What seat to buy?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by yzmaico, Jun 11, 2011.

1. Valleyrider

Valleyrider I Survived The '60s

Oddometer:
    Kinda chiming in late since I just saw this thread. Had one on my 1250 since they were first offered by Sargent.
    One thing that was not mentioned is that Sargent has a policy of "30 days money back" if you purchase from them. In other words, Try it and if you don't like it, send it back. It only cost you the shipping. Just look at that as rental if you don't like the seat!
  2. duck

duck Banned

Oddometer:
    + a Brazillion

There's a special place in hell for whoever designed K bike stock seats...
  3. Valleyrider

Valleyrider I Survived The '60s

Oddometer:
    The same was true with the R1100S seat.....
  4. Bigfatoldbiker

Bigfatoldbiker n00b

Oddometer:
    +1 on Russell, most comfortable seat I have ever had. Great service and build quality.
  5. The PacRat

The PacRat I'm that other guy

Oddometer:
    Before you spend a shitload of money on a new seat, you might want to spend the $6-8 dollars it takes to make what I call the CHEAPSKIN seat pad.

Yes, it is a carpeted toilet seat cover stuffed with padding.

Works very well. Add whatever foam you want and then put a non-skid liner on the bottom and there you go.

[​IMG]

If you feel a bit fancy - here is version #2

[​IMG]
  6. yzmaico

yzmaico Slacker

Oddometer:
    I like the Sargent seat, but I did buy the seat from the Motorcycle Superstore not directly from Sargent, although I think the Superstore also has a pretty good return policy, I returned a helmet with no problems.
  7. yzmaico

yzmaico Slacker

Oddometer:

You know the first version kinda looks like the ButtBuffer pad I tried. I tried an AirHawk pad and it was real comfy, but it squirmed around alot, just felt weird on a spirited ride.
  8. The PacRat

The PacRat I'm that other guy

Oddometer:
    It won't slip if you add the non slip liner to the bottom - plus I use a strap across the seat so I can remove it and stow it overnight.

Crap - for less than $10 you can try this out. You may find you do not need a new seat after all. I have used this on three different bikes (KLR, Reflex and PC800) and it made all the difference in the world on all of them.

[​IMG]
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  10. zap2504

zap2504 Dave E.

Oddometer:
    Has anybody tried out the Bill Mayer Saddles Ergo Contour (http://billmayer-saddles.com/BMS/bms-ergo/)? It looks like one of their custom saddles mounted to a "U"-shaped seat adapter.

The funny thing is that I remember a guy building a similar saddle - there is a writeup about it in the Oct 2009 edition of the VJMC newsletter. Guy had an Airhawk pad from a previous CBR1000F he sold. Tried to use it on a '75 CB750 but the OEM seat was too narrow to support the Airhawk. So he made a plywood support pad and wooden side bolsters to hold it on to the CB750 seat. Then he could take off the whole assembly if he wanted the stock seat showing.
  11. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
    http://www.astechseat.com/

This guy is really good and WAY under the radar screen. In my seat cover business I deal with all guys with aftermarker seats looking for what I do to keep 'em dry. Russell owners are by far the #1 customer and owners love the seats. This guy Pat gets the same type of comments from owners of his seats.
    You may want to check him out.

KoF
    www.kingoffleece.com
    5 out of 5 stars MCN June 2012 issue
  12. daysgoneby

daysgoneby Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer: