I want I want I want - new(er) bike advice

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Mark_S, Mar 2, 2013.

1. stegs

stegs Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  2. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Nah, it was an Aussie that split the pav, remember? :D
  3. bart-nz

bart-nz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Aussies are too greedy. They'd keep it all for themselves. :lol3
  4. Ducatijim

Ducatijim Hopeless Poseuer! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't worry bout the imagined 'orphan' status....their following worldwide is immense( hence the prices) and there are so many aftermarket parts being offered.
    Everywhere both here and all round the US, I was welcomed at any HD dealer and never have had issues with their supply of parts.
    When they dry up, other suppliers will take over I am expecting.

V good bikes for relaxed adventuring.
  5. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Since I hurt my back about 6-8 weeks ago I have had to largely steer clear of the trail and trials bikes and have been using the klr quite a bit - at least 3000km or so and I've discovered that despite my initial waffle I'm not really over adventure bikes.

On just about every ride I ended up exploring some dirt roads and on Saturday ended up popping through the 42nd on my way to Taumarnaui and on Sunday ended up exploring a really neat trail that I found on my way down to have a cup of tea at the Whanga pub.

So even though I really liked the Bandit a pure road bike isnt an option.

So in the 7-10k price range that leaves the following as yet unridden contenders:

tdm900
    tiger 955
    transalp 700

or

another KLR

There are a few relatively low cost mods I can do to the klr to improve the power and braking of my existing bike so I might do those and see how it goes while I wait for local versions of the above 3 bikes to appear on tardme. It is quite possible though that I may simply end up buying another low km klr - that would be my third - I may have a problem...

Tire question:
    This weekend I put a 1000k or so on the new shinko 705 rear and was very happy with it. The front mt21 is now stuffed - I could just whack on a Shinko ($107) on the front or I could put on a flash radial like an Anakee 2 ($160)?

can you mix radials and cross-plys on a motorbike?
    Is the anakee or something similar going to offer an advantage on a low powered bike like the klr? The thing I most hate on the road is losing the front so I'm happy to spend the extra if there if a benefit.
  6. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    Dunno about on a KLR, but on the TT and DR I don't get any front end push or washing out with the 705 front.

Did with the Shinko 244 front...
  7. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like the dilemma I'm having...
    Thought I wanted a 100% road bike... more I think about it..
    Like the idea of a good touring bike that can wander down gravel roads
    like Molesworth / Dansys pass etc..
    most lightly going to be a Honda NC700 "this week"
    The specs between the "S" & "X" versions is almost the same
    Other than the "X" being 40mm taller seat & 25mm more ground clearance
    over the "S" road version... prob the "S" with a set of 705s would be just
    as good on gravel...

NC700X ===> http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_nc700x_2012.php

NC700S ===> http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_nc700s_2012.php

just need a buyer for the XR250... don't need 3 bikes to reg....

8. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Must be something in the air, hours searching trade me and a KLR is all I can come up with too (no imagination or what?), but the mods I have done recently on mine have changed the bike a lot. Big front rotor means it now stops and the rejet and advancing the exhaust cam has made the motor come alive, and I can still dump it in a rocky creek a couple of times and ride home with no damage.:clap
    So road bike= Naaaaaa.
  9. tri boy

tri boy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "Ummmm, I think i,ll have two all day gob stoppers, nah, actually make that a packet of jet planes and, no, I reckon snakes with some eskimo's, then again three lollipops for twenty cents............."

At this point the shop keeper kicks him fair up the arse.

No children were harmed in this episode:D
  10. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    trade me search only thing is a tiger....expand the years abit and it becomes a bit more interesting ktm 990,few more tigers..
  11. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Padmei, are you using TriBoy's login again?
  12. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
  13. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    if you get to ride a 700 let me know what you think
    I'm glad I'm not the only one with these difficult problems

great minds think alike huh

or is it fools seldom differ......

well I suppose that was entirely called for...

you are still a complete prick though
  14. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    You don't need an adventure bike for dirt roads. All-rounders (that is, anything but a big-mutha tourer or a hyper-sprotsbike) are fine on dirt roads. At the time I had both the Trophy and the Tiger, I did more dirt on the Trophy, usually two-up with camping gear, than I did on the Tiger. That was purely because when we were touring I never let a dirt road put me off going to interesting places. It was fine, easily do the speed limit on a good dirt road. A naked would be better than a fully-faired in that regard, if only for the extra ground clearance. The belly-pan of the Trophy copped a few whacks on rock ledges and kerbs etc.

Yes, narrow 21" fronts are better, but they are not mandatory.

At the risk of sounding boring, you can port those to a newer KLR for next to no cost when the time comes, too.

You are not supposed to, but adventurers mix'n'match their tyres so much I don't think anyone would particularly notice.

Road riders often put a stickier tyre on the front (and indeed, within the same model, tyre manufacturers now do this) which means the back is going to let go first, causing a high-side. It also tends to dismiss the idea that you need rear traction to balance the bike and get you through any given turn.

Adventure riders often put a stickier tyre (for tarmac, that is, closer-pattern tread) on the rear which means the bike front-end steers better in the dirt and gets better mileage from the rear. This means on-road the front is going to let go first, causing a low-side. This also tends to dismiss the effects of rear-wheel steering, which I have learnt is very worthwhile off-tarmac.

Which would you rather have: high-side or low-side, hmmm? :scratch
  15. Mark_S

Oddometer:
    Thanks Nordie

oooh theres a 955 tiger in Wellywood - I might see if I can have a look tonight seeing as I'm in town today. There is also a tidy tiger in Taupo I might have a look at. And there are also some transalps at the honda dealer in Pamly so thats nice and close too.

Thanks

While I'm sure a big stable road bike is fine on smooth dirt, in hindsight (and contrary to my earlier waffle), I really want to retain the capability of going through places like the 42nd traverse or big river.

It seems that what is optimal for dirt (knobby front and milder rear) is the opposite of what you want on the seal.

I actually haven't found the cornering limits of the mt21 on the seal but heavy braking really destroys the knobs - the current tire has actually started ripping chunks off the back off the knobs. I should have done what Nordie suggested and rotated it half way through its life.

Actually what I really fancy right now is a strop over Takaka hill and a cruise up to cobb dam and then around to anatori. Might come down after easter if I can swing it - would any of you Nelson sods be interested?.
  16. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Yes...

Been wanting to get out to Anatori to the sand dunes...
  17. Manakau.KTM

Manakau.KTM Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Mark

Your problem with choice probably reflects the constant compromise that we all are faced with. When I'm on the tarseal with the KTM, I would rather be on the Guzzi and when I hit gravel on the Guzzi I think of the KTM. Surprisingly the old seventies bikes with their narrow tyres handle gravel ok. Clip ons aren't helpful though.

I'll keep an eye on this thread and may join you down South if work doesn't get in the way.

Cheers

Wayne
  18. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Current forecast is for rain from Sunday through next Thursday.
  19. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Yes this sod is, got some nice smooth tyres I wanna try out on the takaka hill (over knobblies) and have never been to anatori.

If your back wasn't so fcuked we could take you on one of those stupid NADS rides, but only as a prospect at this stage so don't get your hopes up.
  20. NordieBoy

Oddometer:
    Aorere Goldfields is (almost on the way)...