Husaberg 70 Degree Owners Thread!

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by KayaKTM, Nov 22, 2010.

1. goatdog

goatdog PTO

Oddometer:
    My FE 570 left me high and dry yesterday and I am looking for some thoughts to diagnose before bring into the dealer.
    I had a 70 degree tank installed a couple of weeks ago and the bike did a solid 180 mile day of riding after with no issues. I came home cleaned the bike as shinny as I could getting ready for the next big outing.
    New Years Eve I had plans of doing a ride in the next morning so I fill the tank and head into the house to get my gear ready. I smelt fuel coming from the garage so I look around and fuel is weeping from the rear tank a little when it’s on the side stand so I chalk it up to filling it to full.
    The next morning I load up and drive out to the meeting spot about 60 miles from home. Still a little fuel smell but the bike starts and runs fine. We take off and do about 10 miles of road and 45 of dirt when we stop everything is good except that my spark arrestor is loose (I lost one on the ride before) I tighten it and we take off.
    After about another 4 miles (if that) I start loosing power and the bike starts surging and more power loss. I pull over to see whats up but see nothing out of the ordinary except my spark arrestor is gone (again) . It will start for about 5 seconds and die, again and again. I check the breather lines of both tanks and they are good, the plug seams fine as it sparks and starts fine. I add about a ½ gallon of fuel to see if the rear tank is not getting fuel to the main but the main has plenty of fuel.
    I take off and try the other mapping with the switch but after about 2 more miles I pull over as the bike is done. The end cap on the exhaust it warm and getting dis-colored meaning the bike is running lean. Another rider comes back and helps out and we take the fuel filter out of the tank and check some other things but it is a no go. I ended up having to get towed back 35 miles to town and now the bike is in the garage.
    <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
    I have read of some fuel pump issues but nothing specific on the 09 FE 570, could this be the problem?
  2. chief_lee_visceral

chief_lee_visceral Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Goat,

I think your injector is clogged. Remove and soak in carb cleaner or what have you. Compressed air?

The leaking of the sub tank is addressed back in this thread.. The top screw in plug on the sub tank needs thread tape.
  3. Renazco

Renazco Formerly AKA Boejangles

Oddometer:
    After replacing my injector I took a photo to illustrate the difference between an injector orifice size and standard carb jets.
    The comparison in orifice is obvious which creates a concern in keeping your system clean, specifically ethanol stabilizer.

[​IMG]

The injector orifice is smaller thus more fuel efficient but more susceptible to clogging faster.
    I now carry a spare, just in case.
    As long as your using the newer fuel pump with the brown electrode cover, you should be fine.
    Some dealers still have old stock and sell you the white colored so examine it before purchase.
  4. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    My friends brand new leftover 2010 fx450 is at the dealer right now waiting for an injector.
  5. GAS GUY

GAS GUY MILE EATER

Oddometer:
    Those jets in the picture are not a good comparison.You need to see the small orifice of the pilot jet which is what plugs up, and I don't think you could photograph that.
  6. crankshaft

crankshaft Guns are for pussies

Oddometer:
    Few more lame as video's of me riding like an old lady:loll

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="425" height="240" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1656424237_BpRNKc3?width=425&height=240"></iframe>

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="425" height="240" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1656423936_45ss7ZQ?width=425&height=240"></iframe>

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="425" height="240" src="https://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/1656420602_JcNRs8f?width=425&height=240"></iframe>

These are from the spring of last year at a buddies house on our single track trails.
  7. Indy Unlimited

Indy Unlimited Long timer

Oddometer:
    If you run Seafoam 1 oz per gallon in you fuel your injectors will stay clean.
    Seafoam is basically isopropanol and penetrating oil. Prevents ethanol and water from forming an acid that eats the aluminum fuel pumps and clogs the injectors with aluminum oxide particles that are too small to be filtered.
    BMW F800GS has the same small orifices on their injector heads.
    I replaced the stock injectors with less than 1000 miles on my BMW and since have added 24,000 miles with Seafoam at every fill up. No Issues. Berg is also doing great on the Seafoam diet with over 2,000. miles
  8. error cooled

error cooled anything but asphalt

Oddometer:
    High Five - I gotta ask about your thoughts on the FE390 as a potential WR250R replacement. I have owned my WRR for 3 years now and while I am fond of the bike I have been yearning for something lighter and with more torque. The FE390 seems to hit a sweet spot and I am wondering how It would do as a smaller ADV bike with a decent amount of pavement weaved in. I travel with a a Giant Loop so storage is of no issue.

I can handle the increased service intervals but I wonder about how realistic it would be to replace my WRR. My typical day ride is 1-200 miles, 50% Pavement, 30% Gravel and 20% Primitive 2 Tracks / Moderate Trail.

