Rallye navigation bracket photo thread

Discussion in 'Racing' started by wrk2surf, May 4, 2011.

1. tileman

tileman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Put me in line for one of those!!!!!!!
  2. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Try RS for molex connectors. They are the Aust agents and carry just about everything.
  3. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    That would be great. Id love to unclutter the 950A. Lights Im going to move to the tower as well as the start/stop but for the rest - count me in.
  4. Baja Dad

Baja Dad Long timer

Oddometer:

I would take two if the price is right !!!
  5. schattat

schattat Long timer

Oddometer:
    Taken into consideration! :thumb
  6. tommi79

tommi79 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What about mine?
    Just made, CNC machine produced, ready for sardinia rally!!! In case, I have more than 30 to sold.....

Weight: 400g. Suitable for 28mm handlebars.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thats a nice looking part for sure but not quiet the whole nav tower A640 is producing/trialing..
  8. NordieBoy

NordieBoy Armature speller

Oddometer:
    No, but it is a nice simple rallye navigation bracket.
  9. 640 Armageddon

640 Armageddon Xplorer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nice work on the CNC Tommi, nice and simple ! :1drink

As far as the Tower is concerned, I made some progress today. It needs some minor modifications but for the first prototype I am very happy and it is pretty solid even without bolting all the connections. :1drink

So... here it is :D

[​IMG]

Pardon the quality but I was in the garage with my mobile phone only, I will post high quality pics in a future post... The lights come from ADVmonster, two wide and two spot beams...

[​IMG]

That was a close call... Considerig the moke up was made from paper and the measurements where taken using a ruler at least it doesnt touch the fork.. :eek1 it is ok at the moment... In Beta_2 these minor things will be fixed to allow more room for the forks :deal ... I had to use these parts upside down to bring the extra lights higher, I may have to change this support but I am not sure. Time will tell :huh

I envy these people who have a garage, a table to put everything on while I must have all the nuts and bolts on the floor while people come in to park their cars ... :cry And holly mother of God whenever I forget something I have to pack everything, secure them, go home and then fo back to the garage again, unpack everything and continue ... :deal

[​IMG]

Sometimes I loose the odd washer or something but anyways... :evil

[​IMG]

Four mini toggles with four led lights ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, to sum up ... :freaky

1) It easier to install it if you have another person helping you or if you have the right tools for the job... I have given my Facom case to a friend so with the small Beta case installing all the nylock nuts was difficult so I put normal ones with nord locks in order to be able to adjust the position of the Tower, lights etc...
    The final version will have both nord locks and nylock nuts. :wink:
    2) It is very solid it does not look that it would vibrate so much but that is something I have to check when the bike fires up... :deal
    3) The side lights interfere with the KTM fairing :cry ... The slots need to be a little wider and that will be done immediately :wink:
    4) The main KTM switch interferes with the tower base ... (the cables coming from the bottom of the switch), Prototype 1 will be modified to accommodate the switch cables and the design will be altered so the final version is ok.... Question: The main switch has safety bolts that do not have anything to grab on to remove them as the nuts breaks when installing to prevent unauthorised removal... Is the only way drilling ? :huh
    5) The fairing needs to be modified. Well, the tower actually fits with the normal fairing but then again I like more the vertical fairing look and it allows for more positions to choose from ...

Now, the modular design of this thing allows me to remove the Roadbook and the IMOs and put back the KTM speedo with the switches I choose. See below...

[​IMG]

Four toggle switches on top, with led lights, three illuminated rocker switches below the speedo and another three toggles on the right. Both the units above and to the right of the speedo are removable.
    That makes either seven, or ten switches comfigurations ...

[​IMG]

Another config above and just the speedo below...

