Vario Top Box Adapter Plate Install

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by konacyclist, Nov 2, 2012.

1. konacyclist

konacyclist Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I am looking for the printed instructions to install the adapter plate which allows the BMW Vario Top Box to mount over the existing rear rack on my 2012 R1200GS. I have all of the parts and it doesn't appear all that complicated but I want to do it right in order to minimize the risk of the top box spontaneously ejecting. Yes, I know it could still fall off no matter what I do but at least I will know I have installed it properly. I have searched this site and Google with no success finding the instructions. Thanks.:ear
  2. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
  3. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Just be aware that the official instructions have you taking off some stuff and filing some stuff and you DO NOT need to do it on the later model GS's. I started off following the instructions and had the luggage rack about half off before I read ahead and realized I didn't need to do any of that on my '09. The install really is simple and straightforward.

Oh, and, with the top plate kit for mine, it was missing 2 required bolts. The ones that go through the black U-shaped rear support piece. I went back to A&S and they pulled out another top box kit and it was missing the same 2 bolts. Both kits were previously unopened. So, you might want to check and make sure you have all required parts before you start.
  4. konacyclist

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the link but it shows how to install the adapter in place of the passenger seat. What I am looking for are the directions for installing the adapter in the rearmost luggage rack position. It actually goes on top of the existing rack but adds the attachment points for the top box.
  5. konacyclist

Oddometer:
    I am fairly certain that I have the necessary hardware since I purchased my top box from another inmate and I trust that he sent me everything, except the instructions! In fairness to the seller, his bike came with the top box installed so he likely never saw the instructions.
  6. LaurelPerryOnLand

LaurelPerryOnLand Long timer

Oddometer:
    Doesn't it seems like BMW Motorrad should have an INSTALLATION PDF source for ALL of their products?

If somebody know where's it's at...please reply.
  7. konacyclist

Oddometer:
    I did finally locate a copy of the instructions and got the adapter plate mounted successfully. My thanks to all who responded. :clap
  8. miro9

miro9 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am missing bolts as well. What did you end up doing without the bolts? The fiche indicates item "9" - ISA screw M6X25 but also there is the item without the number "only use with conjunction..." TORX Bolt ISA M6X26. Which one is it? It also seems that existing bolts at that location might be used.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/DiagramsMain.aspx?vid=52024&rnd=08102012

Thank you.
  9. StuartV

StuartV Motorcyclist

Oddometer:
    I went back to the dealer (A&S) and they found bolts of the correct specs in their parts bin and gave them to me.

To know which bolts you need, I suggest looking at the instructions that came with the top plate - not the fiche for the top case carrier. The instruction sheet that came with the top case carrier made it clear exactly what bolts I needed (and were missing). But, I don't remember what they were....
  10. bimmer5891

bimmer5891 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The bolts do not come with the kit. As crazy as it sounds must be ordered separately. I do not have the pn with me but if anyone needs it pm and I can give it to you or even get a set to you. I usually keep them in stock. Its one of those scases of BMW selling everything seperately.
  11. Prodaddy

Prodaddy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have the top box for 2010 GS but have misplaced (lost!) the adapter that fits on the rearmost luggage rack. Have not been able to locate one. Am preparing to sell bike and really need the adapter...
  12. mefly2

mefly2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Does anyone have a top view photo / schematic of the adapter plate to help fab one up ?