Any thoughts?
  9. Tarheel Wheeler

Tarheel Wheeler Long timer

Oddometer:
    Love my 2 FE 450s Error Cooled!
  10. ChR1s

ChR1s Spherical Bastard

Oddometer:
    While you're awaiting a reply from HF...

I've not ridden a WRR but I have dual-sported my FE (made road-legal with various KTM/Husaberg parts) for the past 600+ miles in New England woods on D606s. The bike feels very much like a dirtbike when on pavement, not a dual-sport bike. The seat is brutal while on pavement. The tranny is kinda tight for pavement duty, and there's already a bit of a gap between 2nd & 3rd gear (which I only notice when riding a long uphill). Speeds above 40 mph would be well served by balanced wheels (probably need another rim lock on the front), but it's otherwise capable of keeping up with most traffic.

The 390's powerplant is an absolute gem, with seamless power that's easy to manage and tough to get out of shape with (compared to a 450). The heft of the bike isn't light, but it handles lightly. I don't think you'll get on it and think, "WOW! This thing's light!" But the motor is something you can end up not thinking much about at all -- it's always "there," so you don't need to. Regular maintenance is straightforward, and easy enough to access (oil change, valve inspection).

If you're the type of rider that's keen on skimming the tops of whoops, the 390 may not be the bike for you, as the moderate power and soft suspension do not make that an easy task. If you want power that's always "there" but don't want any unexpected thrust, the 390 may be the bike for you. I downsized from a Husky 450 to the FE390, and am extremely happy with it off-road. I can tolerate it on pavement. I do miss the 450 power at times, but I don't miss it MUCH more often. The 390 is more of a mountain goat than a gazelle, so it makes the gnarly stuff a lot more fun. And we've got plenty of that stuff around here.

2012-01-02_1 (1280x720).jpg
  11. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    Uhm....yeah....one pressing thought which is causing me some degree of concern and emotional distress: R² may be in trouble. [​IMG]

This FE390 is a better dualsport than I even imagined it would be. :deal Shockingly good on the road and slab. I've run 65 - 70 mph very comfortably with no vibration or shimmy.....on the stock Bridgestone MX tires it came with, no less! And, its not even straining the motor at that....6th gear is quite tall. I've not tested her upper limits yet, but there's a lot more throttle left to twist and plenty of rpm to climb yet.

In the woods, it makes the hard stuff seem....well....not so hard really. Feels like cheating to me. Its kind of like riding a Trials bike with big power and plenty of comfort. Silky smooth motor with flawless FI metering, wonderful suspension, and very stable handling. I'm climbing over rocks and logs forgetting I'm not on a trials bike....which is bound to get me in a pickle soon.

I've also noticed I don't get very fatigued while riding it....don't wake up sore the next day, like I would after a full day of hard riding the WRR in the rough. I think I've taken my WRR beyond where it was intended to go. And, she has performed admirably, all things considered (including its 300 lbs). In comparison, this FE390 is an absolute dream. Please don't wake me up. [​IMG]

Its pure joy on the forest roads and two-track, while letting me explore much more single track than I cared to before. And, that is leading me to new discovers in my own backyard like this (just yesterday).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We basically rode right up the rocky creek until we dead-ended in this bowl. It would have been too challenging on the WRR to make it worthwhile...much more difficult than what you see around the bikes in photo. But it was actually quite manageable on the 390, and totally worth any extra sweat (which was slight at best).

She's a really good climber too. Got me up to this Buzzard Roost in short order:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes, we have some nice mountains in Okiehoma too. But don't come here.....the Natives will scalp every third alien visitor, and the 2nd one "just left".

If you want to primarily ride in a localized manner and never fear the terrain, BUY the FE390 :deal

If you want to adventure across the country long distances just winging it with no particular schedule or destination, KEEP the WRR. The Berg does NOT have a 400 watt alternator like the WRR. So, it won't be running any heated gear for you. That is a primary advantage of the WRR, for certain....along with less maintenance over the long haul.

By the way, this 390 gets very good fuel mileage. Doesn't seem to drink much gas at all. I haven't measured it, but guessing I'm 40+ mpg, maybe higher.

I recently finished wiring up all the street lights. Took some figuring out (without any instructions), but all the connectors were there to plug-n-play the wiring harness. Just takes some patience while digging around. Or, let the dealer do it for you. Its very cool that its already pre-wired for it from the factory.

Go for it...

HF :thumbup

p.s. I did encounter my first major problem while on said Buzzard Roost at the very spot in photo above. Bike would not restart....nothing....nada....nilch when I pushed the button. I soon isolated the problem to a bad Starter Relay. It would click once then fail to energize the contact. I tried unsuccessfully push starting the bike. That's certainly a greater challenge than I anticipated.....something you better practice at home, then have a Plan B. I was finally able to get it fired up by shorting across the Relay terminal with my pocket knife blade. Harsh on the system, I know, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

Anybody else have this problem on their Husaberg? Probably a whole Thread about it that I'm not even aware. :lol3
  12. HighFive

HighFive Never Tap-Out

Oddometer:
    If I had to pick one word descriptor of the FE390 it would be: effortless

It still takes a Rider, mind you, making proper decisions and inputs. While she is quite forgiving, she's not a cure for "stupid". So, let's keep it in perspective.

