Six Months Later . . .

Discussion in 'Face Plant' started by diesel1959, May 2, 2012.

1. GHanson

GHanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing your story. It's all too easy to forget that where there's life, there's hope. Good luck!

hansong
  2. snooter

snooter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    from 1 brother to another//prayers sent..god heal that up...its all i can do..god speed
  3. EricD10563

EricD10563 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You're in my thoughts Brother, wishing the best for you and your family.
  4. steelerider

steelerider Southafricanamerican

Oddometer:
    Praying for you Diesel.
  5. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, I have no idea how to even respond, other than to say that I hope things turn out as well as possible. You have an incredible attitude, that makes all the difference in the world!

Best,

Jeff
  6. Voz

Voz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sending you best wishes from Oz.

You sound like a strong soul with a positive attitude and a remarkable ability to accept change, love your work.
  7. Horizontal

Horizontal Goatin' Around

Oddometer:
    Damn, guts AND class. A tip o' the hat to you, sir.
  8. icebox

icebox Long timer

Oddometer:
    Diesel, hope it turns out well for you, till recently haven't spent much time on face plant, that is until my gal got whacked by a failure to yield MFer. Your determination in the face of adversity is inspiring. Lets hope you get back on the road again in the not to distant future.
  9. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Your attitude rocks! :bow Keep the positive thoughts rolling.
  10. diesel1959

diesel1959 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Saw two of my orthopedic surgeons yesterday and this afternoon. They each took x-rays and each--independently--came to the same conclusion . . . that my femur appears to be healed. After three debridement surgeries in August, and then eight weeks of IV antibiotics, and another thirty days of oral antibiotics, it appears that maybe, just maybe they have gotten the upper hand on the bone infection. If so, that makes me a happy guy. Here are two x-rays taken today--the first is from the front, and the second is from the medial view

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So far, there have been no further drainages from the thigh and I've been off all antibiotics since last Friday. [fingers crossed] The surgeon has ordered me to begin walking in chest-deep water for physical therapy for several weeks and then to begin walking on land. That's going to be interesting, to say the least. If all goes well and the PT continues the healing and the thigh does spew any more fluids, then in the not-too-distant future, I'll be looking at surgery to begin the process of lengthening my leg.

Thanks to all for the encouragement along the way!
  11. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    Great news!
  12. jdbalt

jdbalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great news on the femur! I think about your recovery often Diesel. I come to this thread to keep myself on my toes, and not get distracted. You have an amazing constitution, and a heart of gold. Best holiday wishes, and keep going strong.
  13. Lacedaemon

Lacedaemon Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That's great news! Those X-rays of the healed leg really bring home just how badly hurt you were. Fingers crossed that you have the infections beaten and can really start to make progress on your rehab!
  14. rico2072

rico2072 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Congratz!
  15. SilkMoneyLove

SilkMoneyLove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I know it can be 2 steps forward and 1 step back sometimes but it really seems like you are turning the corner on this.

Good luck with your therapy. I hope the worst is behind you.
  16. ciedema

ciedema мотоциклист

Oddometer:
    That is great news.

Sent from my awful Android Phone using awful Tapatalk software.
  17. Wildbillsgarage

Wildbillsgarage Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :norton Just bumped into your thread. As a survivor of an infectious disease adventure, I have a wee idea of your challenge. I have been to the edge, and looked over, but it was not my time. Having said that you have been through far more massive trauma. Unbelievable! Although you will fight this battle very much alone, take strength from the strength you give others by not submitting. Fate has given you a huge challenge and I bet your already seeing how many people you will touch. Maybe it's already happened but when the day comes that you start to feel excited again, it will become your new drug! Milk it! You path will never be the same, and that's OK. What a campfire story, for those who want to hear it. Isn't it amazing what you can live through? Hard to have patience and healing can be agonizingly slow, but time keeps ticking. Enjoy each small victory and celebrate it with family and friends. I tip my toque, my good man. Carry on.
  18. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    Very stoked to hear it! :clap
  19. bdubbin

bdubbin Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Wow... I've started this thread a few times but always got distracted in the non-essential replies and lost interest. Glad I focused on the OP's posts this time around. This has certainly been a long journey!

diesel1959 = Perseverance

I hope that infection is finally done! Keep healing, diesel!
  20. Rex Nemo

Rex Nemo horizon calling

Oddometer:
    really glad to hear that you've gone from preparing yourself to lose the leg, to getting ready to walk in water!