CENTEX ADV: Quest for the HOLY SMOKE!

Discussion in 'Tejas and the Gulf States' started by ghostrider1964, Mar 29, 2010.

1. jhansen

jhansen Rider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, now that I've joined the fun, I'd better post up. Road trip yesterday (OFO) thru south central Texas and stopped for lunch in Giddings at City Market. I'd never stopped on the way to Austin so "why not". Had the "three meat plate" Brisket, pork ribs, and a sausage. Brisket was very good with good smoke flavor, the pork ribs were, in my humble opinion, to die for, and the sausage, well, lets just say different. Maybe the sausage could have stayed on the pit a bit longer but still enjoyable. For the purists here, the sause was on the side but not necessary for any of the meats. But in the interest of science (or taking one for the team), I did try it with the brisket on the bread. MMMMM good. Now, if they just offered a Lazy-boy for the after lunch food coma..........:D

[​IMG]
  2. ghostrider1964

ghostrider1964 Edumacated Red Neck

Oddometer:
    Interesting spot...first I heard of this one...I s the relating to the other City Market?
  3. jhansen

jhansen Rider Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's on the northwest corner of 290 and 77. There's another City Market? I have no clue. This is a nice old meat market. Retail butcher shop in the front and BBQ in the back.
  4. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    About a month ago I headed down S 1st here in Austin to get me some JMueller BBQ. When I rolled up, and much to my dismay, he was closed. Went and got a burger over at Hopdoddys instead and got on the interweb to find out what happened to Jmuellers. The story on the internet goes, LeeAnn Mueller, John's sister, is the money woman behind his business and I guess he has pissed her off one too many times and he is out. Replacing him is a pitmaster from Franklin's and they will reopen in a few days.

Being of the belief that Franklin's has some of the finest que (pork ribs anyway) I have ever had, I am hopeful.

So I make the trip back down S 1st to the trailer now known as LA Barbecue. Huh? is this now Los Angeles bbq? Mexican BBQ? No it is LeeAnn Barbecue...ok that makes more sense. I roll up at about 10:45 to beat the crowd and I am the 3rd in line. Get to the counter and order bit of it all:

[​IMG]

some pork ribs, brisket, beef rib and half a ring of sausage. Everything is a little bit on the cold side for some reason but the taste is there.

Pork ribs: 8-8.5 - They are a little cold and they gave me the little end ones.but the rub likely identical to Franklins.
    Beef Rib: 8.5 - Again a little cold...but still better than most. The rub is similar to what John used.
    Brisket: 8.5 - Brisket was also a little cold. the rub is similar to Franklins. I prefered John's brisket though.
    Sausage: 8 - the sausage is pretty tasty but they only have a spicy version. it is a courser grind and a little greasy...but quite yummy.

Went back a few weeks later and this time the food was hot and so the ratings are better. Got there at about 10:50 this time and was 4th in line:

[​IMG]

pork ribs: 9.5 - in a taste test I am not sure if I would be able to tell these apart from Franklins.
    Beef Rib: 9.5 - as good of a beef rib as I have ever had.
    sausage: 8.5 - a little better now that it was warm. but I think I a prefer Franklins.

Summary - This is some fine que. The pork ribs and brisket are on par with Franklins with the added bonus of having beef ribs and a much shorter wait in line. People do start showing up at 11 and the serving line is really slow so the line gets long in a hurry. By 11:30 the line is probably 30+ deep and at there serving pace about an hour +.
  5. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    Cool...gonna have to try this...gonna be in A-Town tomorrow:evil
  6. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am interested in hearing your review of the place. I hope the forecasted 40% chance of rain today stays away until you have a chance to get some que. I have read through most of this thread and have decided that we all seem to have varying opinions on what is good que.

7. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Nice review and the photos look good. Let me just clarify, this isn't the Mueller's in Taylor that is closed, is it? :eek1
  8. Cycledelic Relic

Cycledelic Relic follow old goatpath

Oddometer:
    Nope....they said in Austin. Rest assured Louie Muellers is still open
  9. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    I am still at Lone Star:cry does not look like I will get there today. Another trip.
  10. Grandmaster

Grandmaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No, as far as I know, Louie Mueller's in Taylor is still there. John Mueller is one of Louie's sons and I believe was a pitmaster there for a while before having a falling out with his father and going out on his own. So the que and style was very similar, but I think John smoked a better brisket than his brother who is running Louie's in Taylor.

11. Dahveed

Dahveed Sumo Biker!

Oddometer:
    Whew!

It seems John's strong points are not "playing well with others", but making some great Q offsets a lot of grumpy attitude, as least for the occasional diner. I'll have to give it a try when it reopens and I find myself in Austin near a meal time. :norton
  12. ghostrider1964

Oddometer:
    From time to time we must revisit our roots...LC is still on top of their game...My ribs were 9.5. They were actually better than my last trip to Franklins:deal And I did not have to wait 3 hours:clap:freaky
  13. MartiniUp

MartiniUp Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wait three hrs, not a chance in hell. Quiet a few as good if not better than Franklins within a short ride. In Texas a short ride varies!
  14. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    Heading out to Donn's here in a bit. I'm predicting awesomeness...:freaky
  15. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:
    12.50 worth of awesome! 3/4 pound. ive been asking for the ends if i think about it. :freaky
    oh, in and out in 8 min utes...

[​IMG]
  16. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Any sidecar pilots on this website?
  17. mike

mike Long timer

Oddometer:
  18. gimpy9195

gimpy9195 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone near Karnack TX? I need some help.
  19. Ouroboros

Ouroboros Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. slowoldguy

slowoldguy Tire Tester

Oddometer:
    lol. Late at night.