The feeling in motion is effortless. I don't really feel the weight of the machine. Its a rather fascinating sensation which I've not experienced on other machines.

Now then, she is a tall bike. You need to be comfortable riding a tall bike. I have a 32" inseam and am comfortable on it. I don't need to be flat footed on the ground paddling thru the rocks. This pony responds much better to rider inputs while the feet are on the pegs. It doesn't like walking thru rubble. It much prefers riding thru it.....effortlessly.

My bike came off the showroom floor a little too lean for my taste. Weird because it was still silky smooth.....lean usually produces a snatchy take-off. But, it had a tendency to wheez or flame-out when charging into a corner and chopping off the throttle, then hammering back on. However, the Cyborg set me up with a big-time fix. :clap A dealer remapped the ECU with the FX450 competition fuel map and Ho-Chi-Momma is it ever running PERFECT now. That there is the best improvement to the bike you could probably ever make.....and a necessary one at that.

The Seat....surprisingly I like it. I keep thinking it too hard, but my butt isn't getting uncomfortable on that thing, even after a full day of riding. But I do prefer to wear LD Comfort shorts (underwear) which may help a bunch. No padding in the shorts, but also no seams to be sitting on with pressure. Fantastic product....all the LD Comfort wear. So, I'm not going rush out for a new seat, just yet. The stocker seams to fit me and work well enough.

HF :thumbup
  13. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    Other than the lower wattage output, it seems you enjoy the 'Berg more than the WRR. That's good news!
    Can the wattage be increased, i.e. the stator rewound or replaced?
    Also, what about the 'Berg's carrying capacity? Without a metal subframe, are there any aftermarket frames available to add saddle bags? And is the stock bike capable of carrying Giant Loop's Great Basin (for long trips) on the plastic subframe?

ktm950se
  14. Tarheel Wheeler

Oddometer:
    +1! Well said HF, although I haven't seen the lean conditions outta my FEs. Buddy of mine had a loose starter relay terminal, I think, but have not heard of your specific issue.

Stator upgrades are easy. Plenty of guys riding Bergs with GL Coyotes on back and tank bags. I would think if you can put a 70 degree subframe tank and the weight associated with the extra fuel, you should be able to run a Great Basin.

I've set 1 of my FEs up with a 13/48 combo. With balanced wheels (necessity imho) she will run 70-80 all day long. With a little wind protection and extra fuel, the Berg would make a fine adventure bike. As far as maintenance...no valve adjustments req'd at 30+ hours on 2010 FE 450 or 40+ hours on 2011.

I will tell you that the closed cartridge forks on the 2011 and later are far superior to the open cartridge on the 09 and 10s.

Ride the BLUE wave and enjoy life.
  15. error cooled

error cooled anything but asphalt

Oddometer:
    HF and Company -

I appreciate you taking the time to thoughtfully lay out your views of the bike. I am damn near sold.....

I wish I had the time to wander aimlessly around but my riding is localized and based out of my Land Cruiser and a trailer. I have racked up less than 5K miles on the WRR in 3 years. Usually via a half dozen trips in the summer where I rack up between 100 and 300 miles exploring the local National Forests. I also have taken longer trailered trips to Moab and Colorado. I have never tried heated accessories so I am not too worried about that.

Now its time to find a 2011 FE390..... :D
  16. ktm950se

ktm950se Banned

Oddometer:
    Who is providing this product or service?

Are you suggesting that the 70 Degree subframe is better able to handle the weight of a Great Basin than the stock part?

Thanks!

ktm950se
  17. Tarheel Wheeler

Oddometer:
    :d:d:d
  18. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Trail Jester Supporter

Oddometer:
    I traded up from my 08 WRR to a FE570S. I think the 390 would have been plenty of HP for me. But too much HP aside ... I really love this berg.
  19. natedog39

natedog39 Borderline Beefcake

Oddometer:
    You really think it has too much power?
  20. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    HF, glad you like the re-map. It's awesome. It's the map my dealer (Tasky's in Everett, WA) put into mine right away when I bought it new, and it rips! I've never experienced the too-lean EPA map. That lean EPA map is also probably why yours ran better with the "Briggs & Stratton" perforated restrictor plate installed. It was too lean to run with it out. With the new map it's just the opposite, the restrictor plate chokes it.

BTW, in case people don't know, the toolkit comes with a special tool to remove that pesky restrictor plate (which doesn't look like a spark arrestor to me).

[​IMG]

My dealer says that restrictor plate mysteriously "falls out" of all of his customers bikes :lol3