Garmin Maps Ireland

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Europe, Africa, & Middle East' started by Crashed Bad, Jul 25, 2007.

1. Crashed Bad

Crashed Bad Big man, little bike

Oddometer:
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun
    I'm going to be visiting Ireland for 2 weeks and was wondering if there was anyway to "evaluate" any maps on my 2610. I'll be in Connemara for most of my stay.
  2. Britmick

Britmick Banned

Oddometer:
    You won't need an upload mate,there's only 2 roads!

"Dat'll be de one dat goes up'n'down,& de udder one dat goes acrossways!"
  3. saobh_ie

saobh_ie Slightly confused

Oddometer:
    Apparently the Garmin maps aren't too bad now but GPS is really overkill for Ireland. Buy a good roadmap when you land in, sit down, scribble down the names of your roads and towns and your sorted.

It's fairly well signposted and if you get lost on a backroad just keep going till you come to a town, not that big a country.

Sorry I couldn't be more help as regards GPS but don't worry about it, you'll be grand. And sure there'll be plently of people around to give you directions if everything goes complelty wierd. =D
  4. WIBO

WIBO Will it buff out?

Oddometer:
    Yip...overkill big time...you`ll not need a gps there..a good roadmap and take in the views as you travel...yip...one road up and one road down....never a problem finding anything...as everybody is dead nosey someone will know where something/someone lives as you travel through ....it is that small a place!!!...

enjoy
  5. wheatwhacker

wheatwhacker It's raining here Supporter

Oddometer:
    The best part of Ireland is getting lost.
    Head down to Kinsale if you get a chance, my home town
  6. emelgee

emelgee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The maps on there won won't be a lot of use. You'll need an unlock code that matches your unit's serial number to view them on the 2610.
  7. JimmyUK

JimmyUK Brit

Oddometer:
    Exactly how i'd put it. In Ireland getting lost is really more of a bonus, than annoying. Its not possible you'll gonna come across any boring roads or crap scenary.

Doesn't really help answer your question
  8. the foolish fellow

the foolish fellow UP FOR IT

Oddometer:
    the maps for ireland are pretty much complete at this stage. i dont see how they are going to be any less useful than anywhere else.
  9. Bannisdale

Bannisdale Why are my legs so short!?

Oddometer:
    The guys above are right. I used a gps but found the good old map better suited to Ireland.

Garmin's City Navigator Europe NT+ v8 didn't even list all of the major roads (said i was currently off road going over the Conor pass in Dingle and several other times in Mayo). It was easier to follow the sign posts and make a list of the towns you wanted to pass through and put it next to your map.

Gps did help me find tourist info and hotels in Cork.
  10. Bannisdale

Bannisdale Why are my legs so short!?

Oddometer:
    In fairness to Garmin I've just looked at the updated City Nav NT 2009 and it now lists all the roads it said weren't there on my trip in July.

Shame it's 6 months too late (for me) and I can't load it onto my Quest 2 as a complete update!

It doesn't show some new roads in Cumbria either (it's not as if a new one gets built every year round here!)