Spring 2013 - Romney, West Virginia - May 3-5

Discussion in 'Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge' started by Dirt_Dad, Nov 4, 2012.

1. TeneRay

TeneRay Emotional Supporter

Oddometer:
    Crap, I'm gonna have to bail. I have to go to drill that weekend. Too bad it wasn't closer to Salem or Covington.
  2. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thought I'd keep everyone up to speed on the plans.

So far the plan is for two different group rides on Saturday. One Tenere guy will be leading a pavement oriented ride highlighting some of the great roads around the area. There's a lot of good twisty stuff around there. I don't believe he's planning any dirt. I'll be leading a dirt road oriented ride. All roads will be legal state roads, but not necessarily ones that see much if any maintenance. Roads will not be overly difficult, but could have some occasional minor rocky sections, mud puddles, minor water crossings, gravel, up and down switchbacks, and other features that can be easily traversed by a jeep.

Now that you're about to flip the page on your 2013 calendar this is a reminder to pencil in a weekend in WV.
  3. Dual Sport Armory

Dual Sport Armory Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This looking to be a great event

Can't wait
  4. Falconx84

Falconx84 Lurker

Oddometer:
    Are the group rides going to be scheduled so we can participate in both?
  5. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Group rides will be on Saturday. So it will be one or the other. I plan to post a GPS file once I get it completely worked out. So if you take the pavement ride you can still take some of the dirt ride on the way there or on the way home.
  6. 1976mike

1976mike Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Sounds like a good trip. Have been on many of the roads in that area and am interested in the offroad pieces. Question is to bring both bikes? How much pavement will there be on the dirt rides?
  7. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hard to say at the moment. I'm playing with different routes on the computer now and will be exploring over the next couple of months to see what works best.

I would like to include Blackwater Canyon Road (video) for the interesting but relatively easy water crossings, and my favorite border crossing road (video) because it's just plain fun. But these are pretty far apart which would mean a significant amount of pavement getting from area to the other.

Bottom line, I haven't worked out the route yet. If I had to guess there may be more pavement miles, but I hope to spend at least 50% of the riding time off pavement. I'd like the dirt ride to be interesting and not just dirt for dirt sake. Likewise, whatever pavement we must cross I want to be interesting as well. If we do the canyon road we'll also do Rt 72 (video). It may be paved, but it's fantastic.
  8. iBiker

iBiker ADV Pirate

Oddometer:
    West Virginia at the confluence of US Rt 50 & I-79
    Pencil me in as well. I think a couple of folks my way will be attending also. Not sure if they will be camping or just out for the day.

Looks like a good time.
  9. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just 8 weeks away and we have about 30 people who put themselves on the possibly attending list.

So far we have leaders for one dirt oriented ride and one pavement ride. In the event we actually get close to the 30 headcount we should probably have some additional guys with local knowledge to be on standby as ride leaders. I'm pretty sure trying to keep 15+ people together for my off pavement ride would prove to be slow going.

It's still a little too soon to get everyone to nail down their schedule and if they are really coming. I'll do that next month. But if you are familiar with the area, and/or willing to go and investigate a possible ride route, and are comfortable leading a ride if needed, please let me know. Just PM me and we can discuss the details.

Not sure if we'll need more than two rides. Just want to make certain all the bases are covered.
  10. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think the FAQ says that forum is only about a few "officially approved" rallies.

Anders
  11. backroadbender

backroadbender Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If the weather is decent and the creek don't rise.I'm in .My plan is to ride around WV till I see Eddie and Beantop, Then follow them to the bike shop
  12. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    :wave :rofl:rofl:rofl
    It seems to work out that way!
  13. 5punksdad

5punksdad Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer:
    my calendar is still open. I may only stay one day, but I plan to be there.

question........will the route take us past a predetermined lunch stop? I can ride with a hangover AND empty stomach :lol3

well, I can, but I dont like to:deal
  14. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    Can't really answer that question. We have nearly 40 people signed up as "possible" attendees. I'll try to get a more firm count in about two weeks. If we get anywhere close to that number we're going to need multiple rides that day.

I have one dirt route, Wreckchecker will lead a pavement route, and there is one standby ride leader, but we could definitely benefit from some others ready to lead a ride if the numbers justify it.

I'm still researching my dirt route. Been out there the last two weekends, and will be doing an overnight in mid-April to explore some additional ideas I have in mind.

As far as lunch, yes, I expect all rides to be stopping for lunch...a pre-determined place...maybe. I expect to have a place in mind, but depending on the number of riders and the pace we're able to set, it may require flexibility in where we actually end up.
  15. Dirt_Dad

Dirt_Dad Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's just a little more than 3 weeks, so time to get a better idea of the headcount. Over the months we've had more than 40 people say there were possibly going to attend. Now we need to let Romney Cycles know how many they should prepare to host. I've pasted the "possible" headcount below. Please post here to confirm you are still planning to attend. I'll make the updates on the first post of this thread.

It will also be helpful to know your plans and interest. Post up if you're planning to camp vs motel, and if you are interested in the twisty pavement group ride, the dirt road group ride, or non-group.

I'm in: Dirt_Dad - Camping - Group Dirt
  16. VACommuter

VACommuter Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in: Dirt_Dad - Camping - Group Dirt
    I'm in:VACommuter - Camping - Group Dirt
  17. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    Eddie Bolted and Beantop in!-camping-ride ?
  18. tommyhof

tommyhof Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In...Tommyhof and Roger....Non-Group Ride
  19. 50bluedirt

50bluedirt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Andy-WV IN Non-Group ride
  20. 5punksdad

5punksdad Tag-Master-Flash

Oddometer:
    Im still in plus one punk maybe 2. Hotel for us. We will ride whatever....no preference

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2