CENTEX ADV: Quest for the HOLY SMOKE!

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by ghostrider1964, Mar 29, 2010.

1. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Went to Donn's on FM 969 today after a dry spell of no BBQ:cry. Showed up at 2pm and the place was busy! Seems like the word is out. However, sometimes when a Q joint gets popular they tend to let quality slip, trying to serve the hordes. Sometimes. Brisket today was not it's usual goodness. A tad on the fatty side.

Half pound of brisket and 2 small things of Nanner pudding was 11 bucks and change. Price is creeping up too. :cry
  2. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    That tends to be the trend...Franklins took a $2 a pound increase after Texas Monthly featured them:deal
  3. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    This weekend is Trice Pilots annual BBQ!!! This QUE rocks. HE definitely knows what he is doing:evil See post in Regionals or on TWT.:deal
    Not many folks can get me to show up to work like this for someone else...Its that good....
  4. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    It is time to fing some new Q places to try...any suggestions...I plan to be riding alot torward Commanche and a bit further while preparing RTB III:norton
  5. AndrewT

AndrewT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm not technically riding TO Franklin's in Austin, but plan to check it out for the first time Fri the 17th, and I'll have a bike in town. I'm staying at the Ocho (Super 8) a block and a half away and should be in line by 9:30 or so. All welcome...

Never mind - hay in the field. I'll be baling out ... and baling hay. Another time!
  6. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    Try the mom and pop place on the south side of Llano on 16. The name escapes me at the moment but it was good and it was cheap. Combo with tea for $9.
  7. Cycledelic Relic

Cycledelic Relic follow old goatpath

Oddometer:
    It's located in an old house on the east side of Hwy16/71 near the small gas/convienence store a few blocks south of downtown. Laird's Bar B Que
  8. exoff-roadgoat

exoff-roadgoat Will ride for food

Oddometer:
    :clapDing ding ding, we have a winner. Yep thats it. The day I was there they came around with free pecan pie for everyone. I wonder if Coopers does that after you fork over $20 for the same thing?
  9. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Free is not in Mr. Cooper's vocabulary.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  10. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Phuck Franklins - went to Donn's and all is well. Perfect brisket. Got there at Noon sharp today and was in and out in 7 minutes. :clap

[​IMG]
  11. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    Where is Don's...if ya gonna post up, give us some details:deal
  12. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have posted it sir. It's on FM 969 east of Austin about 4 miles east of 183. Been eating there since the 80's...:freaky
  13. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    We need a table of contents for this thread:lol3
  14. Cycledelic Relic

Cycledelic Relic follow old goatpath

Oddometer:
    That pic has a table in it........& the contents look pretty good.
  15. SkizzMan

SkizzMan Me caigo, me levanto

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  16. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    Schizz...you have been holding out:lol3
  17. GailCallsMeKarl

GailCallsMeKarl Squirrel w/ no nuts Supporter

Oddometer:
    Located on the North side of 380 and Oak Grove Ln. They have a smoker on a trailer and a food trailer, but it's damn fine food.
    I had the brisket because he'd just pulled a new one off the smoker. The rub was amazing.
    I sampled the jalapeno & cheese sausage, nice and juicy. I'll be getting that next time.

This is where they were today - not sure if they are always there or what: 33.224537,-96.976676
  18. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    Dukes BBQ in Star...Well...lets just say they were friendly and it was ok...Not sure just what this guy does well yet but it is edible in the middle of nowhere:deal Only had Chopped beef sandwich on the fly so will have to check again on another trip...I will pushing the Quest further west as I look for new RTB4 routes:deal
  19. jhansen

jhansen Rider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Went to lldave's RTE on Saturday in Lockhart for my first visit to Kreuz BBQ. I had one sausage link, 1/4 lb of brisket, and two pork ribs. Sausage was a different taste, not bad but different. Ribs were ok but I've had better. The brisket was very tender and pull apart good. No sauce needed. Now, I have to go back and try the rest of the places in Lockhart.
    [​IMG]
  20. veriest1

veriest1 Minimalist Gear Hoarder

Oddometer:
    I ate at Rumps BBQ outside of Palestine, TX the other day. I had ribs and for the price they were hard to beat. $8 got me a nice lunch portion. They were juicy and tender but would have been better if more sauce had been brushed on while they were cooking. The sides were okay but I wouldn't get their potato salad again.