BMW R65 ignition control mounting?

Discussion in 'Old's Cool' started by MZRider, Sep 8, 2011.

1. MZRider

MZRider Neo-Luddite

Oddometer:
    I'm working on an '82 R65 that has the larger upgraded ignition control unit as shown in the diagram below:
    [​IMG]

It was zip-tied to the frame with a chunk of rubber between it and the frame. So, I bought the correct mounting bracket as shown but can't figure out where it mounts to. There are two places with screw holes with the same center-to-center measurement, but neither positions it so that the plug doesn't interfere with the frame or main harness.

[​IMG]

Has anyone run into this before? Where does the bracket mount? Do I need to drill holes in a frame tube to mount it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. Airhead Wrangler

Airhead Wrangler Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    it mounts vertically on the flat plate just aft of the voltage regulator (the shiny box with red tape on it. Or maybe it's the one in front of the regulator. I can't remember and I don't have that ignition system anymore. It's one of those two and it definitely is oriented vertically.
  3. MZRider

MZRider Neo-Luddite

Oddometer:
    Won't fit either place - believe me, I've tried. Aft of the v/r the control unit's plug hits the frame, there's not enough harness length to turn it so the plug faces the outside and a relay socket mounts there. Forward of the v/r (where the original ignition unit mounted) there's not enough room either (hits the underside of the tank).
  4. Wirespokes

Wirespokes Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer:
    I believe mine mounts aft of the voltage regulator. But the mount doesn't look anything like you've pictured. Mine is an aluminum L shaped piece and the control unit mounts horizontally.

You might have better luck posing your question on the R65 Forum.

http://www.bmwr65.org/
  5. MZRider

MZRider Neo-Luddite

Oddometer:
    Decided to stop wasting time trying to figure out the BMW bracket and just made my own out of a piece of stainless steel I had. Just like yours, it's L shaped and mounts the control unit horizontal just aft of the coil.

Thanks for the link to the R65 forum, didn't know such a thing existed.