2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    but way way more dirt bike/dirt road cruiser than s1o, multi, and the behemoth triumph. And way more road bike than the smaller tiger and beemer. Given the weight is the same as the 990 it may be very similar to it aside from the engine
  2. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cut it out-- the whiners are having fun with it.:lol3
  3. Boredsurfer

Boredsurfer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ... looks great to me. As for the wheel size, maybe KTM is going to follow the Tiger 800XC route and offer 2 different models? - one "road" version with a 19, and a "dirtier" version with the 21"?

I myself doubt it though... this new release 1290 seems to follow that dealer meeting product line pdf from a while back:

a) this is the 1290 to compete for the GS/Multistrada crowd.
    b) an updated 990 with "1090" internals will be released later with a more dirt focus. (However with their new 1290, this idea may be hard to justify seeing how much overlap there would be between these 2 models - maybe the rumored "unicorn 700cc - 850cc" dual-sport would be the viable segment to go after instead).

Who knows - I certainly don't. Can't wait till october.
  4. Night Falcon

Night Falcon Previous Rider

Oddometer:
    Is this the begining of the end for hardcore adventure bikes from KTM, they've already ditched the 640/690 adv? They might go the way of the japs and just produce dirt bikes and soft adv/ road bikes :eek1
  5. Balsta

Balsta Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you think one will be able to order one with the true 180 hp motor from the supersport model?

About the tire alternatives, what about ordering both sets? Easy switching from road to dirt and vice versa would make sense.
  6. Taurkon

Taurkon Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here is a link to a German review of the bike. Use the Google translator (or any translator) to read it in English.

http://www.motorradonline.de/news/ktm-1190-adventure-r-die-starke-zweizylinder-enduro/421395

Highlights that stand out to me in no specific order:

1. 150 hp - Article seems to indicate there is a feature to lower hp to 100 when required.
    2. Traction Control (manage that 150hp in the dirt)
    3. 510lbs WET with a 24L fuel tank
    4. Oil window

The one thing I don't like is the drive by wire similar to the Multistrata. I prefer something I can fix in the middle of nowhere.
  7. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    Speaking of tires...I want to see what kind of 21 & 18 tire combo can manage 150hp on tarmac and still be decent off road. Is there such thing?
  8. gkaan

gkaan Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer:
    it appears this bike is directly targeted to compete with the MTS1200, Triumph explorer and upcoming watercooled R1200GS. I'm sure it will have typical KTM attributes which means top shelf components, agile handling and be more dirt worthy than those competitiors. im ok if it is less offroad capable than the current ADV as i already have more dirt oriented options and what i really want is a tall comfortabe bike that is great all rounder......with big power. Im curious to see what tires / wheel packages will be offered but with WP suspension and a 150HP motor im 100% certain this bike is going to be better than either the triumph or GS for my needs. its going to come down to this vs the MTS1200.

9. SonnyCooL

SonnyCooL n00b

Oddometer:
  10. wilmar13

wilmar13 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I kinda wish I would have waited to buy this instead of my RC8R. One thing for sure, this is a peach of an engine. The same reasons the RC8R gets beaten up by the sportbike mags that crave top end rush, make this a great power plant for this bikes intended use. Huge midrange grunt and perfect fueling, this is the best EFI bike I have ever ridden.

Now for my speculation: there will not be any 1090 or 1290, never was. It was just a feeler and/or a bit of misinformation to mess with competition (j/k).

And the ABS as explained in the link finally makes sense! Thank you for a mode that allows minimal front slip with no rear wheel ABS as an option for those that actually know how to ride motorcycles. It's about time ABS was used as performance enhancer and not a bureaucrats edict to protect people from themselves while paradoxically making them less safe when used by a competent user in its intended use. :lol3
  11. flux_capacitor

flux_capacitor I know a shortcut!

Oddometer:
    Could that be a single fuel cap in those pics??? Hallelujah. Have to say its growing on me. I still would prefer a 690 Adventure though.
  12. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ugh. 150 HP? Really?

If they had asked, update the 990 with lighter SOHC heads based on the new EXC/SXF, drop 50 or 75 lbs and 95 HP is already more than enough. An easier to access air filter/heads/oil changes, a single fuel tank that maybe extended under the seat/subframe to make it thinner up front. After a decade the engine could have been cast cases like the new dirtbikes too, lighter, stronger.

