2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. dragos

dragos Master of disaster.

Oddometer:
  2. RoundOz

RoundOz Plenty of seasoning

Oddometer:
    Shear strength and ultimate tensile strength are two different things. Both of these vary significantly depending on the material the bolt is made from and how it is heat treated.
    It's possible those bolts could be subjected to both forces depending on how the sidestand was hit. Also note that there are very long levers involved that magnify the forces significantly (for example if the distance between the bolts was 1.5" and the stand 15" long, the forces might be 10 times higher). Acceleration due to gravity and the speed of the bike also increase the forces. All this is speculative...the real world is a large target sample (thousands of new owners) and lots of testing (thousands of miles of rocky trails). So you guinea pigs...uh...astute 1190 owners....who bought the first year model, get out there and ride em like they were meant to be and we will take notes...
  3. Alarm

Alarm Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Come on, lets get serious. If we see the current center stand braking, do you think they (KTM) would put so much science on a 3-4 bolts ? Now honestly... :lol3
  4. Harold Waikiki

Harold Waikiki oldfatdumbbrokeoutofshape

Oddometer:
    Put a deposit down on a 1190r and consigned my multi! I'm pumped!!
  5. schoals

schoals Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    FINALLY!!!!!!

Fresh out the box

[​IMG]
  6. nikoktm

nikoktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stuck far, far away, who knows for how long.
    Congrats!:clap
  7. ebrew

ebrew Motorcycle A.D.D.

Oddometer:
    Nice that's good news they are starting to come in
  8. Deuce

Deuce Crazy Canuck

Oddometer:
    Vancouver Island, Bitchin' Columbia, Canada
  9. Womble_CH

Womble_CH dribbling baboon

Oddometer:
  10. nikoktm

nikoktm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stuck far, far away, who knows for how long.
    I saw the new BMW 1200GSA.. BIG:nah
    I just confirm my choice again!. No regrets at all :thumb
  11. schoals

schoals Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Not available for sale yet these are just early release demos we rode In Austria that shipped here for us to ride around. Customer bikes will be available in a short while tho
  12. Espada

Espada Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Schoals: Wow! I hope you enjoy that bike to the max. You are now obligied, of course, to provide full initial, mid-term, and long term ride reports. :D
  13. kag

kag Wander Lust

Oddometer:

Agree 100%.......Finally actually showing up :clap
  14. Corsica101

Corsica101 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cruising the island. Wings exhaust sounds great

[​IMG]

Designing a heat shield...

[​IMG]

Thought is was about time to run in the engine so went to the track...first time ever on the track...Jesas does she accelerate! I'm thankful for the existence of traction control...:eek1....and ABS. Only missed my turn once and went into the grass, good she can handle the dirt as well :clap

[​IMG]
  15. Doug Matson

Doug Matson Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Trying to make a decision, I just sold my 950 I have had for 10yrs and am going to sell my KLT 1200 BMW and get either the 1190 or a new GS. I need a good bike for road trips that can go off road also (easy off-road). I like the GS with the cruise and all but I love the 1190. Is the 1190 motor smooth on the road? My 950 was pretty rough at freeway speeds, I need something that can do 500 to 1K in a day and still go exploring/camping. I have my 450exc for real dirt fun and need a bike that do the rest. Has anyone ridden one at freeway speeds (75 to 85mph)?
  16. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    i get to ride one next weekend at scuderia so i will let you know, maybe the demo fleet goes to southern cal next
  17. Corsica101

Oddometer:
    Brought mine from Germany to Spain and had no problem cruising 130kph in the pooring rain! Still had the small R screen and apart from my sleeves get soaked I didn't get much rain on my visor and jacket stayed pretty dry. Did have a seriously sore wrist after 1300k's mainly because off vibrations in the handle bars and not being able to easily hold the grip in one position...ride by wire, so I end up forcing my grip. I since have 3800k's and installed dampers in the bars wich helped w the vibes from the engine. It is after all a big V-twin but since I have not had much else to compare with I couldn't tell you if it's a lot of vibes or not. Also think the engine seems to run smoother the more K's I put on but that could my imagination. Am not using the best oil either so next week I'll put Motul v300 in at 25€/l:eek: but what's a 100€ every 15000k's. I'll let you know if it makes a difference.
    Took her to the track today and although my cornering is pretty shit I was able to keep up pretty well on the straights w the faster bikes out there. Try that w a Beemer! She really brings out the rebel in you I can tell you that for sure, just impossible to hang low on the throttle! What a blast this bike is:)))
  18. j3p

j3p WI2FL2NC

Oddometer:
    I have been told that the first batch of inventory is either on its way to the US or already in the states. My question is how many R units will be built for sale in the 2014 model year?

Seen the bike in person for the first time today and heard it run. Have a open offer to come back next week to ride it. Bike is one of the 50 or so demo bikes that were staged for dealers to ride in Austria.

Put my order in for a R so all I can do is wait until we hear back from KTM.
  19. Orangecicle

Orangecicle On a "Quest" Supporter

Oddometer:
    I rode one (1190R) at Steamboat Springs at the KTM Rally. We never really got over 55 running a small loop off in the country. It's a great bike for what you describe. I ride a 2005 950, and this 1190 motor seemed very smooth but with that nice V-twin growl. Very responsive, but very well controlled by the computer systems. The only complaint you hear from current owners is that the seat is hot. I noticed that after a 20-minute ride. I'm sure an aftermarket solution is on the way for that concern. I rode the R version with the short windscreen with a Shoei RF-1100 helmet -- my standard way or riding the 950. I had not wind issues, but I also don't have a problem on my 950 with a stock screen, so . . . .
  20. Corsica101

Oddometer:
    Congrats:clap