Carrying a knife into mexico / guatemala border crossings

Discussion in 'Americas' started by weatherm, Feb 4, 2011.

1. weatherm

weatherm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking about planning a trip to Mexico and Guatemala here sooner than later I hope. I always carry a knife with me for obvious reasons... I read in a DHS document that you can't take guns (duh!) but it didn't mention a knife. But googling I get mixed information. You can carry one on checked baggage on a airplane but you can't take one across a border?

Is this true or false... I know some of you epic travelers have knifes and overlanders carry knives on a basic scale at least as to prepare meals out the back of their defenders or whatnot.

I got a nice knife and would rather take than than pay 20 peso's for a dull bloody machete at the local market :lol3:lol3:lol3
  2. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yep - guns and/or ammo: never

Knives - not prohibited*

*Depending upon why type of official you encounter and his/her subjective mood, you may be sized up for a mordida. In other words, you'll be made to feel like you've done something "wrong" by possessing the knife, and it'll be up to your wits to get you our of the situation without paying the mordida.

That said, there is a high likelyhood that nobody will ever know you have a knife, unless it's in the bag that searched at any of the myriad of military checkpoints. And 99% of the time, it'll be the military that finds it, not law enforcement.

All this said, leave your silly knife at home. You won't need it in Mexico and it'll be more of a threat to yourself than a tool for defense. There's no point in carrying it and putting up with the worry that it will become an issue when stopped, and even if it remains hidden the whole trip, you're more likely to hit the powerball with my birthday numbers than you are going to need that blade.

If you go all armed up your attitude will reflect it in ways even you don't understand. Just relax, cross the border, and embark on your voyage of discovery. You can always come back here, arm up with your concealed carry permit, toss your knife in your bag, and put a can of pepper spray in your pocket.

Mexico is not tense. You can relax there. :deal
  3. weatherm

weatherm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks... just carry it for cooking and stuff. thanks for the info.. I'll leave the silly knife at the house. just wanted a definitive answer
  4. juangarza

juangarza Banned

Oddometer:
    I always carry my knife to Mexico. No problems. Can't help you with Guatemala.
  5. Baja Ho

Baja Ho Momentum is your friend

Oddometer:
    Central Coast, CA. USA & Cabo San Lucas, Baja Sur
    Not sure what the law states, but a year ago I was traveling Mex1 in Baja. I stopped at a Federale check point and they found a 6" pocket knife in my backpack. I told them it was for survival and they let me pass but I was traveling in my truck with my wife. :D
  6. Tricepilot

Tricepilot Bailando Con Las Estrellas Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cooking.....and camping for that matter:

There are a lot of fair questions about this and threads that answer it are everywhere here. The replies usually center around this: there is no point in carrying all that camping gear and cooking stuff, food and hotels are cheap and all over the place. Why cook in Mexico and Guatemala when you should be experiencing cuisine you can't get at home. Get your fill of pollo asado if you want to start simple and familiar, and then work your way into chapulines and tlayudas.

You want to bring a knife to carve an apple or cheeze or something, bring it in the form of something useful like a leatherman or multi-tool.
  7. cu260r6

cu260r6 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I carried a machete through every border to Argentina without a single question asked.
  8. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    In Guat there is a little used law called "Arma Blanco". It's selectively used & mostly for the street hood type. It is as though you have to be doing something quite improper while carring a knife, before you get "arma blanco" mentioned.

I have carried a blade in MX & will always will do so, it is relaxed & the police are useless & totally untrust worthy. Not saying they will not help at times, just do not trust them.

But back to Guat. Here I could carry a hand gun & blade. Never used either. All fire arms will require a special permit.

But there is that "knife law" yet all over the cities & country side you'll see men & women carring the machette. The country population in Guat I find to be very different. Even during the 39 year long civil unrest, it was the city & just out side, is where I saw the worst behavor.

In Guat now kidnaping is the fast & easy way to make $.
    Will not get into in now but alway park your bike nearly stripped or in eye sight & near by.

Act w/ conviction, don't move about as in La La Land.

MX is more concern for me that Guat.

