Show us ya WR 450F

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by stevh0, Sep 25, 2008.

1. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    thanks :1drink I have seen some pretty crazy trials bike riders in europe..

went riding again..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7,820ft.. highest point you can ride in the state.. trail is not on the map
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. JonU

JonU Long timer

Oddometer:
    Been browsing this thread and you guys have some very nice setups. I'm currently considering purchsing one soon and just had a question and figured you guys would be the best ons to ask. I'm going to be getting either a '12 or '13 WR450 and I know that I want more range than the stock fuel tank provides. That being said, how hard would it be to adapt (for example) the Safari Rear tank for '07-'11 models to the new frame of the '12+
  3. yamahaman

yamahaman wannabe bike builder

Oddometer:
    If the seats are the same or similar would be fairley easy :1drink
  4. MingRidesBikes

MingRidesBikes Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What are your oppinions on the new 2012 WR450f? I've been in love with the WR forever and just got rid of my 05. I will be getting another one, either the 07+ with aluminum frame, or the 2012. How much different will the bike be with fuel injection? Any 07+ owners feel the need to jump on the 2012? I know fuel delivery was never the smoothest or most linear on my 05. do 07+ owners notice that it will hickup a bit if at a steady throttle? Will FI resolve this issue?
  5. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've had an '11 model for over a year now. Got it for a great price, as the Aus distributors had tons left over as everyone was waiting for the '12s to come out. If you hate wrenching, the FI alone is worth the time you will save dismantling the entire rear of the bike to just to change jets. The only downside of the 07-11 alloy frames is that they're so tightly wrapped around the carb.

The stutter at low throttle openings on the highway is difficult to completely eliminate. I've heard that a combo of cush drive rear hub, disconnecting the Throttle Positioning Sensor and regearing or riding a gear lower can help. Derestricting the bike certainly helped a bit but I tend to avoid the blacktop like the plague now anyway.

Once your jetting is sorted, dialled & tweaked for your particular riding style and location, they're still a brilliant trail bike with stacks of aftermarket gear available. I'm continuing to improve my riding every time I head out on the three hour mini-adv rides I'm doing most of these days. I could have easily sprung for a KTM or Honda instead but have no regrets with the Yamaha.
  6. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    I have a cush hub, 16-45 gearing, hardly ever stutters.. maybe once in 50mi at 60mph, and I have to pay attention to notice it.

but anyway, get a 12', wait for a tank to come out.. the stocker gets you pretty far. I get 50mpg when I dual sport. Cruise 70mph at 6K. Just make sure you gear it tall, 16t countershaft, and swap when you want to ride hard trails. or Rekluse like I did, I run 16/45 for almost everything. Sometimes I swap my stock wheel back on with a 48t. Works great
  7. seven50rider

seven50rider n00b

Oddometer:
    I just bought the new 2012 WR450 today.

I just took it for a spin around the neighborhood, Im really hoping its better off road. Im sure it will be but I was expecting it to be a bit more torquey(if that's spelled correctly).

I rode one of my friends 09 KLX450 a few weeks ago, it seemed to be more torquey, but he did say he put a bigger sprocket on it.

Anyone else think this or am I just over thinking it.

Im thinking a bigger sprocket would be what Im looking for...at least Im hoping.
  8. wilkinsonk

wilkinsonk soup de grimace

Oddometer:
    To make it green sticker compliant Yamaha has installed a short throttle stop screw and the ECU is pre-programed so that it is lean. There's a competition kit that comes with a programable ECU and I think the throttle stop screw as well. From there you can program the best "map" for your conditions. There's a big thread on this over on Thumpertalk.

ECU: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/p.../5/210/1222/5389/2012/1/11369/0/0/detail.aspx

Tuner: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/p...l/5/210/1222/5389/2012/1/9245/0/0/detail.aspx

You should be able to get the competition ECU mapped at the dealer with their tuner.

