Harmonizer Vacuum Multi-Tool -- It ain't your Daddy's Twinmax

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by Grok, Jun 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pwlindo

pwlindo I can do this! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Can you point me to where I can find the software you are referring to here? My son has a Guzzi and I bought him a Harmonizer a while ago because I like the one I bought for myself so much. He would probably be interested in the software also.
  2. cwieland

cwieland Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I parked the actuators with a gs911 and the balance was off about 20 to 25. At 3500 it was off about 125. The bike is an '11 r1200gs with 6,000 miles and runs strong. I have tried to set the idle and the 3500 rpm to zero but when either is zero the other is way off. Also when adjusted if I turn the bike off and calibrate again it is not repeatable. Is there a way to test the harmonizer?
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    There is no way to actually set the idle on the Camhead. You can calibrate it, but that is all. Concentrate on setting the off idle at no more than 3000RPM. The idle will never zero.

See this, it is a Twinmax, but basically the same: http://www.jimvonbaden.com/R1200_TB_Sync.html

Jim :brow
  4. cwieland

cwieland Adventurer

Oddometer:

Thanks for the reply, My issue seems to be that if I have it 0 at 2500 rpm it will be off by 15 mbars at 3500. It seems like it should not vary this much. As you describe in your tutorial yours is balanced between 2500 and 4000.

con
  5. Renman1117

Renman1117 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sure. The direct thread for the software download is located here;
    http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

It would be most helpful to follow the short discussion on Wildguzzi regarding this topic. it is located at:http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=59717.40 Pretty much covers cables and software. You don't need the Tuner Pro software that's on the guys website located at the bottom of the download page, unless you want to change maps. Otherwise this is a nice bit of kit. I just downloaded it to my laptop and am waiting for the cable to arrive from Amazon you know who. Hope this helps.

Cliff
  6. pwlindo

pwlindo I can do this! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Helps a lot. Thanks, Cliff
    Paul
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    How many miles on your bike? You might have a vacuum leak through the rubber boots or through the butterfly bushings. Also, are you ensuring you have the proper slack on both sides?

8. cwieland

cwieland Adventurer

Oddometer:

it's a 2011 w 6000 miles. Ran strong so I don't think there's anything wrong but me of course -) I am going to check the "slack again" later today. I think that must be it. I will post what I come up with.
  9. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Got mine, thanks.
  10. cwieland

cwieland Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The good news. I get it now. The bad news with the cables completely backed off and the IAC's locked I'm still @ 35mBar off which is out of spec. The bike is low mileage and in good condition so I'm not sure where to go with this. I'm thinking of a trip to the dealer tomorrow.
  11. cwieland

cwieland Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I took it to the dealer the other day and the left cable adjuster was broken, hence the unrepeatability I had. They adj the TB to BMW specs. When I took it home it was still off with the harmonizer. I took it to an Indy shop and he used a Kowa Seiki vacuum gage and adjusted it spot on. But again when I took it home it still was off based on the harmonizer but not as much. At this point the bike is running great but I'm really perplexed why I'm having issues with the harmonizer.
  12. Dallara

Dallara Creaks When Walks...

Oddometer:

I've got a wonderful set of Kowa Seiki vacuum gauges (I used to be a Honda dealer, and Kowa Seiki made all of Honda's "special" tools), and they have served me well over the years. Even had them calibrated a few times over the decades... And I also have a 6-gauge rack (built for CBX's) of gauges I built and kept calibrated over the years...

And neither of them ever reads the same as the other set regardless of what bike I've used them on.

Years later I bought a Twin-Max, mainly just because all the BMW crowd thought they were wonderful and I owned a BMW at the time. I used it many times, always carefully zeroing it out prior to synching with it.

And when it show the TB's spot-on I'd slap a set of the vacuum gauges on there and guess what? They'd read differently. So a couple of times I reversed the procedure, synching first with the gauges and then checking with the Twin-Max... And guess what? They'd show the TB's being "off".

Point is, it's probably not the "Harmonizer", any more than it's that gent's Kowa Seiki gauges. They're just going to show slightly different readings. Personally now when I'm doing a twin the vacuum gauges and Twin-max stay mothballed simply because the "Harmonizer" is so much faster and easier to use, which also means I'll synch more often.

If you think about it, all of these devices are going to have some variability... Ambient temperature, humidity, barometric pressure that day, hose length being different from one device to another, etc., etc. that it's actually hard to expect them to each back each other's readings up precisely.

For me, it's pick one and stick with it... And for right now it's the "Harmonizer". :D

Dallara

~
  13. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Test it. If you switch the hoses and the issue follows it, then it is the guage!

14. KsFolly

KsFolly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok. So I missed the last production run.

Does anyone have a harmonizer they are willing to rent me?

$25 rental and I'll give you a $100 note for collateral. Local to San Diego (Escondido)

K
  15. klc4885

klc4885 n00b

Oddometer:
    How do I find out when these will be available again?
  16. Berger

Berger Long timer

Oddometer:
    Subscribe to this thread and watch the very first post....that's it.
  17. Grok

Grok Long timer

Oddometer:
    Delivery Update

I just found out I have to sell my house and move due to a domestic settlement.

As a result Harmonizer shipments will likely be delayed until June.

As always, thanks everyone for their interest and support!
  18. KsFolly

KsFolly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ok. Offer still stands. Collateral can be more if need be. Will ride 150 miles. So basically Los Angeles to the border is fine.
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Post your request up in the regional section. I bet someone would let you borrow it, or do it for free. I would if I were close.

20. Bitsy

Bitsy n00b

Oddometer:
    Next batch available in June? Did I miss-out on those that were to be made available in May? I have been waiting for notice of availability.
    Please put me on the list.
    Thanks,
    Bitsy
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.