1. the schwartz

the schwartz Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer:
    hey folks

so it's my understanding that one can sometimes find places that will notarize documents, and that sometimes those places don't really care all that much what the document says or whether the person whose name is on the document is actually there. these are just things that i hear. maybe i hear that a place like this exists somewhere in a mysterious land called brooke-lynn, or da broncks. maybe it moves from burrow to burrough, i don't know. again, one hears things.

hythopopically spoken, imagine that i bought a really old, like 35 years old bike, and imagine that the pile of papers the PO gave me, while authentic, were completely useless due to the bike changing hands multiple times without getting reregistered.

imagine further that the only thing i need to get the bike titled and registered to me is a notarized bill of sale.

just imagine.

anyway, maybe drop me a PM if this hyperthoptical scenario somehow tugs at your heartstrings. maybe you hear things too.
  2. hitmanlol

hitmanlol Cotor Myclist

Oddometer:
  3. wiseblood

wiseblood This checks out Supporter

Oddometer:

First off, do bikes which are 35 years old even have a title?

Second, check out this thread:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655441
  4. CMantis

CMantis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not as easy as just getting a notarized bill of sale but you could go the Maine route. Done all the time for classics.
  5. Speedo66

Speedo66 Transient

Oddometer:
    Titles in NY started in 1973. The '73 Kawasaki G5 100cc enduro I bought for my wife (and which she rode twice) was my first new bike to come with a title.
  6. kingnba6

kingnba6 R1der

Oddometer:
    does the VT thing still work? i bought a ninja 650 bike from a local garage. the bike has a clean vin, i know because i did a carfax thing on it. can i register the bike anywhere and get a title?
  7. eastbloc

eastbloc comprador bourgeois

Oddometer:
    Easiest thing by far is still to find the last owner and get them to produce a replacement title.

I know of no other easy way. Even for bikes that were made in years that predated titles there is an expectation of there having been issued a title at some point.

NYS DMV are not pushovers.
  8. hitmanlol

hitmanlol Cotor Myclist

Oddometer:
  9. eastbloc

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure what the car was doing, but I'm pretty sure the motorcyclist was at least 50% at fault there. Why the fuck did he drive into that car?
  10. Zodiac

Zodiac loosely portrayed

Oddometer:
    And it looked like without a helmet...

First off, it's a school bus at full stop. Duh? Last I checked that's the holy grail of tickets....

2nd, rider was obviously speeding through residential.

3rd, With that bike he had the braking power to slow (or maybe even stop with better skills) to around 1/4 of that speed.
  11. FootDoc

FootDoc Gas it

Oddometer:
    No, to register in Vermont w/o a title the bike needs to be under 300cc, or more than 15 years old.
  12. Rectaltronics

Rectaltronics Barned

Oddometer:
    Yeah, nice baseball cap the rider had. Welcome to Floriduh.

No, it's not a school bus.

Yes, clearly going too fast.

Bad reaction may have played a part but he had nowhere to go.
  13. uxc

uxc adventure nerd

Oddometer:
    A few minutes ago on 8th ave. Probably at the tow lot by now.

[​IMG]
  14. the schwartz

Oddometer:
    I'm starting a new job in Hoboken on Monday. I can't help the huge happy feeling it gives me knowing that I won't be an nyc commuter anymore, never knowing if my bike will be there (9th avenue bicycle parking) when I leave the office.

I hope you'll still let me post here!
  15. the schwartz

Oddometer:
    Um. You're awesome. I knew Vermont was easier but figured I would need to know someone that lives there. I just read the first few lines of this thread and will definitely investigate further.

I was considering using a company called moto recycle, I know they go through Vermont but I assumed they had someone on the ground there. Seems like I can register on Vermont on my own without paying a titling service $150. Thanks!

Of course getting a bill of sale notarized somehow would still provide me the easiest, fastest rout. :wink:
  16. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    ahhh scary! (nice bike though)
    makes me nervous.

so do you guys use the muni meters?
    how do you secure your receipts to windshield ?

i need to get something that shocks people if they touch my bike when im not around.
  17. kcieslicki

kcieslicki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Better to leave plate on and get a ticket. You save the $295 tow fee
  18. hitmanlol

hitmanlol Cotor Myclist

Oddometer:
    the idea behind removing the plate is the more common parking enforcement patrols won't ticket you. They didn't typically tow as often, however it appears as of the last week they've been on a mission.

Without a plate you can park nearly all year with no tickets and you may get towed once or twice.
  19. kcieslicki

kcieslicki Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    How many days of "parking" would it take to save the $285 tow fee plus ticket. Compare that to the odds of being ticketed or towed in that same period. That's my cost benefit POV.
  20. eastbloc

Oddometer:
    The days of plate removal being a viable option seem to be drawing to a close with NYPD cracking down on the practice city-wide.

It would be nice if DOT would provide motorcycles with some legal alternatives. It's literally impossible to park a motorcycle legally in much of midtown, including in private facilities.