Bicycles on the road

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by ThatOtherGuy, Oct 12, 2011.

1. NC Scott

NC Scott MOmymamamamaMOmymama

Oddometer:
    55-8-175 Riding on Roadways and Bike Paths

a) (1) Any person operating a bicycle upon a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall ride as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except under any of the following situations:

(A) When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction;

(B) When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway; or

(C) When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes that make it unsafe to continue along the right-hand curb or edge. For purposes of this section, "substandard width lane" means a lane that is too narrow for a bicycle and another vehicle to travel safely side by side within the lane.

(2) This subsection does not apply to a certified police cyclist engaged in the lawful performance of duty relating to traffic control.

(b) (1) Persons riding bicycles upon a roadway shall not ride more than two (2) abreast except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for the exclusive use of bicycles. Persons riding two (2) abreast shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic and, on a laned roadway, shall ride within a single lane.

(2) This subsection does not apply to a certified police cyclist engaged in the lawful performance of duty relating to traffic control or in pursuit of an actual or suspected violator of the law.

(c) A violation of this section is a Class C misdemeanor.
  2. Offblnz

Offblnz Long timer

Oddometer:
    Man, you 'Merikans need to learn some road culture! All your fucking anger, bicyclist, motorcyclist, cagers and pedestrians are all one big knot of anger waiting to spew. I have been driving semis, cage, motorcycle and my bicycle and the aggressiveness towards me on/in any of those vehicles are astounding to me.
    Where the fuck are you going in such a hurry? Sheesh!

Apart from that, when I'm on my motorcycle and meet any of those idiot spandex clad ass wipes I give them as much room as is safe for the both of us. When I'm on my bicycle I stay as far to the right as I can, but the shoulders in the US is not always a nice place to be for a bicycle especially after a hard winter. When I'm in a car and there's no good sight lines I'll stay behind them till I can pass and I don't give a hoot how slow they're going, I only have to push down on a pedal to go faster, no strain on me whatsoever and even if I had to stay behind them for 2-3 minutes it'll only delay me at my destination by....wait...plus and plus is equal to...2-3 minutes!:huh Yeah, that'll ruin my day!

Calm the hell down out there in traffic people. Close to 40.000 US people are killed in traffic every year just trying to get from point A to point B.
    squonker and william munny like this.
  3. filmfan

filmfan Long timer

Oddometer:
    I am also an avid cyclist, and in agreement with the other cyclists that have commented here.

For me, I'd much rather you move by with the 3 feet or so of clearance than move all the way into the other lane, I don't mind the lane sharing. After 30 years of riding I'm used to it, no worries.

Also, around here, (S.E. New Hampshire) the roads are narrow and winding, with many blind curves. Car or Moto, I'd much rather have you move by than either pace me a couple of feet off my back wheel and possibly blocking other traffic, or move into the opposing lane when a log truck might be approaching from the other way.

As for our fellow riders who block the road, etc. there are bad apple cyclists just as there are ones riding motos, driving cages and trucks. I'm happy to apologize for them, but please don't paint everyone on a bicycle with the same brush. I'm happy to give you as much room as I can, but I also need to steer clear of road debris and other hazards that you may not notice.

BTW, several states have a 3 foot minimum law, generally, it's 3 feet min for 30 MPH or less, and 1 foot additional for each 10 MPH over 30.

Oh, and for gawd sakes, if I wave you by, please give the throttle a twist, or press the right hand pedal and do it.
  4. marcoma

marcoma Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I can't tell you the controversy this subject had on another forum I frequent. It ended up with members boycotting the forum after some VERY heated debates.

I'm working in Australia after living in America and one thing I am amazed at here is the fact they allow cyclists on the freeways (sometimes in very large packs). It's REALLY dangerous IMHO. I know bicyclists are entitled to use the road as much as anyone else but thats asking for trouble - and not the cyclists fault either.
  5. O.C.F.RIDER

O.C.F.RIDER Loose nut behind h/bars

Oddometer:
    Just reading the article in your link, and the comments afterwards. I read some comments that say this is a very curvy, narrow, and hilly road that the ACCIDENT happened on, and some say it was straight and flat. SO? And your friends say the perp had a similar idea to mine, splitting between the cyclist's? Yeah, with a Dodge Durango! It's almost the same thing as a KTM 950, right? Similar width's for both? I also read that the driver say's he reached down to pick something up, and when he looked back up.......there they were. Bad judgement to be taking your eye's off the road, even for a second or two? Sure. Have you ever done the same thing? EVER? I bet you have, just like most EVERYONE has at one time or another.Did you happen to notice that the court isn't giving the driver a chance to "plea out" from a reckless homicide charge? MAYBE because the deceased Doctor has a certain family member who happen to be the Attorney General (at least according to some of the comments I read)l? "Gang-Bangers" get to plea-out stuff every day. It's terrible for anyone's family to suffer the kind of loss that doctor's did, and I DO NOT think the driver should get off with nothing, shit it could have been ME on a motorcycle getting squashed by his Durango just as easy as the doctor on his bicycle, but it doesn't sound like this driver was trying to kill someone that day.
    And back to the passing of bicyclist's...........................
    So, just how long is one supposed to wait? 30 seconds? 2 minutes? 7 minutes? Until the end of the road? Until THEY decide that they are going to grant you the privilege of passing? You don't seem to get it that these pecker-heads in this area think THEY and they alone own the road.