[​IMG]

The unit above uses the ''shaft'' that the roadbook assembly is fixed (the shaft like the one on Tommi's post above...) so by using removable connectors everywhere it will be a quick change. I will add the ability to add ICO's to the above so for everyday use you still have all the switches (lights, grips, fans etc) with a more of a ''normal use'' look ...
    I will test the tower until the mid November and if it needs to be modified I will proceed to that end. At the end of November there is the 24hrs Rally Raid in which I will race test it :evil and if it stays in one piece we are good to go :freaky ... It has so many degrees of freedom to adjust it so I want to make sure once you set it up it stays where it should... Last year another 640 Adv (not my own :deal ) broke the subframe and threw away its number plate, the side covers and the rear rack without the owner noticing it :lol3 ... I guess lighter is better :rofl

I received from speedaway.co.uk my new cable harness with all the other auxiliary cables and I have bought everything but the mini toggles so come Wednesday I will take the bike to a nice guy to sort out the electrics and do the minor modifications to the tower... I may just have enough time to anodise it black before the race just to see how anodising behaves in difficult conditions... It has to be anodised anyway to be protected from environmental attack... :rayof

oFF i gO ! :pynd
  10. Gany

Gany Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice work!

The main switch safety bolts... You can try using a sharp pin punch to tap the bolt around to undo it but it depends how tight they are and if they have been locktited. My bike had sheer bolts holding the key barrel on as well, however they would not budge with the pin punch no matter how hard i hit it. I ended up drilling out the head then use vice grips to undo them. Having removed them there was so much loctite there was no way they were coming undone with a pin punch... Maybe if i had of heated it first to break the bond:
    http://wr250rforum.forumotion.com/t6044-instrument-cluster-bracket-ignition-barrel-removal
  11. michael1968

michael1968 Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you can get at the heads of the bolts cut a slot with a hacksaw so you can get a flat head screw driver on them.

Have you got anything to absorb the vibrations in there? My mk2 tower was a hell of a lot stiffer than my original, one thing I didn't count on was a lot more high frequency vibration, I had to add some vibration absorbers under the road book holder to stop it.

Nice work by the way!
  12. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice work Dimitri - very nice detailed work.

You can grind the heads off the bolts using an air grinder with a carbide bit. The lock will slide off of the shafts and you can then remove them with vice grips. Then just replace when your ready with bolts that have a specific install tool and if you need to remove in the future you can easily. (if you remember where you put the part???)
  13. MotoMinded

MotoMinded Rally On Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spent a great day with Kevin Muggleton of Team Redverz wiring up his Dakar bike.

Start of the day.
    [​IMG]

Kevin hitting the brake line re-route.
    [​IMG]

End of the day.
    [​IMG]

I think he was happy with progress. :D
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Mr vestal,
    I have one of the D2 pencil beams for my 950 tower project in the new year. I see in your pics he has used the tower plates to bolt through the cooling fins of the lights but how is he altering the pitch of the lights? Is there a arm or lug that Im not seeing?:ear
  15. DRjoe

DRjoe Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you pulled the light out of its box yet Pete?
  16. RenoMoto

RenoMoto Rally Navigator Supporter

Oddometer:
    Inmates:

This project has been in the works for awhile and I thought it was time to drop a teaser shot.

Rally Navigator - Powered by Google Earth.

Create - Print - Share.

[​IMG]

Thanks to fellow inmates HogWild (Scott, the roadbook MASTER!) and GSNorCal (Dave at Rally Management Services) for education and inspiration.

Stay tuned - more to come!
  17. Pete640

Pete640 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wow. That is nice.
    What size screen and type of tablet would u run it on?
  18. Brodovitch

Brodovitch Team ⌘R

Oddometer:
    What about secondary roads in the tulip diagrams? Like crossroads, T-junction, V-split etc?
  19. MotoMinded

Oddometer:
    Hello Pete,
    The lights pivot on the 6mm bolts that come with the lights. I designed the plates to have room for the lights to pivot.
    So just loosen one bolt and pivot the light. :wink: I keep the Dually (4 led) just tight enough I can grab them and adjust without tools.
  20. MotoMinded

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap
    After hearing about this awesome project for so long, So happy to see this getting close!!!
    I am posting in the Roadbook Creation thread.