If I wanted a BMW/Ducati/Triumph I'd just buy one.
  13. Jaimoto

Jaimoto Spaniard in Chile

Oddometer:
    :lol3
    I'm always trying to learn more about english language. I'll save this phrase to discuss it with my english teacher!
    PS: I agree
  14. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    And if they would have asked how to take 75 pounds off without weakening the bike while. keeping the cost under $40k?

I don't want a BMW/Ducati/Triumph/MG/Yamaha: but I could be interested in a KTM version of them.
  15. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    I said 50-75, and with all the R&D I think 50 would be a good target rather than what they came up with!

They could have moved more towards the SE as a start, single exhaust and put $ into weight loss rather than 150 HP, no? The LC-8 was awesome, ten years ago! Look at development in their own EXCs and Husabergs as far as simplifing and weight loss. I'll bet the engine could drop 20lbs easily with new castings and SOHCs. It could also have dropped in displacement and made 100 HP too. A reinforced plastic subframe fuel tank fed thru a thin front tank would be a good start. Husaberg 70 degree style airfilter you don't need to dig thru 20 bolts top get out. I could go on but nobody would want less rotating engine mass and a 400ish lbs bike that was easier to service, right?

They targeted the brands I mentioned, but those brands don't build anything that interest me. The last thing on my list of wants is 150 HP, been there and don't need it. Useless numbers on a street/dirt machine.
  16. crazybrit

crazybrit Defying any self identifying

Oddometer:
    It's odd that the asphalt&rubber article quoted a few posts back is still talking about the USA dealers meeting powerpoint and the 2014 1290 being the bike that will get the 19" front since FechFech's previous post quotes the German review saying that there will be a 1190 non-R with the 19" front.

If the Ducati/Triumph is the high hp target I'm surprised they didn't refocus the existing SMT into this new 1190 Adventure role and for the 21/18" R version have a smaller v-twin, less hp, weight loss as suggested above.

I get why you'd want 150hp, I just don't get why you'd want it on a 21"/18" equipped dual-sport bike.
  17. Deviant666

Deviant666 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

If the actual manifestation of the 1190 adventure proves to be more powerful (i sure could use 150hp on long hauls) and lighter than the 990 I don't get why you re against it...especially considering the fact that they will give you the option to reduce that monstrous power to 100hp for off roading....(I'm also very intrested to see how the front ABS-on read ABS-off will be in off roading...in theory it should be great)....
  18. gkaan

gkaan Bikes on the Brain

Oddometer:
    I get that its too big, too heavy, too complex and has too much HP for your current needs. However, as mentioned before, I'm the target customer for this bike and you clearly are not. This bike has made me re-think my decision that the MTS1200 is my next bike and I will certainly wait until more info on the 1290 is available before I make a purchase.
    my definition of an all rounder at this point includes (but is by no means limited to) loading my bike with 50 lbs of gear and heading out for a few days with a passenger. I'm not getting any younger so comfort is important to me especially when riding all day for multiple days. I'm looking for something that can be ridden hard and is a blast solo on twisty, bumpy backroads but also capable on the long haul which means; decent range, comfort for 2, room for a lot of stuff and dirt road ready.
    I have owned an 950SE, 950ADV and now own a 950SM and an HP2e...all awesome bikes for their intended purposes. And I would argue that even 100HP is useless/overkill off road. In contrast IMO 100HP even on a 400lb bike is underpowered and non-satisfying for a lot of street riding especially wihen fully loaded with 400+ lbs on board. I just dont get people who say 150HP is useless on the street??? Perhaps it is simply a statement of the fact that some people ride differently than you? Although i would agree that the bike you describe would be awesome it's a completely different and much smaller target market than the new 1290 is aiming at.....and considering KTM is in business to make money would they even consider building such a bike?

19. Ramv

Ramv Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My Ducati is claimed 150 hp. I don't know, it feels slow to me in the mountains. It will scoot above 90 mph but getting there just doesn't do much for me. The 90 hp SE is a lot more exciting spinning the tire rather than just pinning it and shifting at 70 mph to 2nd. Neither power wheelie although the SE definitely unloads the suspension. The multi has 3 different maps, and I find they are all useless, I just keep it in 150HP "high" even on bad roads. If I want to accelerate slower, I give it less throttle?:huh

The new Adv looks like a great replacement for the Multi and actually have off-road prowness. I would definitely hope for RC8R power.
  20. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer: