Safari Tanks ROCK !!

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Apple Jam, Jul 12, 2011.

1. CharlieFox

CharlieFox Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another tip: Remove the side panels, and then install the Safari tanks. I was surprised how much easier it was to install the tanks with the panels off. YMMV.
  2. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    New personal record today, 457 miles, 11.76 gallons to refill

3. Rally_West

Rally_West Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer:
    That's it...I'm getting a set. Now I need to get a seat that can support the fuel range...was sorta balanced before, but these will throw that out of whack.
  4. KaytM

KaytM Just a fella.

Oddometer:
    I figured the saving made it worth it, Plus I dont really care for pretty ADV bikes...that said - orange would of been the prefered choice!
  5. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    quick question about the gas caps- the vent in my Super enduro safari tank wasn't working (actually since I got the bike a few months ago). I replaced the breather tube with a new one and still got the swelling/gas purging when the bike would sit in the sun on rides...

so I loosen the gas cap when stopped and of course after a few rides I lost the gas cap.

ordered a new Acerbis aluminum gas cap from Just tanks in CA. got it over the weekend and it doesn't seem to fit my tank. I called and the guy tried a new one on a new tank and said it fits fine. I tried mine again this morning and it's close but just doesn't seem to fit...

did I get the wrong gas cap, or is there something wrong with my tank? the OE gas cap was a tight fit, but you could open and close it..

just trying to figure out if I got the wrong gas cap or if I should just force it or see if I need to trim some off the threads on the tank. I'd hate to screw up a $900 tank though!!!
  6. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    Safari tanks are based in Australia, i guess you would need to order one from them direct. Also go by the name AV Aqualine.
  7. mgorman

Oddometer:
    I had the gas cap issue out west (Mt, ND, BC, YT, AB) but when I was down your way in Feb, I had no issues with them swelling.

8. SpeedyR

SpeedyR SE in the SE

Oddometer:
    actually just got off the phone with just gas tanks and they said they'll send me another one to test that maybe it got switched with a different thread cap and see if that works..

great CS these days is hard to find. Maybe I'll end up with a 4 gal for the XC as well. :)
  9. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    Love Mine. One of the nest things I have done to the bike. Thanks Again.
  10. DesertSurfer

DesertSurfer Tail sprayin

Oddometer:
  11. pilacs

pilacs Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just installed my new to me set of safaris.
    How do you all did the plumbing (tab on both sides behind headlight.)
    Thanks in advance
  12. KaytM

KaytM Just a fella.

Oddometer:
    If anyone wants to do a pictorial step by step installation for the HOW it would be appreciated...
    If you don't, for better or worse, when I fit mine I will.
  13. mdfehrmann

mdfehrmann Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    They are connected together with a "T" on one side and a drain down the inside of the tank to the skid plate area.

Matthew
  14. mgorman

Oddometer:
    Just don't hook them up to the air box like I did, the bike ran horrible due to vapors making it rich, especially under hard braking where sloshing forces more fumes and fuel out.
  15. LocuL

LocuL Gnarly Steward

Oddometer:
  16. Rally_West

Rally_West Central Scrutinizer

Oddometer:
    Just got mine yesterday...I got the Orange, but I sure hope they look better on the bike than in my living room. The color and finish does not look like it will match up with the rest of the panels. Although I guess it's only the front fender that is left and I might go with a high fender anyways...so maybe it's all good in the end.

Now I just have to wait for my CPR, Tuneecu cable, and fuel filters...:*sip*..................TICK........................TOCK........................TICK............................TOCK.
  17. Earthscape

Earthscape Have ya got a helmut?

Oddometer:
    That's why I went with the black tanks for an orange bike. I felt the black/orange contrast would look better than the almost-but-obviously-not-matched orange tanks. Ideally, I would have liked the bike to have not been painted at all, just orange plastic like most of their other bikes.
  18. Qwik

Qwik Adrenaline Addict Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the white(ish) tanks on mine. Absolutely love em. Its great to be able to see your fuel level while you are riding.
  19. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    The finish is poor, nicks and scratches straight from the factory.
    The fit is initially quite poor, until they meld (?) into place.
    The gas caps don't really fit well and they screw on kinda wonky sometimes.
    ....then there's the deal that the two keys for these caps don't match, if you must lock them.
    They really should not be worth $1600/pr, but no-one else has a better option.
    The color is ugly and dull.....they show scratches from bush branches...

.....But, I think they are beautiful :norton

You CAN most definitely see the fuel level in the orange Safari tanks.
    Maybe not as easily as white/clear to be able to see this while riding, but an easy shake shows off the level of the gas surface pretty well enough when stopped.
  20. mgorman

Oddometer:
    Maybe we need a "Who's got what key numbers" thread? Maybe some swapping could be done.