Be careful out there ... and wear your gear

Discussion in 'Australia' started by MaverickAus, Nov 17, 2006.

1. MaverickAus

MaverickAus Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi guys,

went for a trail ride today with 3 guys I had never met (only chatted in a forum) we started off having a good day until the guy in front ran into another bike. I didn't have my camera with me so I can't show you the damage but its a good warning to be careful out there. Motorcycling is dangerous and we need to take care. Both riders will be ok, the guy coming towards us got a bit of road rash and a sore foot (t-shirt, shorts, joggers, full face mx helmet) The YZ250 he was riding needs a new expansion chamber, a new engine sidecover and rear brake lever.
    The DR650 that was with our group came off worse, the YZ expansion chamber smashed the oil filter cover and casing off the DR and and removed the oil filler from the casing. It also smashed the clutch lever perch, damaged the left handle bar mount, small dents in the metal fuel tank and some other minor cosmetic damage.
    The DR rider has a sore leg, grazes on both arm and a sore head, he was ATGATT (all the gear all the time). Even though he was wearing MX boots he has a small puncture in his heal.
    This stuff hurts but all I thought about coming back was thank god it was a bike and not a 4WD. truck or car coming round the corner, he really would have been hurting if he hit one of those babys.
  2. Racketeer

Racketeer Must escape......

Oddometer:
    Melbourne near the sshitty...I mean the City!!
    Sounds like they both got out of it fairly lightly....

Soon puts a dampner on a ride though!! :cry

Thank goodness they could both walk away from it and weren't too badly hurt I say!! :clap
  3. ChrisCrossed

ChrisCrossed Now sans KLX...

Oddometer:
    It's interesting that you tend to drop your guard a bit in the bush, while commuting in traffic it's "which one wants tp kill me..". Not allocating blame to the case Maverick described but the closest I've come to being cleaned up in the last couple of years has been on narrow dirt roads. Once I was stopped maybe 1/3 across a firetrail when a couple of P platers in 4xs raced around the corner and missed me by not much, and a couple of weeks ago I was narrowly missed by ute doing a bit of rallying on a one lane track.

The first time I was partially at fault, the second just lucky to be well left. I was able to head into the table drain while he swung on the wheel with eyes like saucers while the front just ploughed straight ahead. Either would have been very painfull.

Hope the blokes involved recover quickly and the young bloke on the motocrosser learns a bit about gear.

Chris
  4. rosscoact

rosscoact need constant supervision

Oddometer:
    yeah, there's nothing that makes you sit up and take notice than seeing a 4WD come sideways around the same corner as you are setting yourself up to go into.:eek1

Your tale reminds me of one Christmas in the early 80's when our mates took up all all four beds of the traction ward. Two unrelated road crashes and one dirt head on took care of the other two. Happens a lot these days too.
  5. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    I often think " I hope I don't meet myself coming the other way" cause if I do , There's gonna be trouble!
  6. Mouse

Mouse I'm only smelly

Oddometer:
    ummm:scratch

recognising yourself?

i know a local here who managed to have a head on on the dirt and it seriously messed him up - something about 3-4 months in hospital, fairly severe brain damage and not much hope of improving. saw him bout 6 months ago and he was in pretty poor shape. mind you he rode like a hooligan and was in and out of hospital from crashes but you wouldn't wish that on anyone. apparently he had turned around to find out what happened to his mate following him and found him the hard way.

My tip, if you must turn around, proceed with utmost caution as you have a very good chance of someone chasing you hard.
  7. sidetrack one

sidetrack one Chief Tiddler Supporter

Oddometer:
    No, I meant meeting someone coming the other way and riding in the same manner that I do, which is generally fairly aggressive. i.e using more track/road than I should be.
  8. warnabrother

warnabrother .. if you see the Rozzers

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

those trackies dont count as bike pants.... :deal :deal
  9. nevgriff64

nevgriff64 .

Oddometer:
    OUCH... :huh

Is that what they call Monkey Butt?? :lol3
  10. warnabrother

Oddometer:
    LOLOLOL
  11. slowbike smallpenis

slowbike smallpenis Tester of Tooheys Old Supporter

Oddometer:
    Shoalhaven above Tasmania and West of New Zealand
    thats nothing, you should have seen Mouse's bum after the 2003 Kings School old boy's reunion ..:1drink

:lol3 .. Heya James
  12. Stackator

Stackator F800GS goodness

Oddometer:
    Some people pay perfectly good money for those results at the B&D parlour!

I saw a guy riding yesterday on a DRZ400 with trackies and sneakers...ouch waiting to happen
  13. warnabrother

Oddometer:
    I saw a guy today on a KLX250 - no shit - riding down Seaford Rd (mainish rd on the Peninsula) WITHOUT a helmet on.. and no light or rego... WTF
  14. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:

saw a guy a couple of months ago in the suburbs of Townsville on a husenburg (cant spell it....but i can spell KTM) in a singlet shorts and thongs,
    he had a helmet but the chick on the back had a short dress and high heals on, No helmet.

she was hot though, I think she just didn't want helmet hair.
  15. warnabrother

Oddometer:
    :poser:poser:poser
  16. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    We want details, like what colour undies was she wearing please.:lol3
  17. ktmgeoff

ktmgeoff Remember it's not a race!

Oddometer:
    Western Creek Tasmania ( sold the farmand moved)
    Looks like he might need that tattoo re-inking too:lol3 :lol3
  18. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    Black g string, It was a short skirt, they pulled up at the shop I was out the front off, and I had placed myself well to watch the dismount.

She can't have been that hot because I didn't hang around to watch her remount it, but strangely I remember the bike well and I think I spent more time coveting it than her.

errr I am so pathetic.:cry
  19. coop74

coop74 Deal's Gap Junkie

Oddometer:
    You think that looks like it hurts now... wait till the Doc or nurse takes a brush and brushes it till it bleeds again and there is nothing in the wound but bright pink flesh.

Had to do it a couple of times as a medic in the army. Believe me it was not one of those case where this is going to hurt me more than you!

Coop
  20. TouringDave

TouringDave Tri Moto Veritas

Oddometer:
    Warna, don't you just love the grunts that are down our way?