1986 XR600R Basket case - Hope to revive!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by LandsVW, Oct 20, 2012.

1. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard exactly what he wants yet, just a few emails stating (first) it was a 600, then the second one said a XR500 basket case. Since I bought my first one labelled as a 1989 XR650 (and turned out to be a 86 XR600) I am sceptical until I see it myself, LOL... It's only about 10 miles away tho, so if I hear back, I most likely will at least drive up.

On another note - got my Kenda Tube, installed it w/ the almost new Kenda tire off the XL600, and sure enough, I put a hole in the tube (stupid me using screwdrivers). Soooo, let this be a lesson to you all! buy the dang tire irons! they are 5$ a piece! At least I didn't cuss and throw tools. This time. I ordered Motion Pro tire irons tonight off ebay. I'll go get a patch kit from NAPA when the irons come in. I figure it was either that or pay a bike shop 25$, and they want to replace the tube again. plus, I think the front may have a leak as well, so will be looking in to that AS SOON as I have my tire irons :cry My seat is ready and will be picked up on Wednesday! :)

This thing has duct tape for a rim strip? anyone have a comment on that ghetto setup? Is that ok, or should I get an ebay rim strip too? The other one had a normal but brittle rim strip so couldn't use it.

*** never mind, i just ordered a rim strip off ebay ***
  2. redprimo

redprimo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There is a great thread somewhere in the garage section where a guy installes a tire without using irons. Its kind of hard to explain without pics so go check it out. Ive installed my last three tires that way but I substitute zip ties for the nylon straps. I like it so much I now have enough zip ties in my emergency tool kit to install a tire this way. If you start the tire at the stem it is actually easier to get the stem through the rim than when you use irons.

found the thread: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299597&highlight=tire+changing
  3. elsalvadorklr

elsalvadorklr southern xr rider

Oddometer:
    thats for tubeless sealed rims like shown...put a tube in there and things might get funny...but I guess you can try

anyways...if 8 straps can be had for 8 bucks thats cool...2 or 3 tire irons for me:deal
  4. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wow! that is a good thread! has some pretty good ideas of how to use different methods in a 'pinch'. I have the tire spoons on the way, but may try to create a hybrid method with some parachute cord I have lying around. I have always wanted tire spoons, and this gave me a great chance to buy tools too. plus, they will come with me on a trip for sure. Anyone recommend a patch kit? I noticed that NAPA had several different styles and kinds of patches and kits. Some said rubber patch, some said radial (for tubeless) but are all tubes rubber? My tube is a Kenda.
  5. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    the good patches are the round ones with a read glue kind of seal on the outside...

I have patched many a tube...all tubes are rubber! jajajaja

the important thing is to sand the affected area well and let the glue tack dry first...the press firm for 5 minutes or so under a rock..there is always a rock for this...and inflate the tube to 5psi and install in the tire

THEN install on the wheel

that way NO PINCH FLATS

3 spoons are better than 2, but if you have a crescent wrench or long screwdrivers you can compromise

christian
  6. redprimo

Oddometer:

Ive never owned a bike with tubeless tires and Ive used this methd for the last two tire changes. You have to slightly inflate the tube and then put it in the tire before cinching it down with the straps making sure one of the straps is next to the valve stem on the tube and you should still use talc between the tube and the tire. Start the tube on the rim by inserting the valve stem in the hole in the rim and start a nut on it. then work the tire onto the rim just like in the pics. I don't use rim locks so I don't know how those are installed but I suspect it might still be possible
  7. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    well thats cool...all I was saying is that the original thread shows a comstar like rim that uses no tube...they are easier to install

also most tires sold these days are tubeless, doesnt mean people dont use tubes in them, typical tires like these are most offroad dot tires....

id like to see somebody use this method out on the trails

just sayin
  8. joexr

joexr Banned

Oddometer:
    Tubeless tires are a lot tighter than tubed tires and harder to mount. Comstar was a 2 piece Honda mag 30 years ago.
  9. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, I've patched a few, but it's been a few years, so I'm kinda fuzzy on the details... Also, when I worked in an auto shop we had 'rim ease' which was amazing stuff. Maybe I'll go beg for a small container of it at the local shop since it only comes in big tubs, LOL. Moving slowly forward - learning and relearning... old dawgs learn new tricks, then promptly forget them... :D
  10. redprimo

Oddometer:

To be fair you still need to carry a pair of irons for removing the tire. the frst tire I installed using zip ties was a dot knobby with really stiff side walls, the kind that will not show a flat untill you sit on the bike. It was very easy to install with zip ties. The second tire I installed with zip ties was a street tire and for sme reason it was much harder.

