Hawai'i

Discussion in 'Regional Forums' started by Dirty Barber, Oct 18, 2008.

1. Southest US Thumper

Southest US Thumper Extreme n00b

Oddometer:
    That should do it for starters. It'd be possible to do a link up ride for Nov, meet down towards south point or closer to Kona then ride the rest of the loop. Let me know if you don't get any feedback.
  2. hiADV

hiADV Island Explorer

Oddometer:
    Right on, I'd love to meet up and get in some seat time. I emailed those guys but no response yet... I do understand island time so no real surprise there. The bikes should be there early November. Thanks for helping out, I look forward to meeting and riding with all you guys!
  3. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    I've asked a friend to contact/post/PM you in regards to the DS Ride, if nothing else, Big Island Power Sports is at 961-3033, anybody there should know da scoop.
  4. Gasser

Gasser Control crash rider

Oddometer:
    Yo Brudda's...sorry for being late with the Lava Butt 400 dualsport ride info, I've been running on off road Hawaiian time grinding down knobby's in the lava flows before the world ends at any moment because of man's stupidity beyond logic...never forget Fukushima Dieichi.

November 23rd; be at Big Island Power Sports @ 0:600 hr, we will be leaving @ 0:700 sharp to get an early start because the day's are shorter this time of year.

Steve Lau said he has reservations for 15 or more rooms if needed at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in Kona, call 808-961-3033 ask for Wayne for conformation.
  5. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    Gasser -

Thanks for the update! I should be home by 18 November, I'll need a safety inspection and probably ought to swap the Trial tire for a 606 not sure how I'm going to convince the wife that I need to be gone the first weekend back though.....
  6. Andyinhilo

Andyinhilo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Here I sit hunkered down in my office in Hilo outside the inundation zone awaiting 2228 hours when the latest tsunami is due to strike Hawaii. Predicted that Maui and The Big Island with get waves of 5'. The sirens just went off, and all is clear (supposedly) in the coastal areas in our jurisdiction.............
  7. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    You guys already got the All Clear????

Looks like we dodged the bullet, I'll be back in Hilo 16 Nov, I'm going to have to catch up with the guys at DOCARE. Have a good evening!
  8. Birdmove

Birdmove Long timer

Oddometer:
    I didn't hear about the big waves until about 9:00 last night. I was a tournament director and player at our Saturday chess club in Pahoa. Then we took our grandaughter to a halloween even it Pahoa, then to Kaleos for dinner. We were going to gas up my daughter's car on the way home and found lineups that looked like I'd been beamed back into the oil embargo of about 1972. Huge lineup. Bagged the gasup and flipped the radio on and heard about the tsunami. We were fine at our place in HPP as we are on 23rd.

Hope there was no damage in Hilo. Love that town.

Jon
  9. Andyinhilo

Andyinhilo Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well the warning was cancelled at 0200. My observations showed that it was not as bad as the last one. High water indications were lower, and visible surge was way less. We did have a couple of boats that took some damage. There was not enough time for some owners to respond and either haul out boats or depart the harbor, as a result a couple of them parted moorings and hit the dock.

The advisory was cancelled at 0500, and the beach parks were finally opened at 1100.

All is back to normal now.
  10. stan.riner

stan.riner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I live on a big hill (Makakilo) so our place was fine. My friend asked to take him down to get his work truck as it was on the edge of the inundation zone. I packed him on my DRZ so I could cut through traffic to get back home. Lucky I did because it was bumper to bumper for miles. It was kind of fun going down the side of everyone. I even had to hop some curbs!
  11. motogon

motogon Like wind

Oddometer:
  12. bensgone

bensgone Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ted's bakery is on the radar for today!
  13. AllBlackPearl

AllBlackPearl I'm normal.

Oddometer:
    Sounds good!!
    Pretty expensive, but I guess I'll also rent a Strom when I'm on Maui mid December. You think that ride you took is the best to do, if you only have one day?
    Oh, and do they also rent gear? I'll not be able to take anything with me....
  14. motogon

motogon Like wind

Oddometer:
    I did before eastern Maui loop (Hana) but I like my yesterday road better.
    They don't have any gear, only POS helmets.
  15. hiADV

hiADV Island Explorer

Oddometer:
    Hey Gasser, thanks for the info. I think I might roll out to BIPS this weekend to meet the guys and get the skinny on the ride, I'd like to join for sure. I have a place here in South Kona with a spare room and extra floor space if needed. Trying to decide between taking the DR 650 or KLX 250... whatcha think?
  16. Gasser

Oddometer:
    Some sections are a'a' lava rock rough...I recommend the 250...also if you can, just break one side of the bead on F/R tires and pour in a good amount of baby powder then bounce the deflated tire 15+ times to make sure the powder gets well distributed...make sure to use the talc compound powder...this will lube the tube (old MK200 trick) to keep it from getting square edge rock pinched...12-15psi will do the job...there will be a chase truck that you can toss in whatever you think you will need for the Lava Butt 400 that will finish at Steve Lau's house with a "benchracers BBQ"...do bring a camera or vid unit...see you the 23rd at BIPS for good fun ride times. ~Go faster than the crash~
  17. AllBlackPearl

AllBlackPearl I'm normal.

Oddometer:
    Wow, that looks fricken AWESOME. Thanks for the info, mate!
    Pitty they don't rent any gear. I could take my gloves and ride in long pants and my hiking boots... But I'd hate to ride without at least a proper jacket. What das POS stand for...?
    Any idea where I could get motorcycle gear for a day or so?
  18. Gasser

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
    I'm a Bad Ass MF 10 mile Dualsport Rock & Roll challenge trail...$1000 entry fee winner takes all...cut off is 20 riders...No whiners.....who's in?

Hawaiian Aloha shirt, surfer shorts, and slaps are the required riding gear...helmet optional.

Event will be held at night...headlight and turn signals must be working at the finish line...automatic DQ for stubbed bleeding toe's.
  19. motogon

motogon Like wind

Oddometer:
    POS - Piece Of Shit :lol3
  20. Southest US Thumper

Oddometer:
    Did part of day one of the Lava Butt DS Ride, 17 riders showed up, six from Oahu, various Betas, KTMs, Yamahas, Hondas, and a couple of Huskys, 200 2T to 650 4T in displacement. The Puna section was shortened a bit from the 2010 version but that was all I had time to ride, just as we got to the fun stuff it started dumping rain so I didn't get much in images. Plan to leave home shortly to head up the coast to ride the Hawi and Hamakua sections, there was a sprinkling of snow on Mauna Kea yesterday and after yesterdays storms I imagine there could be much more so that's a potential detour.

Downed tree on beach road:

[​IMG]