Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Moto Supreme...it's just some farmers very hilly land that he turn into off-road park. Free and open to everyone too. He takes care of the trails just as a hobby since he retired. Pretty cool place.
  2. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:

That's what I do on turns that require lots of lean angle or have a high inside like an off-camber. Battlesburg has a lot of these turns
  3. vivid dadas

vivid dadas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was very surprised to see the Moto GP guys occasionally touch a foot down, seems like it was usually on very hard acceleration coming out of slow corners. The deal seemed to be the Moto GP bikes are just so squirrelly in some situations, that they just need to right the ship. I can't remember for sure but it seems to me like it was usually the outside foot, (right hand turn, left foot touches.)
  4. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    I've seen the Doctor do that a lot...
  5. z@ch

z@ch Turn it up to eleven

Oddometer:
    The GP guys do it coming into a turn. Puts more weight on the front wheel and also distracts any riders thinking about an inside pass.
  6. mgorman

Oddometer:
    If you watch those GP guys, they are even using their right braking foot and using 100% front brake unless there is a splitter in the line some place.
  7. Rich B

Rich B Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you want to really learn to slide a bike....need to try riding on ice. Loose pea gravel is the next best choice IMO.

Since this applies to flat track style riding...probably doesn't apply to anything else :eek1

When you carry enough speed into a corner, you want the bike to go into a 2 wheel drift. Some of the Moto GP and superbike guys are doing that on asphalt :evil

As the bike goes into a 2 wheel drift, lean into the corner - a lot, use the outside leg to push down on the peg, inside leg needs to be planted firmly, and lift up on the inside bar as you turn on the power. You should be in a full slide at that point. As speed scrubs off, lifting up on the inside bar will get the front wheel to start to bite again. When you get it right, for a brief period, your inside leg and inside arm will be doing A LOT of work. As the front tire starts to bite and the power at the rear starts to hook up again, you will feel the weight on your inside leg drop off.....time to put it back on the peg and keep dialing on power......

If you are carrying enough speed through a corner....as the rear starts driving, you can actually get to a point where the front wheel is not in contact with the ground, both feet are up, and the bike is still a bit sideways. About as much fun as you can have on a motorcycle and DAMN hard to get to that point skill wise. But it is worth it :D

If you spend a day riding on ice/pea gravel and practicing your slides.....when you are done, your left leg and arm will be sore.....

Just describing a good slide makes me miss that type of riding......been a while...damn :cry
  8. mgorman

Oddometer:

Did that to a kid Sunday while passing him on the inside, freaked him out enough he swerved off and slowed. I guess i was crowding his space.
  9. ScienceOfDirt

ScienceOfDirt U-Boat Rider

Oddometer:
    I miss drifting too. We used to go on a horse racetrack (Ascot). That soft dirt was the best thing to fall in.
  10. GailCallsMeKarl

GailCallsMeKarl Squirrel w/ no nuts Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I think I've reached maximum frustration with my current stable. The CRF is going to be ridiculously expensive to get a front wheel/tire combo for and she's still HEAVY. For now, it will be the road bike, but I'm betting I sell it before fall.

Any opinions on the XT225? I've only talked to raving fans. I'm looking for the downside to this bike. Obviously I will most likely want something more at some point, but I want something I can ride at Tar Hollow, Wayne, Danville and enjoy myself. The TTR, even if by some miracle I get it titled & road legal, is still just a 125 and I'm only going to want to trailer it places.

I need something I can actually ride somewhere to play. I found a cheap one for $1200 with only 1800 miles on it on CL.

In case you wondered:

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="299"><colgroup><col style="mso-width-source:userset;mso-width-alt:3913;width:80pt" width="107"> <col style="width:48pt" span="3" width="64"> </colgroup><tbody><tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt;width:80pt" height="20" width="107">
    </td> <td class="xl63" style="width:48pt" width="64">TTR125</td> <td class="xl63" style="width:48pt" width="64">XT225</td> <td class="xl63" style="width:48pt" width="64">CRF230</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Seat Height</td> <td align="right">31.7</td> <td align="right">31.9</td> <td align="right">31.7</td> </tr> <tr style="height:15.0pt" height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt" height="20">Weight</td> <td align="right">172</td> <td align="right">238</td> <td align="right">276</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

KTM 250 XCF weighs in at just 220. Seat height of over 38". :huh One other RFS has lowered hers 4". I might be able to pull that off eventually.

