Hellas Rally on the cheap

Discussion in 'Racing' started by Leeexc, Feb 12, 2013.

1. DaveRMS

DaveRMS 404 Not Found

Oddometer:
    It's long been the conventional wisdom to NOT use this feature. So, at RMS, we usually turn this off. It keeps everything nice and simple.

Just my $0.02.

BTW, the Watchdog is an enduro computer. Again, I prefer to keep it simple. Too many features in that puppy (or an ICO Checkmate) for the rally raid task at hand.

Dave
  2. Leeexc

Leeexc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, Yes I spoke to rally raid but was thinking I could buy the gear for less than he was talking to hire. the more simple the better, takes me all my time to put a post on a forum:D
  3. beaney

beaney rally racer

Oddometer:
    Beware, in Rallying the cheap way and equipment will fu.. you over, normally in the middle of nowhere. Its your choice but I certainly wouldnt recommend it.
  4. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    I used the auto calibrate feature in Australia and it worked great. Only thing I had to watch was when I went from dirt to pavement because the autocal would align with the loose terrain and then have to reset for the pavement...only a problem on the way back to the Bivouac.
  5. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    Couldn't agree more, I just run the calibration Km diligently 4 or 5 times and can't say I really miss this feature on my IMOs. But I have never ridden any really loose stuff like sand or fesh fesh. Some really experienced riders (not me, I keep forgetting) can factor in front mousse deterioration and adjust their diameter after one or two days on the same mousse.
  6. gnuttis

gnuttis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Since after the Tuareg Rallye 2012 I will not put my money to the ICO crap. To much plastic & don,t hold that terrain marocco had så my next tripmaster will be RNS!
  7. tehdutchie

tehdutchie Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent, so many opinions and so mnay different experiences :rofl

A lot of wheel inventing going on to try and meet all the requirements and preferences out there. It's making it hard for people from the outside to decide which way to go.

Imho, try and make your own errors, and learn from that.

A lot of wheels have been invented, and shown, some oval, some square and even a few round ones out there.
  8. Leeexc

Leeexc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Some cheap round ones would be nice:D

Barrier I replied to your pm or tried to Sounds good!
  9. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    Hi Lee - I'd listen to Beaney... the whole point of a navigation rally is the navigation, and if that equipment lets you down, you are screwed...

If this is a one-off, toe in the water thing, then by all means rent something (you could also ask Patsy at Desert Rose if she has any 2nd hand gear she might sell or rent), but a decent roadbook holder and PROPER rally trip computer is the best investment you can make, particularly if you intend to continue rally raiding - and they are always easy to sell on in the future...

Personally, like Brodovich - I prefer the Touratech IMO over the ICO units - but specifically the IMO R50 version, which is much smaller and neater than the old style clunkers... it also has a dual display for partial and total distance at the same time (replicating the page of the roadbook).

Everyone I've ever spoken to says they have had reliability issues with the ICO units - which is why everyone seems to fit two 'just in case' - although I have to say, Tony's (RNS) billet rally computer looks like a lovely piece of work, that I've yet to use myself - I have his remote control unit, and that is excellent quality.

As for the roadbook - don't even think about trying to use a manual one - you have to have an electrically driven one to be able to ride safely at race speeds... the F2R unit is very well put together, and probably the best budget alternative available at the moment.

Steer clear of the Touratech roadbook holder - I've had two, and both failed... The MD is the de facto choice, and I have been very happy with mine... it is also the most likely one you'll find for sale secondhand.

Ultimately, any International rally is not going to be cheap... you can save money by doing your own servicing, and transportation - although don't discount the fact that if you're tired before you get there, and up half the night fixing a problem, this will compound your fatigue for the rest of the event... the point is to enjoy it remember!

Hope to see you in Greece in April - but don't scrimp on your bike prep - be honest with yourself - if you don't have the budget to buy 'an extra tyre' so to speak, then perhaps you should look at participating in a different event in the future, when you can attend with more of a [financial] safety net?

Jx
  10. JMo (& piglet)

JMo (& piglet) Unicorn breeder

Oddometer:
    As I understand it, John will rent you the gear, and if you decide to buy it afterwards, he gives you the rental price as a discount off the purchase price?

