Hotrodding the GS

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Poolside, Nov 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnjen

johnjen Now, even more NOW!…

Oddometer:
    You can also restore 'stock' operation by moving the jumper to the -0 position, instead of removing it. Either accomplishes the same thing.

And just so you know…
    The Air only really has an effect when the throttle itself moves (as in opens or closes) and not when it is held steady. Well mostly anyhow.

I described the Air's overall effect like getting a tuneup. Everything is just a little crisper, transitions, as in changing the rpm's of the engine using the throttle, are more precise with less lag and more closely resemble an electric motor.

JJ

2. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I considered that initially, but figured that the gross motor skill movements of unplugging the temp sensor plugs and re-plugging back to stock configuration was a safer bet than fumbling around and dropping the little jumper thing in the grass alongside the road... :eek1 In the end though, neither happened because I was enjoying riding with it installed too much to worry about comparing. I guess once the "new" wears off I'll satisfy my curiosity as well as confirm that it isn't just in my head.

And yeah, the throttle transitions was where I could feel a difference.

I guess your electric motor analogy is similar to my description of, "It seemed as though it made the throttle more "connected" and easier to modulate as well". :thumb

3. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck...

In all seriousness, thanks for the thorough report. You're not the first person to say those things about the power. "Goes really great... Accelerates much better... Front end is light... But I don't know if it's making more power."
    </td></tr></table>

<BR>
  4. Giuseppe

Giuseppe Medium-Viz

Oddometer:
    Poolside,

This reminds me of a question I wanted to ask: If you're going to perform a tune-up, TB sync, or any other engine-related maintenance work, is there a benefit to returning the jumper to the -0 (stock) position first (vs leaving it at -20) or does it make no difference at all...? Thanks!
  5. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>Hey there Giuseppe.

JJ answered that one just the other day. I'll have to put a link to it in the FAQ section located in the first post of this thread.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=18288813#post18288813

It doesn't make any difference, either way balanced throttle bodies are balanced throttle bodies.
    </td></tr></table>

<BR>
  6. Zoshi

Zoshi n00b

Oddometer:
    I have to say that installing the IICE Air made me realize that I actually need a new clutch...:D
  7. Happy Wanderer

Happy Wanderer Day Dreaming.. .

Oddometer:
    Probably reasonable to assume dealers will react to the Ice Air the same way they react to the Booster Plug. I have visited two different dealers in the past 3 years with a Booster Plug on two different bikes. Once here in Vancouver and once in California. Once because I needed to find out if any fault codes were present and the other because I was far far away and needed a throttle synch done pronto. Normally I stay away and just do my own thing.

In both cases I was told they would not plug in the diagnostic computer or service the bike with the Booster Plug attached to the bike. Reasons given were twofold; one that it might throw off the readings and two that it was not a stock item.

For the time it takes to unplug such devices, I would just unplug them before service so as not to delay anything. Hourly rates being what they are why spend time being asked what it is and why it is there and so on. Savvy dealers may not bother of course.
  8. opposedcyljunkie

opposedcyljunkie Heavyweight Boxer

Oddometer:
    Those likely are dealers who are not in the know of things. They see something foreign installed in the bike, they freak out. I really do not expect the BP or the IICE Air to throw off the readings from the GS911 or their GT-1. Hell, even with the IICE Air in the zero setting, I bet they'll still make you remove it.

Via Tapatalk
  9. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    That's a good one Zoshi!

<BR>
  10. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>Assembly report.

What the heck is going on up in here? I'll tell you. On Sunday and again yesterday I tried to proceed with the epoxy potting steps. Those are the last few steps before final test and shipping. The thing about those procedures is they require me to stand up leaned far over a table for about 2 hours each. Which is of course normally no big deal right. Except for I injured my back last week. It's feeling a lot better when standing straight or sitting, but still tightens up if I bend forward at the waist for any length of time.

What this means is, I can do all the assembly steps except for the epoxy potting steps. For now that means building boards and wiring harnesses, and staging the completed assemblies for the final epoxy steps. This is more or less still ok because there's 102 remaining pieces over here. I've been at it for a few hours tonight.

I'll give epoxy a go again tomorrow and if it feels ok then that will mean Saturday shipping. Thanks for understanding.
    </td></tr></table>

<BR>
  11. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried inversion therapy? It has changed my life.
  12. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>Not as of yet. But thanks for the thought. Once upon a time I tried some inversion boots. Apparently one needs to acclimate to the inverted bloodflow.

Typically my back is fine, like carry bundles of shingles up a ladder fine. This injury was user error plain and simple. I was working on something and I was in the wrong position for it. You know, it was one of those didn't feel like rearranging everything hold-my-beer-watch-this sort of moments.
    </td></tr></table>

<BR>
  13. BenFongTorres

BenFongTorres Banned

Oddometer:
    Someone mentioned this earlier but another fairly simple (and definitely non-invasive and reasonably priced) therapy is getting yourself a TENS Unit. I am involved in PT right now for a recent knee surgery and the therapists swear by it for pain management and muscle re-education. I'm a believer since using it myself on a VERY messed up knee.
  14. bracky72

bracky72 Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    <table border="0" cellpadding="5" width="650"><tr><td>I think a Chiropractor friend of mine has inversion boots and the TENS units. I'll have to check it out.

Really I should probably return to strength training. Maybe do some situps too, about 80 or 90 thousand of them. :lol3
    </td></tr></table>

<BR>
  16. grpweld

grpweld Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just got a inversion table & it has really helped Me. That being said! it might not work for everyone, it all depends on the causes for your back pain. My chiropractor recommended the inversion over the gravity boots as he said the anti-gravity boots cause you to be stressed & you need to be relaxed for it to work. also he only recommended going back approx. 45*
  17. Giuseppe

Giuseppe Medium-Viz

Oddometer:
    Duh, how'd I miss that? :doh

Thanks, Poolside.
  18. JRWooden

JRWooden never attribute to malice...

Oddometer:
    I got my IICE and installed it at the conservative -10 setting.
    I drove round the block and having not broken the bike ... packed up for a trip to the coast,
    for which I installed my BMW Vario panniers ... usually I ride with just a small top box.
    The -10 setting seems to work fine I like it ...

I need to do some more baselining, but I want to say that having the IICE (at -10) actually IMPROVED my gas mileage ....

I'm happy! :clap
  19. erkmania

erkmania I Remain Undeturd

Oddometer:

Hmm, mine must be in the mail. I was planning on a -10 setting myself and there you are with a -10 review. I think my many month patience may soon be rewarded, but hopefully not at the expense of Poolside's back.

Get well soon PS.

PS: PS = Poolside not PS :rofl
  20. Randy

Randy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you guys really waiting MONTHS for y'alls?

I had mine in my hand like 3 weeks after placing me order... weird!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.