I think if you are running a tire where you have to really wrestle the irons to get the tire back on, using zip ties on the trail would be a smart idea, Purely from a safety stand point when you get back on the bike your hands and fore arms will be at 100%. I know Ive installed more than one tire that wasted my hands.
  11. elsalvadorklr

Oddometer:
    Im just mad I cant get $1 zip straps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hijack over dudes
  12. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok, ok, it was the 3rd try... only poked a hole in it the first time tho. 'finally' figured it out, and used lots of soapy water to get things to get back in to place! my hands is tyred! (pun intended)

Well, tire irons helped a lot, soapy water, a little air in the tube. I actually tried the other method as well, by wrapping it in parachute cord but couldn't get the tube to stay inside the tire. Soooo, after 2 original dismounts (removing good tire from XL wheel and bad tire from XR wheel) finding the wrong tubes, ordering new tube, a mount punching 1 hole in the new tube, and then another dismount to fix the hole, ordering a rim strip and tire irons, a partial mount -getting scared and deciding to try the parachute cord completely dismounting said tire - then FINALLY a complete mount w/o holes!

So, what, about 2 weeks and 2 hours monkeyshining around with the tire? but I think I could do it in maybe 1/2 an hour if Had to do it again - which I will as the front one seems to be losing air too...:clap
  13. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    First, seems as if my front forks are adjusted down about 1 inch. I'm assuming they should be level with the top tree clamp, right where the bevel is on the fork? Mine aren't.

Second, I'd still like to get an upper triple tree clamp from an XR650L. Cash is short right now. I have a few items to pick from: an XL600 muffler, dual carbs, a slightly warped (the XL bike leaned against a wall for a year) front fender, and a few other odds and ends I'd trade. Basically a crate of parts that didn't get sold with the frame, tank, seat etc. Maybe even an 30gig ipod video? Something cheaply mail-able would be the best.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=857526

there's my parts for sale thread, btw

lessee, My goal is to get the bike to the DMV this Friday, as I have the day off. My family and I are settled in to the new house, still struggling to get a handle on bills etc. so the motorcycle is not a top priority in the fiduciary planning. It's nice having my own garage, well lighted, dry, etc. tho. I go out and stare at the bike at least 2 times a day... :p
  14. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There is a line about 1/4" from the top of the fork tube. This is what you line up with the top of the triple clamp.
  15. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ok, it may be right then. I'll check when I get home.
  16. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, one of the ADV guys has a triple clamp on its way to me for a decent price. I went out and fairly painlessly wired the XR using the loom from the XL. Also put the brake master cylinder on because it has the brakelight switch. The ends of the hoses are different - XR has a banjo bolt, XL has a hose that screws in to the cylinder. However, threads are the same, both have sealing washers, so the swap was uneventful.

Front and back tire seem to be holding air! That's a bonus!

I'm going to clean up the tank while it's off as well. Maybe tomorrow between work and basketball games (I coach), or maybe Saturday between waking up and basketball games...
  17. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    well,
    I absolutely love reading ADV forums.

this one:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851293&page=8

brought to me the picture of the o-ring and tube between case and oil pump. I couldn't remember if my bike had had that part! quoting myself on the other thread:

"this thread just saved my butt, I'm thinking. I had reassembled my XR600 after buying it as a basket case, and got to thinking: did I see that little oil pump o-ring and metal tube? I remembered the o-ring, but not the tube. I haven't run the bike for more than 10 minutes, because of a few other issues, so today I pulled the side cover off. Sure enough! NO tube! PO must have lost it upon disassembly, and since I bought it literally in a basket (ok, milk crate and cardboard boxes) AND that tube isn't magnetic so it didn't stick to the magnet tray he'd given me with all the bolts, I was clueless as to its existence. Whew... I pulled one out of my parts bike engine and installed... Thank you! good pictures and detailed information."

yep. thanks ADV. "I don't want a pickle, I just want to ride on my motorsickle" -Arlo Guthrie
  18. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've got the XL wiring all hooked up. for obvious reasons can't use the original battery. So, does the system need to have a battery to avoid damaging the electrical components such as the voltage regulator? I still will come up with something like RC batteries if necessary but just wondered if any battery was even necessary?
  19. LandsVW

LandsVW Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've received the Triple clamp from fellow ADV reader (thank you!). I've got it installed with the key. I'm still trying to figure out how to mount the speedometer though. Anyone have any brilliant ideas? I'm building little metal brackets, but they seem like they'd allow the bottom of the headlight housing to bounce up and fall off the pins in the fender bracket?

I wonder if anyone has a picture of a successful mounting system? Remember, it's now 1985 XL600 headlight/key/speedometer mounting into a XR650L triple clamp.

thanks!

L
  20. mcma111

mcma111 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The heck with brackets. Just install one of these:

[​IMG]