Bradshaw Bombrun 2012

Discussion in 'West – California, the desert southwest & whatever' started by gearheart, Jan 9, 2012.

1. doubleoh7

doubleoh7 AKA Chief FallsAlot

Oddometer:
    Hey guys I will get with Gearheart and advise on dates :D
  2. K9SAR499

K9SAR499 I can make that!

Oddometer:
    Let me know how I can help out
  3. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    I rode Bradshaw all the way to the end yesterday then across the Colorado River, up the riverbank to the 10 then 15 to Wiley Well Rd, back up Bradshaw to Gas Line Road, back to to Chiriaco Summit.
    236 mile loop, it was freakin' awesome.
    Weather was crisp and clear as an be, Bradshaw and Wiley Well were both in excellent condition.
    Just perfect conditions for a ride.

Only one shady moment when we went head on with 3 buggies hauling ass the other way. Lucky me, I was in front. :eek1

:thumb
  4. jnyrav

jnyrav Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Red Canyon Trail is a really fun offshoot from the Bradshaw Trail, and runs from the main trail up to Chiriaco Summit...
  5. gearheart

gearheart Bombrun Lackey

Oddometer:
    Hmmmm, a Bombrun you say?

March is nice in the desert, what say you?

Maybe some ride'n 'round in the dirt, then wash it down with some roasted meat back at Headquarters?

OK, I'm in!

Mike Kern
  6. HazMatt

HazMatt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    just got the Alp running again (CDI issue).

March sounds good to me. I'm in if you guys will have me again :)
  7. gearheart

gearheart Bombrun Lackey

Oddometer:
    Right on!

For what it's worth, after all the years of exploring around the area, I stumbled across a long abandoned gold mine complex, practically right in our backyard. (well, it IS a rather big yard...) Bring your flashlights if you like that sort of madness. We were the first ones there in a LONG time.

Time for a 2013 Bombrun thread? And Kelly, thanks for the offer, I will be in touch.
  8. CA Stu

CA Stu Peace and Love

Oddometer:
    Darn tootin', that was the first section of our loop. :D

Then down to the KOA for a coffee, Slab City and off through the desert from there....
  9. K9SAR499

Oddometer:
    March works just not the 16th weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  10. BetaTrialsGuy

BetaTrialsGuy D i r t - Z a m b o n i

Oddometer:
    CA desert in Winter / Traveling in Summer
    D. B. Cooper checking in here! Just woke up from a long winter, hopped on the ADV site and found that the superb
    Nationally known Bradshaw Bomb Run will be held again!!! Zoweee! Since the Bomb Run is a "don't miss" event, I
    now have it on my calendar as "All of March." That way I can make it there regardless of what day in March comes
    out the winner of the date pool. (Try to skip the traditional March flash flood, please!)

My goal this year is to try and stay upright, and not make an ass out of myself again. I'm looking forward to the trip
    to the newly found Gold Mine. I lived at a gold mine in my infancy, in the mountains outside Anaconda, Montana. I
    have a "thing" about gold mines, but then I guess everybody does. Bring it ON!

I'll be staying at KOA, since my RV balks at any mention of the high speed road to the Gearhart Ranch!

Recently I rode up Fargo Canyon to Thermal Canyon to Churiaco Summit with my son, then back to Indio on the power
    line on the south side of I-10, and the ridge route paralleling the Freeway Loop. Rain storms have decimated some of
    the trails in that area. We did about 73 miles round trip.

Looking forward to a rousing week-end without bodily injury!

D.B. Cooper
    Over & Out
  11. jdbski

jdbski old but getting younger

Oddometer:
    Newbie to the desert, but I would love to make the bomb run 2013. Does anyone have gps tracks of previous runs? I would like to check it out on my maps.

Thanks,
    Jb
  12. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    Flashlight? At ~$1700/oz, I'll make a pick axe mount for the bike! Hope I can make it this year.
  13. gearheart

gearheart Bombrun Lackey

Oddometer:
    It's good to hear everybody chiming in about the next Bombrun!

How about March 23-24 in 2013 of course!

Open to anybody who likes riding/camping/eating/hanging out at the campfire

Ramjet, It's been too long! Bring the pick-axe setup, we just need dump-bed and loader attachments for a couple more bikes!

