Airhead "Tips and Tricks"

Discussion in 'Airheads' started by elmoreman, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Plaka,

If you have even some of the spring left you can make a replica.
    I used to have to make springs for pocket watch lids when I was making a living as a Jeweler.
    You can buy spring wire, all you need is the diameter of the wire and the length.
    To make your own spring get the correct wire size and find a piece of round stock that is the same OD as the springs ID.
    Cross drill a hole for the spring wire and insert the wire.
    Now wrap the wire around the rod keep it tight by holding it tight against a piece of hardwood while spinning it.
    I used my Flexshaft to spin it but a dremel or drill will work.
    Make the spring longer than you need it to be, i.e. more windings, stretch it to match the original and cut it off.

(just found this site while looking for a wire source: http://home.earthlink.net/~bazillion/matls.html )
  2. Plaka

Plaka Brevis illi vita est

Oddometer:
    I had an interesting scar on one arm for several years. It was a series of very fine, closely spaced parrallel lines running across the arm and extending towards the wrist.

I was winding a spring on a lathe. It was maybe 3/4" diameter and fairly stiff wire. I'd made an undersized mandrel to account for the spring relaxing after the wind. I had the lathe turning with my mandrel in place and was feeding the wire off a hand held spool. The length got right so I shut off the lathe and with the other hand I cut the wire leaving a long tail which was later to be fashioned into a hook. Dumb move. As the spring relaxed the wire whipped around a dozen times in an instant, cutting my arm every turn. I was plenty pissed off.

The spring I need is very small, very fine wire. It's also oversquare, short and fat. I'm going to try punching a disk out of the wall of some silicone tubing with a belt punch. If I get the right size it should work, and won't rust.
  3. Kai Ju

Kai Ju Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Let me know how it works out, I've got a /7 light switch that needs help.
  4. hardwaregrrl

hardwaregrrl Can't shoot straight Supporter

Oddometer:
    This belongs here:

5. darklight79

darklight79 drink it , ride it , nail it

Oddometer:
    love the pun " working from ground zero " hmmm who funded the rebuild?:clap
  6. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The neutral switch connectors are a real PITA to plug in once the transmission is in place. I managed to get the connectors back onto the neutral switch the first time I had the trans out during restoration...

but no such luck today. I had the trans in and struggled to get the connectors onto the neutral switch...

wouldn't ya know it, S N A P the connector breaks off from the switch.

Pull the trans back out, install new $35 neutral switch, build sub-harness so I can plug the wires onto the switch while it's still on the bench, modify the BMW harness to fit the new sub-harness, re-install trans.

Bummer!
    [​IMG]

New sub-harness
    [​IMG]

Modified BMW harness
    [​IMG]

Trans install, NO PROBLEM now with neutral switch sub-harness :clap
    [​IMG]

Done!
    [​IMG]

TINK
  7. TINK

TINK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So, you've lost a turn signal lens screw and you local BMW dealer tells you they are no longer available...

You start with the local hardware store, move up to the specialty hardware suppliers (Hillco for example), but no joy on a M3.5 "fine thread" x 25mm machine screw.

Next you turn to the web, and you find several sources but they want $3 / screw + shipping, Sheesh Boo Boo.

Put on your thinking caps... who might have a M3.5 fine x 25 machine screw!?

Dubro to the rescue! Yes, Dubro part #2274 is what the Dr. ordered. You get four (4) screws for under $2.00 (you do the math ;-)

Sure, purists won't like the fact that the Dubro screw is an Alan head and black oxide, too bad, go ahead and spend your money on those $3 + shipping screws and have a nice day.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh, ya, and if you're looking for a substitute for the BMW washer for the turn signal lens screw, this Honda part fit's perfectly.
    [​IMG]

TINK
  8. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    That's good stuff TINK. Think I'll borrow all of those ideas. :clap
  9. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:

I went to my local Tru-Value Hardware store and bought the proper size Stainless steel screw, but the head was too big. No big thing, I ground the sides of the head down carefully on my bench grinder until it fit. The screw was $.57 it took about 1/2 hour of slow careful grinding. The satisfaction was priceless.
  10. r60man

r60man Long timer

Oddometer:
    So it is Saturday afternoon and I find that the two male one female adapter on my coil has bitten the dust leading to no spark. Local BMW dealership is closed. What to do?

Tried two auto parts stores but the have nothing but crimp wire connectors. Leave last car parts store and think. Then it comes to me. Off I go to the mall and the closest Radio Shack.

Walk in and tell the 16 year old what I need. "I don't think we have that", but he asks the 18 year old who says the same thing. I ask to see the bin anyway. Inside said bin is #6403064 an 8 pack of "Quick Disconnects Adapter Set". Huh the kid says, "That must be new." Right.

$2.67 I was out the door and I now have seven extras. There are three different types the original "angled" type, but I switched up to the female with the two males side by side which I installed pointing downwards.
  11. Sic Semper Tyrannis

Sic Semper Tyrannis Plays with Banjos, Boats and Bikes...

Oddometer:
    I'll turn the heads down for anyone who wants to send me the screws and a SASE.

Got a lathe that will make short work of it.
  12. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    This thing was just amazing for the timing chain job!!!

[​IMG]
  13. Plaka

Oddometer:
    For $141 It better give me a blo...er...nevermind.

Can you borrow/rent them?
  14. shearboy2004

shearboy2004 KIWIINUSA Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can borrow off me if you like Mate . I didn't need any heat at all , it pulled so evenly that all came off very easily !

$121 on Amazon.
  15. Plaka

Oddometer:
    Thank You. I will need to do mine in the next year and may well look you up.

I was also asking in the generic sense. I got the bearing puller for my rear wheel from the local auto store on a free loan. How often do I pull bearings? Not enough to buy a nice, and expensive tool like that. Wonder of there is a front range or NoCo tool pool?
  16. brocktoon

brocktoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  17. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    Must be the 18-8 Stainless, 3.5X25 part number 92000A167 ?

Thanks for finding that brocktoon.
  18. Disston

Disston ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer:
    No. They cost you $1.05 per screw for the 8 you need. As you sell screws for $2.00 a set your price will go down till yours are free after 4.2 sets sold. Then you are into making profit. Make sure you report this income to the IRS unless you are going to declare yourself a non-profit. :lol3
  19. photorider

photorider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I looked for a while for a set of bar risers that would look good on an old Airhead with no luck. Then I remembered that a while back I got a used triple top plate that came with a set of crusty bar clamps and I had an idea...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty happy with the result and my back is thankful on long trips.

As you can see form the pics, I have no fancy tools (not even a vise!) this was done on the kitchen table of my apt. with a hacksaw and some sandpaper. Old cables worked just fine.
  20. brocktoon

brocktoon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Correct:

Part #92000A167: 18-8 Stainless Steel Metric Pan Head Phillips Machine Screw, M3.5 Size, 25MM Length, .6MM Pitch, Packs of 50

Everyone's a CPA.

I've just filed for LLC status and have some retail spaces throughout Northern California. Brocktoon's Stainless Steel Airhead Turn Signal Screw Emporium will be opening shortly. Franchise opportunities available.