad on 2 wheels. I am also unfamiliar with what is beyond the pavement in this area (except for your all's pics.) I was hoping you guys could share some insight on what types of bikes are best suitable for the area. I want something street legal, and preferably fuel injected since I've never owned a carbed bike.

So far I have shopped a KTM 690 Enduro R, DRZ400s/sm(not FI:huh), 250 enduros, various supermotos, and even a triumph scrambler that i would put on a diet and add knobbies. Price isnt a huge issue, but the better deal I can get on a bike, the more leftover cash I'll have for necessary mods. :)

I appreciate any advice/input and hope to get to ride with you all in the near future.
  15. Hatch

Hatch Perpetually lost

Oddometer:
    welcome shadrick
    you need to ride a true blue dirtbike first, IMHO. Get a feel for riding dirt before you go throwing down a chunk of change on something like a 690. see if you can sweet talk someone into letting you ride their dirtbike. stay away from two strokes til you have a feeling for dirt. tire pressure is important in the dirt, as is suspension setup.

a little anecdote:

my buddy was in the same boat, rode a 636 as his daily driver for years, alot of the time up on one wheel. I convinced him to come to the dirt side, but he is one that has to have the biggest and baddest, he went out and bought a 690 and it threw him like a wild mustang here and there and everywhere and made it not fun at all for him. eventually he broke his wrist and sold it. now he owns a much smaller DS and loves it.

you will fall - spend money on a good set of MX boots, some $20 kneepads, long socks, riding gloves, and full face mx helmet/goggles.

if you stick to it, once you get your sand legs you'll come to love the dirt and wonder why anyone rides the street, when given the choice.
  16. Vico1

Vico1 The Maestro

Oddometer:
    This is the right place. And welcome aboard!:clap

I might suggest you review Post #2 for some basics on places and types of rides.

Several of the locals have some great bikes for sale right now. There are several KTMs and a 450 Husky that are dirt ready. All street legal of course but still dirt oriented - These bikes you truck/trailer to the riding area and THEN ride.

Also some good DS bikes for the real Adventure Rider spirit of riding and exploring on the same bike. These are more street that you CAN ride off road.

Sounds like you have the street covered.

Dirt riding right now is HOT - unless you catch some rain. So keep an eye out for rides after rain showers...

I live in FWB also so hit me up when you get ready to tackle the sand and Eglin!:eek1

Edit : What Hatch said also! Good advice.
  17. Just_P_Dirty

Just_P_Dirty Its more fun when Dirty!

Oddometer:
    the 690 i bought is my 4th dirt bike. i too started small and light. it helps especially when you have to pick them up. i ride mine to work also so i got used to handling a bigger bike and slowing down a bit as a trade off for riding on the street. i like to ride to work and wanted to be ablle to cruise at 80 for 15 miles straight fighting mornin traffic. going to ride to work tomorrow for the first time. i also like ktms because i saw one that hit a tree head on at high speed, laid on its side for about 30 mins and i picked it up, started right up and i rode it out of the woods. the rider was airlifted to a hospital...
  18. rotorhead511

rotorhead511 Live and let live.

Oddometer:
    Great bunch of guys here.

I started riding dirt bikes with these FF's about 1 1/2 years ago and it's been a blast. I've learned a lot and everyone keeps track of everyone. There is great riding to be had in the area.

Sent you a PM in regards to a bike for sale.
  19. Buzztail

Buzztail Buzztopian OG Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 hatch. I can attest to the 690 being a bad first dirtbike... it is a real learner bike though cause it'll learn ya
  20. RuckedUp

RuckedUp Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I plan on starting a RR thread in the next week for a ride up to the Arctic Circle starting on the 10th of July. Figured its a good run in for the bike! Plan on tagging Sweden Norway and Finland! Going to camp along the way. The above mentioned countries have free roam laws where you can over night camp anywhere as long as your 250meters from a persons home! So ride till we need sleep, repeat. Tempted to hit a few of the ex soviet bloc countries on the way back down, but the way those Vodka fueled FF drive I have my reservation:1drink