DB Cooper, Did you take Thermal Canyon all the way to the freeway or is that a loop from Berdoo Canyon? (and see you there buddy!)

JB, welcome. I don't really have any GPS tracks but you can find the Bradshaw Trail pretty easily and we have some other destinations around too. Come on out and we'll show 'em to you.

Kelly, thinking about carne asada again this year. (ok, in all fairness I am always thinking about carne asada!) Maybe we can get a list going of misc fixens or desert or paper plates/napkins/plastic ware or other? Let me know what you think.

Working on stickers, Doubleoh7 updated the date on the Bombrun graphic. You guys think black stickers with new date or maybe same graphic but in red/white or what? let me know SOON.

Mike Kern
  14. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
  15. K9SAR499

Oddometer:
    Yes on the same graphic for sure.

That weekend works perfect

Ok on Asada but how about each person bring a special dish and have a camping pot luck and see who can out do the other.
  16. gearheart

gearheart Bombrun Lackey

Oddometer:
    Crawdaddy, I think we could work something out. It sounds like more riding options to me. :D

For what it's worth, in the past I have been approached to bring in vendors, advertise on all the dirt forums, make profit selling food/shirts/photos and make this a huge event but I just prefer the friendly campfire atmosphere that we have always enjoyed at the Bombruns past. Just a group of friends, some new, some old. So it will probably never be a "big event." (despite what DB COOPER claims!)

That being said, if any C.O.R.E. guys want to stop in, eat some fire grilled carne asada and hang out at our campfire after a Saturday on the trail and talk bikes, you are welcome. (just let us know so we can have enough food!)(we already have enough firewood!!!) We are exactly 2 miles farther North on the canal road past Bashfords.

Kelly, if we get a count of who wants dinner Saturday, I'll bring carne asada. Tell me more about this camping pot luck shoot out idea of yours. Sounds promising!

Mike Kern
  17. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Navigate 2 Adventure

Oddometer:
    I didn't realize you were so close to the Glamis North Hot Springs Resort (formerly the KOA)......good to know, I'll likely be locked up with the fundraiser on Sat but perhaps I'll catch ya on a future trip to the area ....

I hear ya on volume......most of my rides are <40 folks.......more intimate experience.......I'm shooting for as many as I can get on this one (plated AND non plated bikes/quads/side by sides) because it's about raising money for Children's cancer research.......the riding is just an added bonus......

I'll be sending them clockwise towards the Bat Caves, Oasis, Meccacopia, Joshua Tree, the summit, Red Canyon, Amy's, back to the resort......not sure what your destination is.......just wanted to let you know where my folks will be so we all keep a heads up for one another....

New wrinkle for the 2nd annual CORE 4 Kids fundraiser..........working details for a Friday "Training Clinic" with Gary LaPlante of Motoventures........ADV "bomb run" folks would be welcome to come over a day early and receive training from the man who wrote the book......literally [​IMG] : http://www.motoventures.com/motoventures-training

I'll keep you posted....
  18. K9SAR499

Oddometer:
    Motoventures are a great group that helps out with a Day in the dirt we sponser. If you are looking for a little help on something or just want some tips its worth it.

I was thinking of a some kind of snack contest say Nachos to hard boiled eggs

Winner gets gets a bottle of something that needs to shared at the fire.

New wrinkle for the 2nd annual CORE 4 Kids fundraiser..........working details for a Friday "Training Clinic" with Gary LaPlante of Motoventures........ADV "bomb run" folks would be welcome to come over a day early and receive training from the man who wrote the book......literally [​IMG] : http://www.motoventures.com/motoventures-training

I'll keep you posted....[/QUOTE]
  19. BetaTrialsGuy

BetaTrialsGuy D i r t - Z a m b o n i

Oddometer:
    CA desert in Winter / Traveling in Summer
    In answer to Mike/s question:

Thermal Canyon can be accessed from either south of I-10, or north of I-10, due to the fact that there's a bridge over the canyon as it flows down to the Coachella Valley.

After riding Thermal Canyon North, there is an opportunity to use a trail east to link with Pinkham Canyon, or another link west to Rockhouse Canyon, where you can continue north to the top of Berdoo Canyon, or south to Fargo Canyon, which empties near Indio.

Looking forward to The Bomb Run!

20. gearheart

gearheart Bombrun Lackey

Oddometer:
    Me Too. See you guys soon!