Rent/sale me your dual sport

Discussion in 'New Zealand' started by SpeedoJosh, Nov 8, 2012.

1. SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wondering if anyone here is interested in renting me their dual sport for a month, or selling me one of their dual sports. Looking for a 250-400cc bike. Let me know if you have anything. Need a runner, not a project.

:freaky
    -Josh
  2. Padmei

Padmei enamoured

Oddometer:
  3. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    If you find something on trademe around Rotorua that you would like checked out I'm happy to go & have a look at anything in my area for ya.

Cheers
    Clint
  4. MarKTM

MarKTM Wannabe ADV rider....Dakar Passionate!

Oddometer:
    I have a 2009 DR650 kitted out ready for adventure.
    I might be persuaded to rent it to you for the duration of your stay. PM me if you are interested.
    All ready to go, just need to register it and warrant it for the road mate. Just give me some details and we could work out something I am sure...
  5. SpeedoJosh

Oddometer:
    If I picked up a bike from TradeMe, what would be required to get it street legal for me?
    I've seen some say Road Cost Included, and other say Road Cost Excluded.

-Josh
  6. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you are looking at used bikes that have already got rego & WOF yer good to go...
    Look in the ADV / Duel purpose section of Trademe they should be already road legal / plated..
    If the rego is on hold thats no big issue... the rego can be made live again by a visit to any VTNZ
    testing station.. A new WOF prob will be required first .. most sellers will do that before yer buy it
    If they won't .. look at something ealse..

This section...
    http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/dual-purpose
  7. SpeedoJosh

Oddometer:
    I've been checking it frequently. If I was going to buy, I was looking for something around the 2000 range, so when I leave and have to sale for a 25% hit or so, it won't be so bad. Thinking a XR250 or similar 250 would be perfect. Use it for the month, ride in Dusty Butt, then sale for a $500 hit to move it fast, and I'm golden.

Someone with a 250 that just is kind of sitting, throw him $500 for the month, then return it back in same condition (damages, if any, I would obviously cover as well) would be a perfect candidate.

I have a XR250 and XR650 here. Thought about shipping one over for the month, but think that would be more then $500.
  8. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    The bike needs a current WOF (Warrant of Fitness, a simple safety check, valid for 6 or 12 months depending on age of the bike) and rego. At the time of sale, road-registered vehicles are supposed to have a WOF issued in the last 30 days (IIRC).

If the bike does not have those at the time of sale, you could be buying trouble that could take time and money to fix; both may be in short supply during your holiday. Bikes that have never been registered could be problematic to make road legal. I hear differing opinions on how easy that is to do. Lapsed but "live" registration is easy to fix, just open your wallet. Bikes without WOFs may have expensive repairs needed - otherwise why would the seller not do the repair and sell it with a WOF?? And if a bike is not quite up to legal WOF standard at purchase, then I would think twice about taking it on something like the Dusty Butt where you are going to be away from civilisation and stressing the bike somewhat with the sustained riding.

In NZ, you do not need a road-registered enduro bike to race enduros or ride in forests. As a result, most registerable enduros are not registered: either never have been, or it's lapsed and long dead, or it never was an on-road variant to start with. Also, we get what is known as "jap imports" or more fully USED Japanese imports. Many of those are Japanese domestic market-only bikes, never officially imported new to NZ or elsewhere. Some of them make great adventure bikes: Honda's XR250-based Baja, Suzuki's DR250-based Djebel, Yamaha's TT250-based RAID, Kawasaki ??? They have softer suspension, milder engine tune, lower seat height, tin tanks, big headlights, and carry racks all standard. They don't command the same sort of prices as the base enduro bikes. The DR-Z250 and TT-R250 are very similar to the XR250R, but with electric legs

I think you'll really struggle to find a full-monty XR250/XR400 road legal for $2000. When I looked a couple of years ago, they were either cheap and trashed and not registered, or they were registered and wanted silly money for them regardless of condition. The only reasonably-priced ones were well looked after unregistered ones.
  9. SpeedoJosh

Oddometer:
    Really, that's a bummer. Pretty easy find in the States. Bikes just worth more in NZ, or is the supply smaller?

-Josh
  10. bikemoto

bikemoto Tyre critic

Oddometer:
    Supply is much, much smaller and those bikes seem to have a reputation. As much as I think they are cool, to me they are old school fun that doesn't justify a premium price, in fact quite the opposite. Probably a common view given that many of the high-priced XR's were on the market for a long time.

To give you an idea of the market scale: creeper started a thread "for 2005 640 Adventure owners, all 200 or so"...in the USA, that is. There's only 2 in NZ.
  11. SpeedoJosh

Oddometer:
    I've seen a few Lifans on there, might have to go that route. Although I did spot a yamaha 250 around the $2000 range. Going to look a little farther into that one as well.

12. Pete-NZ

Pete-NZ Long timer

Oddometer:
  13. SpeedoJosh

Oddometer:
  14. SpeedoJosh

Oddometer:
    Pete, I'll buy the KLX or TTR, ride it for a month, then sell it to you for $500 less then I paid :deal
  15. ztaj

ztaj Jatz

Oddometer:
  16. jafar

jafar Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Waiuku, North Island, New Zealand.(godzone)
    this site may be of interest to you.http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/index.html

there a bit out there arn't they :eek1