The View From "C" Class - 2010 NCHSA Series

Discussion in 'Racing' started by nobrakes, Apr 25, 2010.

1. IT 400

IT 400 Junk Collector

Oddometer:
    +1
    :poser:poser
  2. rev. redbeard

rev. redbeard Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Final cut express = FCE basically as useless as windows movie maker, final cut pro is another option but i have always used adobe and the new premiere is totes!:clap
  3. eatpasta

eatpasta Lawnmower Target Supporter

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I bet getting this photo made it all worth it!!

:thumb

right on man - when will you know how you placed? I was actually wondering how you were doing on sunday as well....

:ricky
  4. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    For sure! That's a great shot. Looks almost like I actually know what I'm doing. Just goes to show, don't believe everything you see. :lol3

I finished 16th in my class of 20, and 111th out of 160 overall. I'm currently ranked 11th out of 30 racers in my class. I was 7th before this race, but they just dropped the lowest race, and that moved me down a few positions. I thought drops were supposed to help? :huh :lol3
  5. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Precisely! :deal Rev. Redbeard knows what I'm going through to direct, cast, edit, produce, mix, cut, convert, render, export, and upload these seemingly simple helmet cam videos. :lol3

RRB, that Adobe CS5 premier really looks awesome. I wish I had the cash for that right now, I'd be all over it.

In the meantime, I think I've found a workable solution:

GOPRO HD -> MPEG-Streamclip -> Quicktime AIC format -> FCE -> iTunes M4V -> Vimeo

This results in about a 5x file size increase for the AIC format as compared to the original MP4, however, FCE will render a 45 minute AIC formatted clip in about 20 minutes, vs 16 hours for the original MP4. And MPEG-STREAMCLIP only takes about 30 minutes or so to convert the MP4 to AIC. I'm not saying it makes sense. Knowing why MPEG-Streamclip can decode and rewrite MP4 to AIC format in about 30 minutes or so, yet FCE takes 16 hours is above my pay grade.

At any rate, this seems to be the most economical way forward for now. Maybe when I grow up and I spring for CS5 and get not only the cool video suite, but also all the other great tools for image editing as well. But the budget won't support it right now. Me and Tarheel Wheeler are saving up for Husabergs. :deal :lol3
  6. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ubetcha! :D
  7. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    keep us posted in reference to any Husaberg acquisitions.....

:tb
  8. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ubetcha! :lol3 :lol3
  9. MotoMike

MotoMike Washed Up Desert Racer For The 2nd Time

Oddometer:
    Good job, just keep at it, you will get used to the 200. It took me a few races to really feel comfy on the 300 after years on pig bikes. Now that that I have been back on the 525, I'm going to need retraining :lol3

The 300 was/is just as you describe, as far as feeling every jolt. The forks in stock form are little better than a jackhammer. Mine still need some tweaking. I am even toying with swapping the ones off my 525 and seeing how they work, 'cause I'm real happy with those.
  10. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    I have heard this is actually a good one for the 650R as well.... I might have to start looking around for donor forks!

:evil
  11. Crisis management

Crisis management Latte riders FTW!

Oddometer:
    I'm enjoying your write ups and trying to learn as much as I can off your experience, I'm 54 and plan on doing some cross country and enduro racing this winter (southern hemisphere here) which should be hilarious given my lack of skill!
    Just a question, on the 200 (I ride a 200EXC) you mention a Recluse clutch? Why have you fitted that and how do you like it?

Anyway, good luck and keep the write ups coming, they are inspiring. :clap
  12. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Crisis, appreciate the comments. Racing a few of these is pretty much a guaranteed good time, IMO.

On the Rekluse, there are several models, the one I have experience with is the Z-Start Pro, which unlike the standard Z-Start, gives you manual override. The Rekluse is an auto clutch, it works by centripetal force to engage, so as your RPMs increase above idle, the clutch begins to engage, becoming more solid as you go higher, slipping nicely when the RPMs are lower. And with the manual override, you can still feather the clutch for power which very important on the 2-stroke, or override the Rekluse at any time - it's the best of both worlds. The practical benefits for woods riding is that in the difficult and tough conditions, steep uphills, rocks, roots, logs, deep holes, etc, your bike becomes nearly unstallable. It's probably the single best thing you can do to your bike for this type of riding and racing. I've heard the figure that approximately 90% of GNCC riders use auto clutches. Same with Endurocross. It's that good.
  13. Crisis management

Oddometer:
    I was aware of the Rekluse...we aren't actually that far from the rest of the world... :lol3 It's just not used (as far as I know) that much here. I have one friend that uses one in a WR450 for trail riding but that's about it, so I was surprised to hear of your use, it is also possible that everyone else here is using them and have "forgotten" to tell me.
    Our typical riding is in forestry (similar terrain and planting to the stuff you ride) with the ground varied from greasy clay to deep sand, the Rekluse would certainly help me on the uphills in clay but can you still dump the clutch in 3rd to dig yourself out of a sand hole?
    I will enquire of the local enduro riders and see what they do use.
  14. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    As long as you have the model that retains the manual override like the Z-Start Pro - yes. Just pull the clutch as normal, rev up, and dump it. But if you just have the Z-Start only, then you don't have the override, so it becomes harder to do that.
  15. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    This weekend, I had a chance to run some single track in a forest area and I have a PROFOUND new respect for what you guys do when racing in the woods. Holy hell man thats difficult stuff.

:huh
  16. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    Where were you riding, EP? Good flowing single track through the woods is superb, there fewer things I'd rather ride. And if you can get into a rhythm, it's just awesome, flowing from one section to the next, each meshing perfectly, never ending. But if it doesn't flow well, or if you are a little off that day, it's definitely a challenge.
  17. eatpasta

Oddometer:
    I cant seem to find any video thats similar but it was barely enough room for the bikes to fit through!

We were in Kernville, Ca in the sequoia's. ironically, only about a 45 min drive from where we race in the desert.
    very beautiful and fun to ride!
  18. Crisis management

Oddometer:
    Here's a clip from a local Enduro to show our terrain, it is definately not me riding and that's a 300 (not a 450) EXC he's riding.

<OBJECT width=640 height=385>

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DcPHcyqSl20&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></OBJECT></P>
  19. nobrakes

nobrakes Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's a 300 2-stroke, not a 450.

Great riding though, love that course, I bet that was fun.
  20. Crisis management

Oddometer:
    Oops, you're right...bit of a worry if I can't tell a 2 stroke from a 4 stroke!