Replacing rubber skid plate mounts?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by KnuckC, Nov 15, 2010.

1. KnuckC

KnuckC F8er

Oddometer:
    Did an end of the season check on the condition of my Touratech skid plate which was installed by the dealer when I bought the bike. Not pleased to find that three of the rubber mounts were sheared off and the fourth 1/2 sheared. Not pleased with the installation or the skid plate itself. It does not protect the pipes.

Does anyone know how to replace the rubber mounts? It appears that the bottom plate of the oil pan has to be removed.
  2. KnuckC

KnuckC F8er

Oddometer:
    Originally posted by AlanI:
    It isn' the bolts that are the issue. On my bike (2010) the rubber mounts appear to be mounted directly to the oil pan on the bike. The skid plate, be it Touratech or something else, screw into these four rubber mounts. What has happened is that the rubber, which is about 1" thick x 3/4" wide, has broken in half horizontally so that there is about a 1/2" x 3/4 " piece of rubber still on the oil pan and there is no bolt thread in that portion of the rubber that attaches it to the oil pan.

On your bike, dos the bash plate attach directly to the metal of the oil pan or to rubber mounts?
  3. JoelWisman

JoelWisman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Regardless of what the RSD does or does not say, the rubber mounts should be screwed into the oil pan just over finger tight to facilitate removal when they shear. Either way, removal of the oil pan won't help, the threads are cast in, there's no access from inside the oil pan.

There's a hex shaped plate the same size as the rubber at both ends of the mount.

Usually a socket on the hex shaped rubber and an impact will spin the broken mounts out. If not, prying with a screw drive in a circular motion always has for me.

The mounts are made to damp and resist impact. Shear forces should be carried through the front bolt.

Some skid plates protect the mounts from sheer better then others.

The BMW metal skid plate resists sheer well and protects the can, wink, wink ;)
  4. KnuckC

KnuckC F8er

Oddometer:
    Thanks Joel and AlanI.

I just spoke to Touratech. Their design is really poor. I strongly recommend against using their skid plate. Not only does it not offer any protection from the front wheel sending rocks into your pipes but it is also designed to break. Their system uses a rubber mount that is screwed into the oil pan. Rubber makes sense here because bolting a hard plate directly onto the pan can cause damage to the pan from impact. Their design however is the problem. They bolt the rubber mount onto the oil pan and then use a separate screw to attach the bash plate to the rubber mount. The screw goes in about 1/4 inch and is only supported by rubber for the most part. As a result, vibration causes the screw to eventually sheer the rubber in half leaving a very difficult bolt to remove form the pan.

If you ride alot of rocky dirt, DO NOT BUY THE TOURATECH PLATE.

Now I have to figure out how to get the bolts out off the oil pan. Joel do you know the size of the socket?
  5. KnuckC

KnuckC F8er

Oddometer:
    Joel, don't worry about it. With a little effort and your advice I got them off.

Thanks
  6. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    Hey KnuckC,

A customer of our posted that he used anti-seize when he re-installed the BMW breakaway skid plate mounts and I think that is a great recommendation! That will end any possible problem/frustration of getting broken mounts out later.

We will be adding that to our instructions. :deal

The mounts are a standard BMW part and available at any BMW dealer.

As I mentioned in another thread we have designed our front bracket to be stronger than most to help support the breakaway mounts and prevent minor impacts from breaking them. It is still however designed to be "sacrificial" and bend in the event of a significant impact thereby protecting the engine block.

More info on the thread here:http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=536723&page=13

Thanks for your email and interest on the MOD skid plate too and please ask if you have any more questions!

See you out there!
  7. KnuckC

KnuckC F8er

Oddometer:
    Hey Dave,

I just picked up your V2 skidplate. Will Locktite work as well as antiseize?
  8. njoytheride

njoytheride NJOYN' THE JOURNEY Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had the same issue with the skid plate bolts coming a part. orderd some from McMaster Carr for less then $2.00 per bolt. I have the part # somewhere. <>< Njoytheride
  9. toowheels

toowheels on a mission...

Oddometer:
    Thanks KnuckC!
    I appreciate the support. You're even in the same neck of the woods so I'll definitely see you out there!

I wouldn't use Loctite. You can use a synthetic grease (like a good quality bicycle grease since it won't harm the rubber) in a pinch. Otherwise Canadian Tire down on Main will have anti-seize in the auto section.

I would definitely like a part # if you can dig it up. I hadn't researched it yet and I though they were proprietary.

How about a group buy? :lol3

Dave
  10. Mike.C

Mike.C Stelvio Dreamer!

Oddometer:
  11. Motoriley

Motoriley Still riding like crap after all these years.

