The TAT Preparation Thread-the logistical side of it

Discussion in 'Americas' started by leftystrat62, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Kirkster

Kirkster Parts Murderer

Oddometer:
    Well looks like the first pass should be open soon.

[​IMG]

The second pass on the other hand...

[​IMG]
  2. Kirkster

Kirkster Parts Murderer

Oddometer:
    Start time is rapidly approaching. We leave on Wed from MD. So with a little luck we will be getting dirty on Thursday.
  3. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking like a very late august departure for me!
  4. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You guys will have a blast but god is it going to be brutal in Utah. I had some nasty sweaty days when I was there in May!
  5. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I really hope it isn't too bad. I don't cope well with 90+ heat. I would have been doing this trip later, but my mom is getting married sept 21st and it really fucked my plans. I'll probably just ride during the cooler hours and take shelter under the bike during the hottest ones.
  6. GSF1200S

GSF1200S Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I hear you. I can do heat, but I RUN when I sweat so I lose water and electrolytes fast. There is no escape from the sun out there at times and its so arid that it will suck the water out of you. I brought power bars and a 3 liter camelbak.. I still spent one night riding back to moab thinking "must..get...more..water...NOW".

Just saying to be careful. Its usually not that bad but it only takes once. If nothing else the rest of the tat should be awesome. The Arkansas portion was a total surprise and a total blast.
  7. Kirkster

Kirkster Parts Murderer

Oddometer:
    I have a 3 liter Geigerrig rig and also have another 3 liter Geigerrig bladder that will be full when we start to get to the hot places.

You can't get enough water out in the hot dry places.
  8. stuntheavy

stuntheavy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When we left Moab when it was 107. This was earlier this month. I carried 5 liters of water with me.

Highly reccommend an evaporative cooling vest. It may be the difference between being in trouble, and being safe.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  9. sintax

sintax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe we'll run into each other. My buddy and I are leaving on Aug 30-31.
  10. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd like to leave then, but I may have to leave a bit earlier than that. I'll be leaving from eastern OK though. Shoot me a PM before you leave though.
  11. sintax

sintax Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sure man. I'm sure ill be busy taking to people ahead of us so we can get info on the roads ahead of us.
  12. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    Speaking of dehydration a rider died recently near Grand Juction. His bike broke and tried to walk out. He was found dead under a tree. Not sure if heart attach or dehyd.
  13. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I wanted to share what I see as possibly a problem for those using Sam's gps tracks along with his map/roll charts. As I stated in the beginning of this thread,I plan to ride solo so I wanted redundancy in my "mapping" information. I have meticulously entered each and every long/lat numbers from the roll charts (also confirming with his maps)nto Basecamp to create the actual gps tracks for each state.
    I recently purchased his UT,NV, & OR gps tracks because these states are the only ones I felt I was only 99% accurate,and wanted to be sure I was 100% on the money. I then loaded up both my gps tracks and Sam's ,and clicked back and forth between the two to see if there were any discrepancies --here's what I saw

Sam's gps tracks

[​IMG]

My gps track from roll chart

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I suppose if you only purchased "either" his gps tracks or his roll charts/maps then what you don't know won't hurt you; but as you can clearly see his roll charts do not follow his gps tracks.
    I found discrepancies in all three states in a few places. I emailed Sam about this a week ago-still haven't heard anything. I realize there will be unplanned go arounds that will pop up, but this kind of discrepancy has me wondering if I'm in for some navigation difficulties.
  14. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Is it an adventure if there aren't any? I'm a little worried about the same, especially being that my rollcharts are not the newest, but hey, I'll survive.
  15. rpet

rpet Awesometown

Oddometer:
    Lefty - I believe that Sam re-mapped much of Oregon in 2012. Perhaps you have a 2013 track and a pre-2013 roll chart or vice versa.

NOTE: I have no clue exactly when he started distributing the "new Oregon."
  16. Clem Kevin

Clem Kevin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Do you happen to know why he rerouted?
  17. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got the new roll charts by J&L Dusty Path-not Sam's old photo copied papers. I believe they just came out when I ordered my TAT stuff so I'd imagine there hasn't been a "new" set of roll charts in this short of a time. Sure wish Sam would reply to my email.
  18. esp41

esp41 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm on the TAT now, using only the GPS. I'll let you know how it goes. I left the maps and roll charts at home, so no gas or hotel info. That might come back to haunt me out west.

Mike
  19. CBAT

CBAT occasional wanderer

Oddometer:
    :clap Looking forward to your report.
  20. leftystrat62

leftystrat62 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm sure there won't be any issues with using EITHER one or the other. I know they will both get you there-just with 2 different paths. My concern is that I expect (as should everyone) when I paid for all his products that they would match up on the road out there,and it looks like that won't happen:(: