Detroit Greetings

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by Bruno T ., Sep 2, 2008.

1. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:
    I'm not sure yet which day i can be there on.

Steve, are you planning on riding South Branch Sept. 13 - 14 ?
  2. motopimp

motopimp Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hoping to leave out of Milford Thursday.

3. mykrrrr

mykrrrr advenposeur

Oddometer:
    So would I go completely insane if I mounted up my 606's and then rode then slabbed it down to Indy for the MotoGP race?

I need a new rear tAAr and swmototires.com has the Pirelli MT90 I want but not the matching front. My front Metzeler looks OK for now.
  4. D in the D

D in the D discipulus adventum

Oddometer:
    Shifter,

Excellent point. The daylight thing has made me think that I need to shorten my route to meet my schedule of days.

The first photo has me hooked on the ride report!
  5. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:
    If you're considering slabbing it to Indy on your 640 Adventure, the 606's will be the least of your problems.

BTW . . rack tubes are 18 MM OD (.708").
  6. motopimp

motopimp Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The Hippo...you are a dimented...oh...that's right I forgot that's a prerequisite here, never mind.
  7. hollywood_72

hollywood_72 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bruno,

I'm not sure on South Branch yet, it will be a last minuet decision for me.

Kennedy

8. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:
    Cool, i hope you can make it.
  9. mykrrrr

mykrrrr advenposeur

Oddometer:
    :rofl Yeah I know but that's the only bike I've got and unless it's forecasting rain down there all weekend, I wanna ride.

Perhaps the 606's will negate some of the single vibes. :freaky

thx. I can now order my mounting kit. HOPEFULLY the rack gets here in time. :cry
  10. GooseR6

GooseR6 Ride the World!

Oddometer:
    I will be there. What is everyone doing? I plan to do the dual sport route on the DRZ. I have a little work to do on it though. I could be talked into taking the Weestrom though?

I did this last year and it was great!

Anyone know Jermery's handle? I want to know if I would need knobs on the wee.
  11. andywaddell

andywaddell 'tard bike king

Oddometer:
    The CHC dualsport route is definitely NOT a Weestrom ride; a DRZ is more appropriate. However, the ADV rides they're putting on the same weekend would be fine on a Weestrom, as long as you had decent gravel-road-type tires on it. The dualsport route will be too much for a Weestrom no matter what tires you have on it, IMHO.

Jeramey's DS routes, and especially at the CHC ride, are much more dirt oriented (meaning trail, rough seasonal road, and two track) than they are gravel road/forest road oriented. You can get in over your head in a hurry on a GLDS dualsport ride on an ADV-type bike. Some of the routes can be done on one (I did the Honor A loop on my KLR without much trouble), but many would have you wondering why the hell you were out HERE on THIS bike! <g> The CHC DS routes are notorious for being some of the most challenging of the year.
  12. GooseR6

GooseR6 Ride the World!

Oddometer:
    Yup, as I said I did the dual sport ride last year and it was great. If someone is doing the adventure bike ride I can be talked into that instead. I think I will need to get knobs for the Wee though.
    </g>
  13. andywaddell

andywaddell 'tard bike king

Oddometer:
    I really wish I was going to be around that weekend and I'd go with you and Bruno and do the ADV rides on my KLR (I'm fairly familiar with the area and we could throw in some "good stuff" on top of the ADV loops, too). However, I'm going to be on vacation w/my wife that weekend or I'd be there!!

Doesn't mean we can't go back and ride the loops later this year, though! A buddy of mine just got his ADV bike today (the new BMW GS800), so I'm sure we're gonna be doing some ADV riding!
  14. GooseR6

GooseR6 Ride the World!

Oddometer:
    Andy, we can still all do the Color Tour or the Toys for Kids Ride. I am hoping to get at least (2) more rides in this year (Chandler Hill being one of them). I have ridden the Day 2 routes of the Color Tour but was out of town last year so didn't do the actual event. I have ridden all of the St. Helen ORV routes so I am sure the Toys for Kids Ride will be nice also.

I haven't gotten the Wee on more than dirt roads. Riding the loops later would be good (No ORV, really sandy stuff or single track though). I am a little nervous getting into the 'tougher stuff' with the Wee but have to figure it out sooner or later.

What is the deal? Anyone doing these events this year? Chandler Hill, Color Tour, Toys for Kids?

The season is coming to a close....let's get out and ride!
  15. awschmidt

awschmidt ride-reckit-wrench-repeat

Oddometer:
    Is this also the venting thread? So far this year I've only been able to make one ccc kids ride with my daughter, no trail riding for me other than that. I was lucky that the ride for kids chairity ride happened to be on my first free half-day in a month so I made that. So now school has started and EVERY ride I see before 2009 I can't make. I know I shouldn't bitch too much, I do ride almost every day commuting on the dirt roads to and from work plus every errand I can take the panzer on. But my wanderlust and adventure glands are about to explode. Lord knows it's not the wonderful woman I married, she tells me to blow off housework and chores to go get muddy. I just can't seem to shake loose free time this year. I'll get an hours worth of muddy dirt road errand running in after I finish my punchlist at home today and that'll keep me sane. A ride to the u.p. or even a daylong trip to the trails is just eluding me so far this year. Is this what involuntary celibacy feels like???

Kevin
  16. motogearhead

motogearhead Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Howdy all!

I'm in the same boat as awschmidt, I've been lucky enough to use the Vstrom (Rhino) for work travel this summer (6K+ miles) and I did ride it at the Baldwin ADV ride but no opportinunities to get into the woods on the KTM...I need to change that!!

I'm definately riding the Vstrom (w/TKCs) at CHC on the 27/28. I may take the KTM to St Helen next week end for at least 1 day. I also plan to ride the KTM at the Color Tour. Randy
  17. GooseR6

GooseR6 Ride the World!

Oddometer:
    Hey Randy-

I can't remember, did you do the CHC adv ride with the V last year? I am assuming knobs are a must for the Wee/V? I guess I am just being cheap/lazy and should order them this week.

BTW: The skidplate fits great. Got a little bit of use for it on the trip to Maine.

Thanks-
    Mark

18. motogearhead

motogearhead Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Mark,

I didn't ride CHC last year but I've ridden that area enough to know that sand is a probability...it was on the adventure loop in Baldwin. I wouldn't want any part of it without knobs. I actually like the TKCs on the vstrom...even on the interstate...they just don't last long enough!

I'll be looking forward to hearing about that Maine trip! Randy
  19. awschmidt

awschmidt ride-reckit-wrench-repeat

Oddometer:
    How many miles are you guys getting out of tkcs on stroms? I'm getting about 3k out of the rear and 6k out of the front on the panzer.

Kevin
  20. PhilSpace

PhilSpace The Ex-Gov

Oddometer:
    If I may chime in, you guys have class. Baldy answered back and said there is really no easy way to restore the old thread, which is as I suspected.

You guys have carried on and kept it going, thats what fucking ADVRider is all about. :bow

Thanks for putting up with our occasional mistakes.