The Rally Raid navigation set-up is extremely well proven - it would be worth it in the long run... and if you go for their Rally Lite (bar-mounted package, with the plate and wiring etc.) it is completely self-contained and a 10 minute job to fit; and as I mention above, would always be very easy to sell on afterwards...

Jx

ps. If you are not familiar with the workings of the roadbook and ICO equipment, it might be worth contacting Torque Racing (who as it happens are also a UK agent for the Hellas Rally), and ask about one of their 'roadbook training' courses that they run here in the UK... It will really help you get used to the equipment before you get to the start line - it can be very frustrating trying to learn it all in the heat of competition!
  11. Leeexc

Leeexc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks again for the replys.

Trying to work out costs, a few questions, It is 2100 miles to the start of the event by road but I am told it is best to drive to italy then catch a ferry to greece.
    What is the cost of the ferry for a big van and how long will it take to get to greece?
    What would the toll road charges be to italy or all the way by road to greece?
    Is petrol for the bike included in the entry fee?
    What insurance would I need and cost?
    I have 2 sets of wheels for my bike, would 2 sets of new tyres fitted to the wheels do me for the rally?
    Will one set of chain and sprockets do the whole event?

Can you think of any costs a newbee to this kind of event might overlook?

Thanks Lee.
  12. firebore

firebore n00b

Oddometer:
    France switzerland italy best route use michelin map planner to give you a rough idea of costs. two days to travel to Italy then ferry or one day with redbull

Hellas have a deal with one of their sponsors superfast ferries offering a good discount.

Buy your own petrol :(

You need to get in touch with acu have to have "repatriation" insurance

I am going with two sets of wheels new tyres should be enough new chain sprockets but also spare chain, and spares package. First time for me as well so trying to be prepared.

Trying not to state the bleedin obvious :) find more people to share van on trip is best way of offsetting costs
  13. HellasRally

HellasRally Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What is the cost of the ferry for a big van and how long will it take to get to greece?
    Check Superfast website on line booking and count -40% for all prices excpet big trucks (over 5 tons -25%)

What would the toll road charges be to italy or all the way by road to greece?

Should be around 120 euros

Is petrol for the bike included in the entry fee?

No, Greece gasoline prices vary from 1.65 to 1.78 euros per lt

What insurance would I need and cost?

You get insurance (personal etc) in the race for 50 euros, third liability is included in the entry fee
    Otherwise you use your ASN license or a FIM license

I have 2 sets of wheels for my bike, would 2 sets of new tyres fitted to the wheels do me for the rally?

Normally yes, your right hand defines that

Will one set of chain and sprockets do the whole event?

Normally yes, your right hand defines that and your chain lubricant

Would be wise to talk to Desert Rose or Torque Racing before, their logistics are really advanced and most probably your transportation cost with them is lower.
    About this year's rally, things are different than past editions, new place for the race, softer terrain all the way, less navigation (not every 50meters) and normally not dusty in 80% of the stages due to high altitudes where you will even find some snow in the slopes (not on the road).
    About Navigation Instruments if anyone want to hire in low cost, please let us know, we do have the ability to do it for a number of riders
  14. xradipo

xradipo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    I will partecipate to the Hellas Rally from Milan, Italy.
    I will catch the ferry from Ancona: Ancona - Patra.
    Milan - Ancona 430 km. - The toll cost is 45 euro (in Italy for both way 22,5+22,5)
    Patra is 25 km far from the paddock - Nafpaktos. Toll cost 26 euro (in Greece for both way 13+13, seems to me there is an expensive bridge to use)
    The quote from for ferry today is 270 euro (both way) with out the Hellas Rally discount for a Fiat Scudo van and one person (with camping accomodation).

See you in Greece :D

X.
  15. Leeexc

Leeexc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just worked out the cost for my van (7mtrs long) with aircraft seats (assume that means no room!) and that is 441 euro with 3 passengers, less than I thought it would be and get 40% discount so about 270 euros plus 26 euros for the bridge crossing 120 euros for English channel crossing and about 1000 euros in diesel so 1416 euros total thats £1220 Plus toll road fees Maybe another £100.
    If I could split that between 3 riders shareing the driving it would be less than £450 each (assuming my figures are correct) maybe even less if we could take another bike or 2 with the rider flying out. Any one fancy it?
  16. Leeexc

Leeexc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bump! any one else from the uk thinking of doing this or have space for another bike?

Thanks Lee.