Some 1190 ADV questions

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by SneakyOwl, Apr 19, 2014.

1. SneakyOwl

SneakyOwl n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi guys!

I currently own a KTM Duke 690 2013, but I have been smitten by the "adventure" flu am really thinking of getting the 1190 Adventure bike next year when I upgrade my license from A2 (European standard).

I do love my Duke, but it becomes more and more clear to me that the ADV 1190 would be a more fitting bike for me.

Here are my questions:

Adventure or Adventure R? I know the key differences, and I am leaning toward the Adventure R. It looks meaner, and it have a better "offroad" (gravel) capability which I want to get into if I get the bike.
    The 21" wheel front wheelbase wouldn't be a nuisance in road riding in general? I have seen some crazy videos of people road riding with the R model and pulling off some crazy lean angles, so I am guessing it will be fine.

Luggage:
    In the Powerparts catalogue for the bike, there is both a "touring" luggage setuo and a normal alu side and top cases.
    Which is better?

As far as looks and practicality, I am leaning towards the "Touring luggage kit".

The touring luggage kit (the ones that have the sidecase formed for the exhaust) says "water resistant" and the other kit says waterproof. have anyone tested the touring cases to see if they can withstand some crappy weather?

Also... Does the Touring luggage sidecase fit with the Akrapovic slip-on? It would be pointless of me to get those cases if it didn't as the exhaust would have been swapped sooner or later anyways.

Thanks in advance for all replies :)
    Now I'll go back to your 1190 Adv picture thread to drool some more.

Oh, and for anyone curious, here's my Duke:

[​IMG]
  2. SneakyOwl

SneakyOwl n00b

Oddometer:
  3. RobZorba

RobZorba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The 21 in front end turns slower / requires slightly more counter steering bar pressure compared with the 19 in front end. Some road riders prefer the 19 in front because it "feels" lighter. My personal preference is for the heavier feel of the 21 in front wheel.

The alu cases advertised by KTM are made by Touratech. Black ones are available direct from Touratech if you prefer them to the brushed alu which are the only color from KTM. They are about 2 inches wider overall than the the moulded touring cases from KTM. I believe those cases are 100% waterproof and will float if dropped in a river.

I wanted narrow "moulded" luggage so chose the touring luggage set (black and alu). The brushed aluminium can weather/ tarnish, so I "protected" mine with plastic film normally used for book covers. I've ridden in a few thunderstorms and can confirm they are weatherproof and dry. They do have small drainage holes in the bottom and would let in water if you drop them in a river.
  4. SneakyOwl

SneakyOwl n00b

Oddometer:
    Ah, that sounds reassuring. Thanks :)
    The KTM touring cases look by far best so far from what I've seen in the pannier thread.
    I don't plan on tossing them into the river, so I should be good to go.

Do they feel flimsy because of the plastic, or do they feel sturdy? Weight limits?
  5. strider.deano

strider.deano Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sneaky,
    Coming from a pure street bike and now you want to do some gravel, maybe two track....the 1190 STD might be a better choice. The R is a fantastic bike but I found it to much of a compromise for really aggressive road work. The STD performs very well for lighter off-road stuff and it will absolutely walk away from the 690 on the pavement. (except maybe on a true motard track).
    Ride them both and then consider where a majority of your miles will be!
  6. RobZorba

RobZorba Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The plastic sides of the cases are sturdy, but they come with a "safety warning" not to place more than 5 kg in any one case, making just 15 kg total. I think this is because of the plastic side frame mounts which imo are not that strong. I suspect the 100% alu cases with tubular frame mounts will carry heavier loads.
  7. SneakyOwl

SneakyOwl n00b

Oddometer:
    Hmm
    It's probably best indeed to book a ride on both bikes.
    The majority of miles will definetly be on the road, so I guess the answer should be simple based on that. Time will show.

Rob: Thanks again. I'll try to get a look at the cases at my dealer's the next time I'm there. They will most likely suffice for my intended use.
  8. jimmex

jimmex Guero con moto Supporter

Oddometer:
    I bought the STD and it is a superb handling road bike. It is also fine for gravel roads too. If I were in Europe, I 'd think hard about the kind of riding I would be doing before going for the R. EIther way, they are both very exciting and capable bikes. Saludos, Jim
  9. cosmickites

cosmickites Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I sold my 990 duke last week and got the 1190 and holly cow

I wish I made this change earlier

The adv 1190 is the best of all worlds

Did 165 fast road miles on Friday (slab, secondary and twisters). The handling and power beats anything I have ridden in past 15 years

Today did 60 hardcore dirt miles

Lots of rocks, roots, mega deep water puddles with hidden obstacles, wet and dirty hill climbs. The bike never failed me even for a second, until I hit soft sand, those tires just are not made for sand but I got through

The electronics are amaxing

I grabbed handfuls of front brake on loose wet rocks and the bike gripped like I was on the street

Off-road mod is awesome, less power (100hp), abs front and freedom to spin and slide the rear

We would exit gnarly woods sections and hit dry pavement and hit the Steet and full on sport bike handling (actually easier in the twisters compared with any sport bike I've owned and ridden)

I can't say enough positives about this bike

Kiss the duke goodbye and love life on this
  10. OrangeV

OrangeV Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's great to hear my friend.

Its amazing that and Adventure bike that looks so good and feels so good can have that type of handling, its better than many sports bikes, however you have the comfort thats the most important thing.

When you are comfortable on a bike you ride better with more confidence and your reaction times are more intune.
    Im always amazed when i hit the uphill twistys and i just use the massive torque of the LC8 to pull me uphills.... Sweet Joy.
    My last bike was K1300s and feel better on the 1190 than on the bmw..
    :D