MALAYSIAN Adventure Bikers

Discussion in 'Asia' started by deaninkl, Mar 1, 2010.

1. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hello everyone

I'm coming in to KL for a few days and looking to take a ride. Arrive 09 April and working 12 & 13, flying straight back out, so hoping to rent a moto and spend 10 & 11 April exploring (on-road only). Does anyone have any tips for:

1. Where to rent

2. Where to go

Many thanks for any advice you have.

Paul
  2. slimshedykoff

slimshedykoff n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there!

Try this guy www.ridemalaysia.com.my he's name is Feizal. He can also provide you with the info about roads and sights.
  3. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb

I'd seen the website but good to know it's recommended.
  4. rickypanecatyl

rickypanecatyl SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer:
    There's a shop in Shah Alam (15 miles West of KL) that rents the GS800 for about 400RM a day... let me know if you're interested and I'll dig up their number.

Another shop in Jalan Ipoh rents out the KLX250 for 250RM a day which I think is insanely priced...

Sometimes you'll find owners renting out their own bikes on www.mudah.com.my Go to the motorcycle section and try typing in "Rent" one time, and then "sewa" if that doesn't bring anything up.
  5. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Ricky. :thumb

I'll go with Ride Malaysia.
  6. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Quick question if anyone's around. KL to Cameron Highlands and back in one day; too much or an easy ride?
  7. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    That's a fairly easy ride. What kind of bike are you taking up? Street only, some dirt or hard core dirt?

Here's 3 rides up to Cameron from KL all paved. The first in my opinion in the prettiest, the 2nd the fastest and the 3rd a common route for those that hate corners/get motion sickness.

1. Fun/pretty route: Starting from the Selayang Petronas gas station (a common meet up point for guys traveling north up the B23/57 aka Jalan Sungai Tua/Batu lake). Head north up B23, catch the toll road near Kerling/Tanjung Malim and then exit the toll road at Tapah and take the windy 59 road up to Cameron.

Google maps puts this trip at 185 KM and 2 hours and 55 minutes. I find 2 1/2 quite easy on a bike including a swim in the lata iskandar waterfall on the way up. This particular route starts on a beautiful jungle, mountain road leaving KL.

Whole route:

[​IMG]

Starting point:
    [​IMG]

2. The fastest route: In this route I have you starting at the rest stop/overhead bridge restaurants at Sungai Buloh on the North West edge of the city. That rest stop is a common meeting point for guys traveling north together on the toll road. Looks just like any freeway. Bypasses Malaysia's beauty but is fast and probably safest at night.

Whole route:

[​IMG]

Rest stop starting point:

[​IMG]

Finally, certainly the fastest route coming from Ipoh and some people coming from KL use this route as though it is much longer the road is far wider, safer and less curves though still lots of curves.

[​IMG]

Here's a big picture of Cameron Highlands - almost the whole plateu area of the titiwangsa range is referred to as "Cameron Highlands". That is probably about 400 square miles. Usually what people refer to as Cameron Highlands though is the area along the C7/59 route starting at the town of Ringlett and ending in the town of Kampung Raja.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you climp up the c7/59 route from Tapah the first town you come to is Ringlet, then Habu, then Tanah Ratah, then Brinchang then Kampung Raja. Quick overview:
    Ringlett - is mostly Malay and Orang Asli people
    Tanah Ratah town is the big foreign tourist town. Lots of hotels, tea and scones, trips organized etc.
    Brincang is more local tourist town. Also lots of hotels etc. Being local tourists it tends to fill up on public holidays and weekends where as Tanah rata follows foreign backpacker schedule.
    Kampung Raja is the farmers town/outpost. Good place to get farm equipment worked on! :)
  8. Wildman

Wildman Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Rick

Appreciate the input; PM sent.
  9. clickmaster

clickmaster Adventurer

Oddometer:

Il ike this picture. Keep riding guys!
  10. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    I just ran into some guys who thought you could ship a bike from Klang to Medan for 150RM - anyone hear of that before?
  11. clickmaster

clickmaster Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I haven't heard such shipment before, better ask some guys here with huge knowledge of this.
  12. Sascha

Sascha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There was a boat called "banana boat (Mr Lee)" but unfortunatly it is not operationg anymore... It stopped for various (unknown for me) reasons...

any other way of crossing from Malaysia to Indonesia (Sumatra)???? At the moment there are no informations ... anyone an idea?
  13. siddiq

siddiq Adventurer

Oddometer:
    MALAYSIAN Adventure Bikers in my house

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]
  14. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    Wow that look like Malaysian motorcycles in Bandung Indonesia! :clap

Siddiq - can you ask them how they got their bikes from Malaysia to Indonesia?

Terimah kasih!
  15. Sascha

Sascha Adventurer

Oddometer:
    ^^YES YES YES, me too :norton we are going tomorrow to Penang, anyone knows a good place there to stay for two days???? AND then we go around malaysia and after to Indonesia if we can cross, till now we did not find any way to go over.... :eek1
  16. enkil

enkil Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Cool... Hope to meet you guys one day. :clap
  17. deaninkl

deaninkl Been here awhile

Oddometer:

Hi Rich Pix, bringing a bike into Malaysia long term is difficult and expensive if you plan to keep it here. If you are coming on a contract then it is possible to bring the bike in on a carnet di pass then take the bike out when you leave. A friend of mine has done this recently with his BMW so I know its possible. If you PM me I will get the contact of the local agent he used.

Dean in Kl
  18. blackcap

blackcap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ok guys, im trying to organise a ride to Gunung Mulu in Sarawak. so far im having some troubble finding some accurate maps of the area to get an idea of the logging road network near there. does anyone know if its possible to ride out to Gunung Mulu or even if you can point me in the right direction to get some detailed maps. even a village that i can start from would be nice at the moment hahaha. and if anyone wants to join me that would also be awesome. :freaky
  19. rickypanecatyl

Oddometer:
    Sorry I'm not much help but I did look it up as I will be out there next week myself. I'm looking at Malsing maps and Malfree maps and it shows a trail about 12 km long that starts at the Medanmit jety which is about 30 km south by the way the crow flies (probably 2 1/2 X times that on the river) of Medanmit.

Good luck - let us know what you find!
  20. blackcap

blackcap Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    havent made it there yet ricky, still in sabah. did you manage to get out there? my tires are looking a little more like race slicks than offroad weapons at the moment so im not sure how ill go. does anyone have any contact details on somewhere i can get an 18" and 21" tire in either east or west malaysia. i rang the BMW dealership and they said they dont stock tires? so where do the BMW guys get theirs from?