Good luck
  9. Cal

Cal Long timer

Oddometer:
    I carry a swiss army knife...... for the sacacorchos, and of course for the tooth pick.
  10. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:
    Although I am not a Guru like some on the site when it comes to traveling in Mexico, I have carried mine into Mexico a few times and have never had an issue. If you carry one on a daily basis, then continue to carry it when traveling into Mexico. Some people think knives are silly and you'll hurt yourself with it :rolleyes, but for those that carry and actually use them, well we know different.
  11. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just tell them you use it for cutting limes or cheese or chorizo. No problem.
  12. Eduardo

Eduardo Eduardo

Oddometer:
    I always carry a pocket knife, and have so with all my trips to C.A., I'd be lost without it. Just put it in your pocket. I've never had to empty my pockets or been frisked at any border crossing or road side stop.

If there is anyone who recognizes a knife as a tool, it's Central Americans.

Saludos
  13. steingar

steingar higher life form

Oddometer:
    I got off the bus in Merida at 3 am not knowing anything. Had no trouble finding a posada and no one batted an eye.

I doubt anyone wants to bother tourists. They will try and pick your pocket, one of my traveling mates had his passport lifted. But violent crime has always been really rare in Mexico. I don't know about the Narcos, but I find it hard to believe they care about Gringos. The only thing I could see is them kidnapping you for ransom, and if they were doing that I think it would have hit the national news.

If a Narco in Mexico or an ex-freedom fighter in Guatemala tries to rob you, they'll be far better armed than you, so your knife won't do you any good but get you killed. I carried traveler's cheques. I never carried anything on an adventure that I'd miss if lost.

Do keep track of your bike, though, the kids there can strip one quicker than a pack of piranha. It shouldn't be too hard to find a quidaddor, someone (preferably heavily armed) to watch over it. When I was down there I was always able to find a soldier or bank guard or something.

Have fun. You're going to a land of high adventure. Like the boys said, relax and enjoy.
  14. Lone Rider

Lone Rider Registered User

Oddometer:
    Most people don't know that when a male child is born in Mexico, the Grand Papa gives him a knife.

A jogger on the backroads in America has his watch, Cell w/GPS, calorie monitor, heart monitor, and bottle of fortified water in a waist holster.

The working man on the backroads south of the border...has his machete.
  15. Dirtysouth

Dirtysouth Stud fee waived for noobs

Oddometer:

Although I'm in my early 30's, I consider myself old school in my way of thinking, which I attribute to the lessons of my Grandfather. I for one, would have a hard time trusting a man that doesn't carry a knife or thinks that they are dangerous.
  16. JALnSC

JALnSC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I always carry a geber tool and a gerber gator. Tool in pocket or belt sheath. Gator in bag treat them as tools not as weapons. Scuff them up give them wear as far a defense get yourself a tri fold shovel from an Army surplus. Sharpen and end and loose it up so you can get it out if needed. Keep it rough looking. With this setup you will have 3 usefull tools and most likley never need them for anything other than what they are intended.
    They are tool. If asked about by authorities the shovel is for poo holes.
  17. Arte

Arte Pata de Perro

Oddometer:

check on my knife I always carry

[​IMG]

the blade is 8.5". total length is 14".

just to double confirm, I asked to a check point soldier about it, and he said: no worries, we are looking for fire guns only.

don't know about the Quetzal land.

arte
  18. juangarza

juangarza Banned

Oddometer:

E-tool makes a good weapons when sharpened. Don't get a cheap import/copy, get the real deal.
  19. H96669

H96669 A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer:
    "Soy un coccinero" was my answer to any questionning of them large knives I carried in the Van. The Louisville Slugger was...."The Terminator", they understood, big billboards from that movie everywhere back in the late 80's. Always made them laugh, possibly the best way to get out of any situations down there.Or.....talking about girls.:wink:
  20. n16ht5

n16ht5 ride the night

Oddometer:
    same here.. well 20s. I don't go anywhere without atleast a 5" bl, flashlight, and leatherman, and usually my 10mm. just part of using your head and being prepared.
    I've crossed borders with my knife, just throw it in the airbox.