Part 2: Me, a blonde, 2 Ducati's....4,000 miles (and then some)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GP1152, May 7, 2013.

1. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The other day I was talking with a friend of mine, talking about how I have found that I am most content when I have something to look forward to. That's something I always seem to NEED. I need something to prepare for. Think about it. We've all been there. For me, it seems to always be the trips we take. That's what keeps me going, so to speak.

The current plan is the follow-up to last years trip which took us from here in the SF Bay Area to Victoria, Canada and back via Eastern Washinton, Idaho and Oregon. THIS time though, we have more time. For the previous trip we had 15 days. This time it looks like we'll have almost 20. Also, last trip Stephanie was on her Ducati Monster 696. This time, she'll be on her new Ducati Streetfighter 848:
    [​IMG]

Some of you may have followed along on that trip. At the end of it I mentioned how we were going to look into getting a truck that we could haul the bikes with, letting us get out bit further, allowing us to start a loop that would otherwise take an extra few days just in transit time (on the bikes). On the bikes, you could be looking at an extra 3-4 days depending on the starting point (round trip). Sure you can do it in a hurry, but the point of the trip is to have a good time, not suffer on a long slab of highway. I'd rather spend the time riding than commuting. With the truck we'll be able to load up and drive through the day (and perhaps night) to get to the starting point. In the case of this trip, we'll drive the +/- 700 miles it'll take to get to Southern Utah and start from there.
    We fullfilled this "need" recently when we got a Ford Raptor (I know it's a bit more than what we would need just to haul the bikes, but we plan on having other non-motorcycle related fun with it too).

With our dirt-bikes:
    [​IMG]

There will be more to come. For now though, below is the basic route we are planning to take through Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah. Thanks to all that have already answered my questions and given their input as to any specific roads or destinations we shouldn't miss. If you have any ideas on what you'd add or leave out, please feel free to post and give your input.

More to come.... :thumb

Click HERE for route

[​IMG]
  2. OkieGman

OkieGman Working Stiff

Oddometer:
    I'm in :lurk

Enjoyed your last RR this looks even better.

I just have one request - please don't show any pics of the bikes or Steph b/c they just detract from your writing:rofl
  3. jerdog53

jerdog53 Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer:
    :lurk
  4. STisma

STisma Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well said, the preparation and the planing of the trip is half the fun.
    Or the first third. Or.......

:lurk ......:jkam .......:bubba........ :getiton
  5. clint64

clint64 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I in as well. Really enjoyed your last ride report and look forward to this one as well.
  6. mistasam

mistasam ciao!

Oddometer:
    Subscribing! Can't wait dude :clap
  7. 2on2off

2on2off Head'n somewhere new

Oddometer:
    If you can, plan to stop at the Kiva Koffee House on highway 12. It is about 20 miles east of Bryce Canyon National Park in Utah. It is a "must see" if highway 12 is on your route. It is easy to miss because it is in the middle of nowhere, but that particular "nowhere" is spectacular. Here is the link:

http://www.kivakoffeehouse.com/

I believe they are closed on Tuesdays, so plan accordingly. They also have two cottages where you can spend the night. I would put it on your route and then ride all of highway 12 because you won't regret it.

Monument Valley, east of the Grand Canyon, is also great if you have the time.

The "Going To The Sun Road" in Glacier National Park in Montana is the most majestic National Park I have been to yet. This road typically doesn't open until July because they get 70 feet of snow on that road and it takes a while to clear. It is also sometimes closed in September because of construction so call ahead and make sure it is open if you plan to ride it.

I got caught in a 3 day snow storm in Jackson, Wy in June the first time I tried to get there so check the weather on your destinations and adjust as needed.

Your loop looks great.

Here is a link to a ride report I wrote when I finally made it to the going to the sun road after two other failed attempts:
    http://pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23253

Another report on riding into Yellowstone National Park and riding Bear Tooth Pass. Here is the link:
    http://pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19138

Not trying to hijack your thread but hope the information will serve as a resource for you in planning.
  8. Creeker747

Creeker747 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looks like a great ride! Subscribed. :lurk
  9. TLR_Mart

TLR_Mart Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Love hearing about this part of the world, cause I would love to take my time and tour whenever A) I have money, B) I have time.

