Here I go again on my own-B1k

Discussion in 'Racing' started by frog, Jul 16, 2012.

1. GnarlyKarle

GnarlyKarle aka: ici_moto

Oddometer:
  2. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
  3. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just posted on his Facebook wall. :D

Race reported coming soon.
  4. High Desert Rider

High Desert Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Must have been Juan Carlos Lopez. Gordon would have found you after the race and told you how ignorant you must be for not just getting out of his way.

:asshat Can you tell how I feel about Robby?
  5. AngryShawn

AngryShawn Punchbowl Pooper

Oddometer:
    Remember, there were 8 orange speed energy/rpm vehicles entered in this years 1k, across multiple categories:
    TT, C1, C5-1600, C6, C8, C4, C2 and Sportsman Buggy.
    Not that it would surprise me if it was RG that gave you a love tap, just sayin it may have been the 6 or 8 trucks.

In any case, glad you made it to LaPaz safely and under the time limit, congratulations to you and your crew for a job well done :clap
  6. AirborneAndy

AirborneAndy Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Just looking thru some pics from the race and one of my friends snapped a few of truck #839 in El Arco just before you came thru Matt.

Attached Files:

7. frank wheelbarrow

frank wheelbarrow ten four

Oddometer:
    NORTHERN UTAH, PLANET EARTH ITS ALL THE SAME!!!
    Let's:hung

Great Job Frog!!
  8. AngryShawn

Oddometer:
    839 = class 8 truck driven by Rudolfo Iribe and Mark Newhan
  9. B1KSOLO

B1KSOLO Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/atta...s a picture of Rudy he's the ugly one :freaky
  10. Irish1

Irish1 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Does NORRA have any system in place to penalize these truck whack-jobs that are endangering Bikes?
    It's going to cost a huge amount if an injured bike racer files an expensive Civil Suit against NORRA and
    the individual driver/team. It doesn't matter how MANY waivers participants sign if the organization can be
    shown to be negligent in protecting participants. :deal You're not the only rider who was given a "friendly"
    nudge by trucks in the Baja this year. :eek1
  11. pfdskipper

pfdskipper Westside Trash Supporter

Oddometer:

NORRA????:huh
  12. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    Warning- I’m sure that I’ll get some of the timeline wrong. After about 12 hrs on the bike it all just mixes together.:freaky

I was surprised that waiting in line at the start I was really relaxed. I kept telling myself to stick to the plan and dont do anything stupid but after leaving the line I couldn’t help it and rode a wheelie for a little ways. We dropped into the wash and it was awesome to finally hit dirt and be on the way.:happay

The first 40 miles went by pretty quick and I was really glad I preran the start. There were tons of people trying to get you to go the wrong way and signs switched around.

The first time I would see some of my chase crew (well Crosscountry’s chase crew that he sent my way when he decided to puss out :lol3) was going to be around mile 150. When I got to the pit it was awesome to see the guys and they immediately asked what I needed and if the bike needed anything. The bike was in good shape and all I needed was some food. So after some grub and some bullshitting I was off.:kumbaya

The san felipe section had been the driving force getting me out of bed and into the gym.:lift I was really worried that after all the whoops I would be whooped with not enough to make it the final 800+ miles. I decided to look for alternate lines in the cactus as much as possible to avoid some whoops and it worked pretty well. A few miles on the main track then off into the cactus for a few. I was keeping a nice steady pace and was having a blast. Once I hit old poticitos rd I slowed because the last thing I needed was to wreck in the rocks. It didn’t seem like long, I hit the pavement and started laughing at how good I felt.:gdog I was so worried about being spent and I felt like I had just gone for one of our sunday rides... I guess the gym does work.:huh

Next thing I knew I was at Coco’s corner. This would be my first crash and hopefully it was entertaining. :shog I went through the pits and made the turn toward the check and caught a rock with the rear wheel. A swap or two ended in a low side. The guys at the check made sure I was ok and off I went. When I was picking up my bike I realized what RM I was at and it looked like the sun was getting low so after the check I decided to pick up the pace and make sure I got to my chase crew with the sun still up.

When I came into the pit I pulled my front brakes and there was nothing there. My chasers flagged me down and immediately went to work putting my lights on, changing the air filter and working on my front brake. Kanook already filled everyone in on the front brake issue but it wasn’t as bad as he says. It was a long pit but who would look for front brake pads missing? We all thought it was air in the line and low fluid. They got the bike going filled me full of food and off I went.

From the start to rm348 I had a hell of a good time. :):wings
  13. bajaboundmoto

bajaboundmoto Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    By the way... Rudy absolutely a top notch guy, former bike racer, super experienced, and I'd say would be super gentle in the truck around bikers. The other driver Mark is a good guy but I do not know his moto background if any.

And being buddies with many car/truck racers, hearing stories, and having ridden in a TT I gotta say it's not all on the drivers shoulders to keep the bikers safe. What some bikers do in front of race cars is absolutly crazy insane. Bikers will try to keep the truck behind them, they'll jackrabbit the truck, they'll do stupid shit like wear headphones for music or ear plugs when racing and don't have a clue, and they'll pull back onto the course after getting passed when it's still dusty without getting a real good look at what's coming from miles OR YARDS back.
    Not trying to start a debate, that debate was a few years ago post Baja 500...
  14. Cornbread82

Cornbread82 Sir Crash A Lot!

Oddometer:
    Frog on the podium
    [​IMG]
  15. commander51

commander51 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I couldn't agree with you more about "What some bikers do in front of race cars is absolutly crazy insane" but I think the issue he had was with one truck in particular and I will tell you Matt is one hell of a rider and knows what these trucks are capable of, so I doubt very highly he was trying to out run or play jackrabbit with the truck. Very poor judgment on someones part driving the truck is all I think was trying to be conveyed. But thanks for the tutorial on what moto guys are capable of :evil Not trying to start a argument, just sayin is all. :D
  16. frog

frog Long timer

Oddometer:
    I take some responsibility for what happened and shit happens during a race. It sucked and I'm glad I'm ok. Like I said on another thread he did try and go around me and slide back into the track. I should have been out of his way. So yes it was rider error but in the end he is in a truck, passing a rider, he made a mistake and hit me. Luckily it didn't end my race and just screwed with my head for awhile.
  17. B1KSOLO

B1KSOLO Living the Dream

Oddometer:
    Btw Tim..... I don't know this guy and I'm sure he's a solid guy, no ones even sure who was driving at the time, but if and person runs into a biker (a human being) with a 4000lb truck accidentally or prosperously, whether it the riders fault or not and doesn't stop to see if the rider is okay or needs help and leaves him out in the desert to fend for himself, this is -uck up imho. I raced for a lot of years and had my share of mishaps in which with I had to own and I don't see any ownership here
  18. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority

Oddometer:
  19. AngryShawn

Oddometer:
    :rofl@ strongbad
  20. AirborneAndy

AirborneAndy Vagabond

Oddometer:
    Sorry... wasnt trying to instigate anything. Just thought that any issues should at least be taken up with the right parties.

Congrats again Matt. :clap And thanks for the race report, cant wait to hear the rest.