Or we need to stuff some motor in a TTR frame......

I think I'm going to start a company that sells serious, tiny trail bikes for girls and they won't be f'ing pink. (that's my other bitch for the day, finding MX pants that aren't pink or flowery.....really? really??)

sorry, I'm cranky today. I quit facebook and I've got to rant to somebody. :D
  11. blackdiamondmike

blackdiamondmike Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Buildit had one a couple years ago that was in great shape that I think he sold for about that amount. He could probable advise you. 238 pounds sounds a little low, I'd be suprised if that number isn't overly optimistic and the actual weight wasn't closer to that of the crf230l. I'd say buy one if you can swing it and try it out. You could even take an electric carving knife to the foam seat and shave an inch or two from the seat height. -Mike

Edit: You may also be able to loosen the triple clamp and slide the forks up a bit to lower the xt225.
  12. Mikef5000

Mikef5000 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Just a quick pic for GCMK while I get some blood back in my hands:
    [​IMG]

On my way north for here:
    [​IMG]

No time for a real update though, that'll come Sunday night when I'm home.

Oh, and sorry, I know it's late, but if you haven't figured it out yet, you can follow me here:
    http://mikef5000.whereamiriding.com
  13. SCQTT

SCQTT Zwei Kolben

Oddometer:

Nice,

I'm jealous.....the ride & THAT BEAST!
  14. alansz400

alansz400 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Nice meeting you today Steve. Did you manage to dodge the rain? I went to Mt. Hope for a chicken diner and got rained on pretty good just south of town. That was the only rain but the roads were wet most of the way home.
  15. GailCallsMeKarl

GailCallsMeKarl Squirrel w/ no nuts Supporter

Oddometer:
    :clap:clap:clap:clap NICE!!!!!!
  16. dox

dox How much for the ape?

Oddometer:
    Hope mrs. dox doesn't mind me greasing the KLR's swingarm bearings on the dining room table. :norton

[​IMG]

Fortunately, she's out of town. :1drink
  17. steveb126

steveb126 Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer:
    That was cool, my run of not actually meeting anyone (knowingly) from ADV is now broken. I met Solace while tagging his workplace (too funny) but we didn't know it, passed Gonzo when he bruced me last Saturday, and passed scion a few weeks ago when he was in Wooster to grab a tag. Yes we dodged the rain, stopped in Warsaw for ice cream. Mrs Yoder's Kitchen in Mt Hope ? I knew I recognized your bike, kinda figured we'd cross paths as you're probably the closest active inmate. We would've hung out but the lovely lady is working tonight at midnight.
  18. steveb126

steveb126 Adventurer Anonymous

Oddometer:
    thanks for your 2 cents also. Just changed my rear :huh -very bald. Currently running a set of used tourances I got cheap. Sign me up for the frugal and intellectually challenged club. That is higher mileage than some, going to order a set in the next month or so.

Speaking of bald rears:
    People not of the "untweezed taint" type would be hairy butts ? bald butts I'm guessing.
  19. motodirtlover

motodirtlover Motodirtlover

Oddometer:
    How about a KDX 200, or KTM200?
    The KDX is super easy to ride, easy to lower, will run forever, and nimble in the woods. As long as it is jetted right, one lazy kick, and they fire right up. Easy to get a plate for in Ohio....just not a great "road" bike. Fine for gravel every so often.
    The KTM200s can be set-up to be mild or wild ( powervalve setting), and are simple to lower as well.
    I ride my 300 ktm sometimes on gravel roads, I just throw a few 3oz bottles of 2T oil in my backpack for fuel stops.
  20. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    I got out last night and did some trail riding. I just finished the video. You're going to love it. :D

You'll probably think I'm nuts for sure or have a death wish. ;)

It starting pouring down rain too while I was out in the middle of the woods. I cut that part out since it's hard to see with water droplets on the camera lens. ;)