- Ken
  9. Pole

Pole Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm looking for some advice. I'm being pushed to sell my 690 Enduro R, for financial reason and I've been thinking about buying WR450F 2009. I have found a very, very low mileage bike, which looks like new. It's an Euro spec bike, with ligths, indicators etc., just as they come in EU, I think. Could you please shed some light on how are they off- and on-road? It's too far away just to take a ride. Not trying to compare it to 690. I have heard that they suffer surging at constant speed / revs? Is that true? I have only ridden WR426F, but that gave up speedwise too soon for me, minding I'm doing a lot of open sandy forest roads and some tight trails, which are about 15miles ( by tarmac ), from where I live. What would be the best / neccesary mods to open the bike up a bit? I've read about Grey Wire mod, but do the Euro models have it? What sort of mileage would you expect before any head / piston work? I will appreciate any comments. Thanks. P.
  10. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

search, dude. been asked 100x
  11. Dakar Dan

Dakar Dan Long timer

Oddometer:
    The stock WRFs come highly stifled straight outta the factory. There are several things you can do to derestrict, including a GYTR muffler end cap, the shorter throttle stop screw, 13/50 gearing and the ignition/fuel remapping (rejetting was a very fiddly exercise on the 2007-11 models). Torque will improve once run in. Remember that the WRF motors are slightly detuned MX motors with very high compression and little flywheel mass, so they thrive on revs. I stalled mine a few times to start with but once you're used to it, they have an amazing elasticity in their power delivery. The stock 130/90 rear tyre, while offering good flotation over sand, hampers handling also. A narrower 120 or even 110 section tyre made a lot of difference to my bike.
  12. revelstokerider

revelstokerider n00b

Oddometer:
    Put over 500km on my new to me wr450 since buying it last week.I absolutely LOVE this bike!!Takes me everywhere I wantr to go in the mountains & lets me ride on the pavement long enough to get to the seemingly unlimited forestry roads & single track trails in my area & does it WAAAY faster than any of the dualsport bikes I have owned in the past! This thing ROCKS!!!!!!
    http://[​IMG]
  13. revelstokerider

revelstokerider n00b

Oddometer:
    Went out again yesterday north of Revelstoke B.C.The WR handles this rocky terrain better than I could have hoped!!
  14. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    nice WR mate
  15. Oldfatbeerman

Oldfatbeerman Enroute to a PUB

Oddometer:
    My 09 WR now looks like this , all equipment except the cush hub is as used by Yamaha Australia for the Australian Safari team bikes .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    This is how it works out in the bush :clap
    [​IMG]

Cheers .

PS. Running 15 - 47 gearing and I am very happy with the performance and speed .
  16. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    Okay please tell me how you rigged up that oil cooler/res. I have all the goodies, but no one up here makes anything for an oil cooler.

cool bike btw.. not a big fan of that hanging out pipe though
  17. fedswith

fedswith fedswith

Oddometer:
    Hey Oldfatbeerman, what is that red fork protector????:huh

18. MingRidesBikes

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I couldn't find this info anywhere else. Anyone know if the wheels would swap from a 03 wr450f to a new 2012 model? Better yet, anyone with both an older gen WR450F have a 2012 that can swap wheels real quick and let me know what is needed if it can even be done? Thanks!
  19. yamahaman

yamahaman wannabe bike builder

Oddometer:
    Check out the link

http://www.allballsracing.com/25-1252.html bearings

http://www.allballsracing.com/11-1081-1.html Spacers

This is the link for the all balls kits and they list the bearing and spacer kits to suit 03 and 12 as being the same bearing and from experience they make most of there wheels the same only the later yz450f and yz250f have a larger rear axel diameter.

My yz 426 has 09 wr cush wheels in it and I have lent my standard wr 18 inch rear to a mate with a 2011 yz 250 two stroke. They are all the same i think.
    :1drink:1drink:1drink
  20. MingRidesBikes

Oddometer:
    So I see from the link (http://www.allballsracing.com/25-1252.html bearings) that the rear wheel bearings are the same on a WR450F 03-12 (which is awesome, but I thought for sure that 09 wr's had the larger diameter rear axle like the yz's. Maybe I have been mistaken?)

But the 2nd link (http://www.allballsracing.com/11-1081-1.html Spacers) doesn't show that the spacers will work past 2011 (WR450F 03-11). The hubs I have are made by Radd Manufaturing if that makes a difference. Would anyone know since the bearings are the same I'm guessing axle size did not change in any of the WR450F generation changes, if all that is needed is the correct 2012 spacers to get the wheels to fit? If I swap and use the spacers from the stock wheels that come with the 2012 wr450 (hoping no changes to hubs, and brake/sprocket bolt patterns) as well as the sprocket and rotors should they work??

Thanks for the links they did help a lot! Just need that final clearification. May call Radd too, just to see if they have made hubs for the 2012 yet and can verify that the build is the same.