Pictures of your Best Friend

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by Kaw4Life, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Ballics

Ballics Dirty Adventurer

Oddometer:
  2. RandoCommando

RandoCommando Wannabe

Oddometer:
    Kaw
    Get in touch with Paws To The Rescue.
    They pull dogs from high kill shelters and transport them all over.
    I know they've had sheppard puppies before.
  3. sallydog

sallydog https://sallydog.smugmug.com/Pets/LD-Travel/

Oddometer:
    petfinder.com has plenty german sheppard dogs
  4. snowman318

snowman318 Future Corpse

Oddometer:
    Since we are talking rescue, we got her.
    [​IMG]
    We were sitting a pit bull that was sick. The owner decided to put her down.
    Broke the wife's heart. Found Bailey and were sitting til they found a home.
    Now our home, and the wife is happy!
  5. Stan Dalone

Stan Dalone Where ever I go, there I am!

Oddometer:
    My fourth rescue to date, and cant imagine any other way of meeting a new friend ! :clap
  6. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Flud on my back

In 2009 Flud could not walk any more during our hike. I had to carry him 2 miles including through the brush and over the ridge in the picture. As soon as we got back from our camp trip I saw the vet who diagnosed hip displaysha. This was my best friend and he lived through july of 2011.
    He finaly could not get up any more.

I dreamt of him last night. That I had to carry him up an 8 foot make shift 2X4 construction latice type structure to the 2nd story of an appartment complex's walk way. But then down the hall there was a rickety 2X4 ladder that was scabbed together with multipal boards. This was 35 foot in length straight down and I could not accomplish the first steps while carrying the dog. The dream ended there but I awoke then too. This guy is with me even though we have a replacement.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Flex the replacement

As a replacement he has been invaluable, he gives more love to you than you can give back to him. He's just a year and a half. It's not easy but you get better.

I have yet to be able to look at the Flud's photo/video archive to create a fairwell movie without busting up a bit. So I have not made the creation...It's still too sad.
  7. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    :cryAwe your FLUD was a keeper,that happened to my samoyed blizzard rescued him in 02 when he was 4/5 from the pound and had him to 2010 when sadly he couldnt stand anymore and I had to put him to sleep because he was going blind,and his hips were shot.Besides losing my folks that was one of the worst days in my life.I had this weird dream last week like where I died and my 3 dogs were there smiling to greet me into the afterlife I guess and they were like talking to me .I dont know what to make of it,but lets just hope it isnt my time to go yet,my one dog I adopted last year is still alive thank god:)
  8. RebelYell

RebelYell Long timer

Oddometer:
    Snowman before I rescued my dog there was a pit at the shelter across from her that looked like your dog and she had pretty yellowish /green eyes.I wish i could adopt more of them unfortunatley I can only afford one right now.
  9. Kaw4Life

Kaw4Life Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. mmonce

mmonce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sometimes it is difficult to coordinate work, family, in general free time with fellow buds to ride with. Everyone has a lot of responsibilities. Everyone except for your Favorite Riding Bud…… “The Mountain Biking Dog”.
    On the trails, I have seen all breeds from mutts, to AKC registered Champions, to shop dogs. They come in more sizes than your Wendy’s Drive-Thru menu: Extra-large 175-lb (Great Pyrenees) to Beagles with large bellies and small heads (Molly Heskin). However, all these dogs have something in common….that is only a commitment to riding with you on your terms and your schedule.
    My favorite riding bud was Woody, my 95-lb Golden Retriever. He would fetch my helmet, add some impressive teeth marks in the process and wag that tail with more excitement than a 5-year-old on Christmas morning.
    I used to drive a ’68 Ford Galaxy (Two bikes could fit in the trunk without removing any wheels…impressive) that had a black vinyl interior. Anyway on any given mtn. bike adventure, Woody would find every mud pit and take a little dip. Woody rode in the back seat and I usually spent more time cleaning car interiors than riding. To clean Woody, I would stop off at the local car wash along Main Street. Needless to say, I had a few on-lookers.
    Woody could smoke me on the climbs (4 wheel drive), and I returned the smoking on the downhills. Although Woody was never the fastest or most graceful, he loved our adventures.
    A few years ago was Woody’s last real mtn. biking ride. It was in Tsali, NC and he had heat exhaustion only after two miles. He ran too hard, trying to be with me instead of slowing to run with my wife. This was singletrack and we tried to carry the 95-lb fellow. We then made a stretcher with logs and a backpack straddled between two bike toptubes. After a emergency visit to the vet, Woody was fine, however his mountain biking days were over.
    After the incident, he still loved to camp and got excited about biking adventures even though he can only watch and not participate. Somedays will I am wrenching in the garage, I’ll take a quick bike spin and Woody would try to run to catch me.
    Woody passed on several years ago and I will never forget him.
  11. mmonce

mmonce Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. 2manyrides

2manyrides shifty charactor

Oddometer:
    Sorry if the words I used were cruel or inappropriate.
    Surely a new best friend, Flex has replaced a hole shot through my heart.:deal
  13. Kaw4Life

Kaw4Life Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neither of those .... all I am saying is that 'for me' they can't be replaced. That is not to say that the next dog is any less special.

That said I need to grow a pair and get another dog, Heidi has been gone for almost three years.
  14. vtwinp

vtwinp Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. fyrfytr

fyrfytr B.U.F.F.

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Tally, 12, on the left, and Eliza, 2, on the right.
  16. DougZ73

DougZ73 Fading off.........

Oddometer:
    Cute dogs.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  17. Juanjo_NY

Juanjo_NY Made in Argentina

Oddometer:
  18. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    My dogs love the snow....we got about 4-5" here in BM(08015) over night.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

She(Molly)is short hair.....but loves loves loves running around in the snow.

Taz, the old man, just goes out and takes care of business. LOL

[​IMG]
  19. Juanjo_NY

Juanjo_NY Made in Argentina

Oddometer:
    haha,
    Niko also can't have anough of the white powder! ;)
    we woke up to 12+ inches of snow today! is going to be fun!:clap
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. DougZ73

Oddometer:
    Nice Juanjo.

Some more with Taz actually playing with his sister.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]