What, you think I NEVER rode a bicycle?
    NEWSFLASH........................I have, and still do sometimes. You wouldn't have to pass me like that because I wouldn't be pissing you off by riding in the middle of the road like an asshole. And I shouldn't HAVE to cross a double-yellow, risking a big ticket, to pass some inconsiderate douche-bag's that won't move over.

Fuck You & Canuckastan!

:lol3

You sound like a bicyclist that hasn't been riding around with his helmet strap pulled to tight. :thumb If more of "them" around here thought and acted like you, people (besides me) wouldn't be so ticked-off. Big Up's to you! :clap

Chris
    novaks47 likes this.
  6. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    Five feet of space is standard by NM law. Usually this means moving to inside of the lane while I'm on a motorcycle.
  7. '05Train

'05Train Mind is not for rent

Oddometer:
    Same thing here. You see the arrogant pricks riding 3-wide on narrow roads with a half-mile of traffic behind them. They scream about sharing the road, yet they blow through stop signs and don't signal their turns.
    O.C.F.RIDER and novaks47 like this.
  8. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have a lot of bicyclist around here....even worse now the leaf peeping season is upon us...

I don't really care if you ride a bike or not. I too have seen many groups riding 3 or 4 abreast on curvy roads with speed limits of 50mph....There is a big charity race up here every year, more than once I have come around a corner pulling a 7K lb trailer at 50mph only to have to smoke the tires to avoid hitting the a group of riders....then I get flipped off:huh

So sorry I'm not crossing the double yellow to pass a bicyclist....when I lived in FL these butt heads would cruise past a long line of cars waiting a draw bridge to get to the head of the line....then keep traffic backed up as each car had to pass them one by one.....

If they would just follow the rules of the road they would get less grief from motorists....slap a registration plate on their ass and I'll have more respect....:rofl
    novaks47 likes this.
  9. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:

Now that's funny...:rofl
  10. Offblnz

Offblnz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm Danish, you American fuckwit!:lol3
  11. bumblebee1

bumblebee1 All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer:
    What's the difference between riding three bikes wide on a 55 mph road or just driving a cage at a pleasant 15 mph.
    I should be able to drive at the speed I want, regardless of what others think.
    The leaves are beautiful this time of year and sometimes I slow down from 15 miles per hour to about 7 to get a better view.
    Is there anything wrong with that?
    Oh, and I slow down when climbing hills too. It saves on gas.
    Actually, we get together with a few cages, ride a nice parkway in the mountains at that speed.
    It's like our own parade...and it's legal.

Are we getting the picture here?
    It frustrates the hell out of everybody else.
    novaks47 likes this.
  12. car94

car94 What's this Box for?

Oddometer:
    Your a Douche! :asshatAnyone who intentionally does shit like that will kill a dog for fun and beat women and children. If saw something like that I would follow that punk bitch till he stopped and beat his and your ass:bash! And I hate those dick wad bicycle riding dip shits but I respect there right to do dumb shit like ride a bike up a narrow mountain rd. Just like when I am on my Motorcycle I have the right to ride without being hassled by some redneck douche nozzle in a POS Dodge. I generally do not care much about any healthy adult until I see someone bigger or or with more power Finacial or political taking advantage of or messing with the little guy. In this case its the dummies on bicycles. :pissed
  13. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:

Wow how is exhaust fumes even remotely the same as killing a dog for fun?? Their actions warrant no more than a flip off.....Lighten up you'll live longer...
  14. car94

Oddometer:
    No problem Just get the hell out of the way of the people who do not have the time to slow down to look at leaves, there are laws in all states about impeding the flow of traffic even if you going the speed limit in the passing lane. That's why the sign says slower traffic move over or move right! It does not say move over if you are going slower than the speed limit but stay in the fast lane if you are going the speed limit.
  15. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Why do so many believe that others must get out of their way? Where does this inflated sense of worth come from? They're usually the first to cry foul when not getting their way yet in other circumstances fuck everyone else. Enjoy the heart attacks and strokes. :huh
  16. Offblnz

Offblnz Long timer

Oddometer:
    I already asked that and I got flipped off:lol3

Problem is, no one knows why they're the nicest people with their feet planted on Terra Firma, but as soon as they're in/on a moving object they're the most important person on the planet and hate everyone else. There's some good theories about it, but you try to ask someone, sitting next to them when they behave idiotic in traffic why they don't calm the hell down they'll get this self-righteous look on their face and gibberish starts flowing out their mouths.
    Very weird and pathetically sad.
  17. car94

Oddometer:
    Whoever was driving that truck and the idiot filming are intentionally inflicting harm on another human being whether its exhaust fumes or torture its the same principal. When it comes to hurting innocent people or animals I get very irrate and my sympathy for the perpetraitor goes out the window. All the studies in the world show that this kind of behavior only escalates to more and more violent behavior. The driver and his passenger are future serial killers unless they are stopped.
  18. car94

Oddometer:
    Its not an inflated sense of worth, I pay the same taxes as the rest of the people and should be able to travel at the speed limit determined to be safe by the DOT, without being impeaded by someone who is looking at leaves. Why do people who are sightseing think that everyone should be doing what they are doing where does your inflated sense of worth come from??:norton
    novaks47 and Mountainman38 like this.
  19. Offcamber

Offcamber Long timer

Oddometer:

I think your reaching...but whatever everyone is entitled to an opinion....:freaky
  20. car94

Oddometer:
    Have A Good Day:1drink