I want I want I want - new(er) bike advice

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by Mark_S, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Hi

I am planning to sell the klr because I haven't really been using it and every time I do use it something breaks (last 3 rides = seized speedo drive destroys front hub, cush drive bearing spins in cush drive damaging bearing surface,oil filter cover insists on leaking all over my boot,dribbling counter-shaft seal, rear rack mounts strip out - again (yesterday))

Also I'm kind of 'over' adventure riding as I get my off road thrills on the trail and trials bikes and I have never felt confident on gravel BUT I really really love playing silly buggers on sealed twisty back roads so replacement (used) bike needs to meet the following criteria:

price 7-10k (including any extras)
    pref 2007 or newer
    upright comfortable seating along with reasonable wind protection
    ability to handle the very occasional gravel road at modest pace.
    happy on bumpy back roads
    good brakes (pref dual front disks)
    at least 60hp/650 twin upwards
    be able to fit solid panniers for overnighters
    cant see me ever needing to pillion
    all minor/medium maintenance doable at home
    FUN in the twisties..

Without having ridden anything I can think of the following...
    Kwaka Versys or maybe er6n/f
    TDM900
    Maybe a Bonneville?

Vstroms are too ugly
    Beemers (1100-1150) in that price range are getting pretty long in the tooth and are probably a bit big for what I want.

The versys is probably the leading contender but I haven't ridden one yet

Anyone got any polite suggestions?
  2. rickcj7

rickcj7 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Versys or Terra/Strada!
  3. Underground

Underground unbefuckingbelievable

Oddometer:
    You've just described an Africa Twin with road tyres.
  4. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    What about a scrambler?

Edit - prob doesn't fit any criteria but looks cool.
  5. Ducatijim

Ducatijim Hopeless Poseuer! Supporter

Oddometer:
    DR650 mate.......

You know thats wot u need!

Shoulda had onea them all along you know!

Its ok to admit ur wrong, even ok for a guy to cry.......go on......

Youll feel sooo much betterer! :D

:clap
  6. kswaid

kswaid Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Could try to find a used Tiger 800. I have been seeing them pop up lately.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
  7. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
  8. innathyzit

innathyzit AKA Woodman

Oddometer:
    Hearing ya Marks, been going through a similar experience myself except my KLR has stopped breaking everything. All I can come up with at the moment is Padmeis choice of a Scrambler, but then I think that I would just wreck it so a dedicated roadbike to stop me going offroad would be the way, but I just can't bring myself to do that .

Jatzs choices look about what you need.
  9. Oaters

Oaters Old - not bold - moto riding addict

Oddometer:
  10. pampaX

pampaX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
  12. Box'a'bits

Box'a'bits In need of repair Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try this. Just missing on price & H/P, but otherwise right on target..
  13. gsd4me

gsd4me 90% bluff

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  14. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    The Bonnie/Thruxtons are ok but you would need to upgrade the shocks adn fit emulators to the front end. Brakes are adequate. Mates rode my Thruxton and were surprised by how heavy it felt. It was on TM a few weeks back for about 7k. High K's but a good bike.
    I just bought cheap R100RTmono so looks like I'll be getting slippers next...:rofl
  15. trustme

trustme Long timer

Oddometer:
    A mate had a very nice Versys that he spent quite a bit of time sorting suspension on, nothing major just fettling . He rode the wheels off it, went really well & could do a bit of gravel. Motor seemed buzzy & vibey at certain speeds compared to the Scram. Get rid of the standard tyres if you get one, watched him lose both ends in the wet when I was following. I shit , he double shit & put new tyres on the next day.
  16. Mark_S

Mark_S Fair Weather Faggot

Oddometer:
    Hi Rick the Terra/Strada is outside my price range

Yes a modern A/T would be great - pity they are all at the high maintenance stage of their lives

I love the scambler and would presumably feel the same about a thruxton or bonnie but they have shit suspension and the 1.5-2k it would cost to sort the suspenders out would push them out of my price range. Lovely bikes though

when I first got interested in adv riding I asked my local mechanic about DR650's and he said they were shit (he obviously didnt know shit - but I didnt know any better) . So I went and brought a totally inappropriate XT660X. I'm sure I would have been happy on a DR but it will never be the road bike the klr is.

In NZ they are still way outside my budget ($14k+ used) but awesome bikes.

In particular the KTM SMT appeals but a tidy one is $15k. I might go ask for a test ride on the tard me one tomorrow

I'd love to try the Aprillia as well but I'd worry about the reliability and spares (probably unnecessarily)

My days of beating the klr up off road are done but unfortunately I'm still suffering the consequences of my actions. A fresh KLR might be an option if it had better brakes and a bit more power.

Hi Stephen - I love the looks of the W650 - problem is they seem a bit insipid/boring (I've never ridden one so I don't really know)

which nicely illustrates the fact that no ktm v twin that is worth owning is within my budget

nice bike - hadn't even considered it - might see if I can find one to ride if I don't like the cheaper Versys.

Don't try and unload your own fantasies on me.

Nice looking bike - airheads are cool to ride but I want to ride not wrench...

I spent some time on a Scramber both before and after it had aftermarket (YSS) shocks fitted - it was a buckboard and nailed my back before the shocks and was totally transformed afterwards. I know what your mates mean about the weight - its all down low but you still really feel it.

Good to know - apparently the 2010+ versys's had rubber mounted engines to reduce the buzz - still I can't imagine one being less smooth than the klr.

Thanks everyone (well nearly everyone) for the feedback.

I'll update this thread as I try different bikes.

I did take a R1200ST for a ride last week - beautiful bike and brilliant engine but finding myself doing over 160kph passing a car while wearing no protective gear made me think (which is why I might live longer on a 60hp bike rather than a 110hp bike) ... Also the clip ons didn't really agree with my back and the servo brakes buzzed when used with vigor and felt odd. I'd worry about getting shafted whenever I had to get something looked at by a dealer as well. Still it was awesome to ride and beautifully finished.
  17. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    You clearly need a KTM 690 Enduro or SMC.:evil Early ones are getting down near the $10K mark now. Add a wee windscreen, re pad the seat & yahoo!

Come over to the orange side. We have cookies (& brakes & power :wink:)

Or, if you want to go to the luxo-barge side:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/tourers/auction-563599174.htm

Clint
  18. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
    You brought up a good point which I was going to mention initially. Bikes now are toooo fast for the roads. Even on old Schmidtty I am constantly looking at the speedo as there are cops out there on any ride I do around here. I know if I had a modern smooth bike it would be just months before I lost my license- a little inattention to the speedo & you're in the 130km+ zone.

not that i'm looking for a new bike but the new Yammy Tenere series does it for me looks wise
  19. Voltaire

Voltaire Triumphant.

Oddometer:
    On the weekend on the R65 two up did not even have to worry about overtaking as not enough power to do it safely....meant you could kick back and just enjoy the ride. The dick tailgating me in his diesel ute got past me and the next car just pulled over to let him past.....got to ngaruawahia about 2 seconds before me.....stupid cage drivers:rofl
  20. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    The Aprilia Dorsoduro 750 linked above would be a good bike. Mine has been reliable, but others have needed minor warranty work. It is necessary to have a dealer within a few hours drive. There are about 6 of them in NZ, right?

It is an animal on rough, tight paved roads, quite it its element. It does OK off road, with the option of switching the throttle map to "rain" mode to control the 92 hp. There are a couple of issues that might concern you. The fuel tank range is only 100 to 130 mile, and the Givi Easylock Saddlebags are as lose to hard bags as are made for the bike. Top boxes and tank luggage is also available.