Oddometer:
    That would be great info. :ear

12. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    Page 1368 of the McMaster Carr catalog has a list of candidates. I don't have the requisite dimensions handy--anyone hanging out in their garage today that would like to chime in? :ear

I tested this link and it got me close, but not to p. 1368: http://www.mcmaster.com/#vibration-damping-mounts/=9rcap6
  13. njoytheride

njoytheride NJOYN' THE JOURNEY Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm looking in McMaster Carr catalog # 110, page 1218. part # 9376K122
    M8 x 1.25 bolt size. I order several items on this order so not a 100 % sure.
    It is called a vibration damping mount. <>< Njoytheride
  14. Bucko

Bucko In a parallel world

Oddometer:
    I don't see that PN doesn't in the on-line catalog I have up (not sure of cat#), but a search says it is a <TABLE class=FullWidthBorder cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=PartNbrDesc>Natural Rubber Vibration Damping Sandwich Mnt Cylindrical, Male/Male, 3/4" Height, 1" Width</TD></TR><TR><TD class=PriceInfo align=left>$1.87 Each</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    When I look up those dimensions and price, I get PN 9376K213, which is a <TABLE class=FullWidthBorder cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=PartNbrDesc>Natural Rubber Vibration Damping Sandwich Mnt M8 X 1.25 Thrd, Cylindrical, Male/Male, 3/4" H, 1" W</TD></TR><TR><TD class=PriceInfo align=left>$1.87 Each (also available in Neoprene)

Go figure. Either way, it looks like a mucho cheaper solution than BMW will sell you.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
  15. 99p38a

99p38a Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. 99p38a

99p38a Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If you guys have an 1150, it's not this one. I ordered these and the M8 is not right. It's an M6. They don't have the right dimension in m6, but i am sure one will work. this round I bought 9217K34 . I will let you know Thursday how they work. At 1.89$ each, I hope they work, so much cheaper than BMW. not to mention quicker and easier to acquire for me.
  17. AngusMcDung

AngusMcDung Free Range Chicken

Oddometer:
    <TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 0px; BORDER-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; TEXT-TRANSFORM: none; BACKGROUND-COLOR: rgb(255,255,255); TEXT-INDENT: 0px; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 978px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; FONT: 9pt Arial, sans-serif; WHITE-SPACE: normal; LETTER-SPACING: normal; COLOR: rgb(34,34,34); BORDER-TOP: 0px; BORDER-RIGHT: 0px; WORD-SPACING: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px"><TBODY><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 46px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">1</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 110px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">9217K42</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 412px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">Natural Rubber Vibration Damping Sandwich Mount, Male/Male, M8 Thread, 3/4" H, 1" W</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 70px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">3Each

</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 74px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 74px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">0</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 90px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">2.17Each

</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 92px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.1in; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">6.51</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 46px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">2</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 110px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">9232K15</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 412px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">Natural Rubber Vibration Damping Sandwich Mount, Male/Female, M6 Thread, 3/4" H, 1" W</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 70px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">1Each

</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 74px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">1</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 74px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">0</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 90px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">2.41Each

</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 92px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.1in; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">2.41</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 46px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">3</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 110px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">9247K34</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 412px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">Natural Rubber Vibration Damping Sandwich Mount, Female/Female, M8 Thread, 1" H, 1" W</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 70px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">1Each

</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 74px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">1</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 74px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">0</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 90px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">2.75Each

</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 92px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.1in; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">2.75</TD></TR><TR><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 46px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">4</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 110px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">9217K47</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: left; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 412px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">Natural Rubber Vibration Damping Sandwich Mount, Male/Male, M8 Thread, 1-1/4" H, 1-1/4" W</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 70px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">1Each

</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 74px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">1</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 74px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">0</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 90px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">2.45Each

</TD><TD style="TEXT-ALIGN: right; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.05in; MARGIN: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; WIDTH: 92px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.1in; FONT-FAMILY: arial, sans-serif; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; PADDING-TOP: 0.05in">2.45</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

They worked great. I only needed 2 of the first part, not 3.
  18. moe.ron

moe.ron Pig. Can. Fly.

Oddometer:

I have been using the Touratech plate with no issues, I got mine second hand. It has gone above and beyond the call of duty. Mine is extremely bashed and dented, the mounts have not sheared off and there is no damage to my pan whatsoever. I actually just replaced it with the same one because thats just how beat up it is. Bought the black one this time.

There are plates out there that offer better protection for sure, at 2 and 3 times the price. For a $125 bash plate mine has served me very well.
  19. Snowy

Snowy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought the BMW bash plate and have bent, dented and scratched crap out of it. I replaced the rubber mounts after a bit of log crossing in the snow. 2 rubbers had sheared, one partial shear and one was loose. The front mount was damaged.

BMW wanted about $70 for a set of mounts. I used anti seize on them and use my little battery rattle gun when I fit them. Have done several oil changes and not had issues.

The factory bash plate will move enough to dent the header pipes. It's relative to how hard you hit things. Lift the front over a log and land hard on the bash plate like you'd do on a 250 and you'll break stuff.
  20. The Maz

The Maz Clueless and lost

Oddometer:
    man, I must not know my own strength! Barely tightened bolt on skid plate mount and the bolt sheared right off. Not the rubber, but the bolt.:huh
    Well I guess it's off to an automotive store for some vibration isolating bolts...
    Sigh..... Not eaven a 1000 K on the bike yet.

Just to make sure, it's a M8 X 1.25?