Of course, winning the lottery would fix A and B :)

Continue on! Can't wait to read your adventures, and see the beautiful sights!
  10. live2ridetahoe

live2ridetahoe BSN, RN, CEN, TCRN, CTRN Supporter

Oddometer:
    Subscribed!!

Love your ride reports. Really looking forward to this one. Like I said in your other thread, make sure you do Beartooth Pass out of the northeastern exit of Yellowstone. I really think you'll enjoy it.

Jeff G.
  11. biowil

biowil will ride for beer

Oddometer:
    It's a natural hot springs 30 minutes off the beaten path. Just north of Jackson Hole, by Flagg Ranch, just before you enter Yellow Stone. Used to be a "locals spot". Last time I was there I only saw wildlife...no people. You can ask locals for help getting there, or some dude wrote about how to get there here: http://unofficialnetworks.com/huckleberry-hot-springs-5876/
  12. 413.45

413.45 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Glad to see this, I just read your last RR a few weeks ago. Very Good!
    I just got home from 13 days up ID,MT.BC,WA,OR,CA,NV thinking about doing RR on it.
    When are you leaving?
    I live just north of St. George if you need parking for your truck or let me buy you dinner, etc.
    Good route, A couple things to consider, instead of taking 20 to I15, stay on 89 thru Panguitch, UT then make that whole loop 143/148 (Beautiful) then drop into Cedar City, UT on 14.
    Also south of Spanish Fork, UT I would go east and come down 6/89 and hit 31 and 96 Very fun roads. If time permits. I try to avoid freeways. Just some thoughts for you to mull over.
  13. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    lol......so you're that one guy that really reads playboy for the articles!!! lol, just kidding. Funny you say that because each time we take a new trip I feel the pictures will always be better than the last. Every time out is a learning experience.

Thanks Sam. Keep me posted on your trip as well. I was glad to hear when you mentioned in the other thread that you and your GF were also heading out on the road :D
  14. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll definitely look into the ride reports (didn't think you were trying to hijack the thread, no worries).

A big thanks for all the tips. This is all great info. I'm sure I'll pick up a thing or two from your RR as well. And thanks a lot for the tip on the Kiva Koffee House. We will definitely make a stop there. It's pretty close to where our starting point will be so, considering the fact that we'll likely get in really late the night before and will likely get a late start the next day, this may just be a cool place to spend the first night.
  15. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Definitely don't have to win the lottery to take a trip. You may not be able to just wander around aimlessly like we all would like to, but you can certainly pick a few days to get out and do it. :D

Thanks Jeff. We have that on there. Looks like an incredible road!!
  16. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    looks like a great trip - some of the best road riding in the country. I have been through that area twice on my multistrada and my wife on her aprilia. It will be a great trip. Not to give you too many options, but if you're in escalante and want a little something different check this out - www.shootingstardrive-in.com/‎

A bit of kitsch, but really a cool place to spend a night. We've recently moved to Flagstaff to be closer to all the great riding around here. We'll be heading back up that way toward the end of june. Have a great trip. (ps my wife's a blond nurse also, although sometimes her hair is pink) Love the bikes too.
  17. GP1152

GP1152 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is the information I'm looking for!! Great stuff. As the route progresses I try my best to find ANYTHING but freeways (as you may have gathered from the last RR).
    We both appreciate the offer for dinner and also to park the truck at your place. That's very generous of you. If we get in too late for dinner at the beginning, we'll definitely do it when we get back in. Oh and I may take you up on the offer to park the truck as I was hoping to talk to the manager of whatever hotel we stay at to see if I could leave it there.
  18. NitroRoo

NitroRoo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    subbed! Looking forward to it!
  19. ViperJustin

ViperJustin Retired HH60G Gunner

Oddometer:
    I really enjoyed your last trip. I cant wait to see this one unfold!
  20. h2oboy

h2oboy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking at the google map you linked, you do not have Bear Tooth on it. It looks like you're coming into the north entrance to Yellowstone. To do BearTooth you should be on 212 at the NE corner of Yellowstone by Red Lodge MT.

I would have suggested Rattlesnake Grade and Old Spiral Highway in Lewiston but I know you did those on your last trip. Seeing new stuff is usually better in far away places imho.

Looking forward to reading this one.