Zumo touch screen and digitizer replacement

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by FrankS, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Waco

Waco Renegade Sickle Hound

Oddometer:
    Is it more common with Zumos left on the bike all the time? Mine stays in its protective case in the saddlebag most of the time and comes out when I want to use it.
  2. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'll answer that in about a week when I get the last screen in.
  3. radguzzi

radguzzi The Journey is the Reward

Oddometer:
    Do you happen to know what that flat rate is....? I just had this happen to mine while on the road... :rolleyes Yesterday... :waysad

Also, is the swapped screen all that has to be done...? And it's fixed...?

I will echo that with a thanks for the info however, I reeealy do not know if I have the steady hand to make the repair.

If the cost is not too great then I would prolly opt for the Garmin folks to fix it...

Thanks all,
    Rob
  4. GS Addict

Oddometer:
    $150 flat rate at Garmin.
    Select model and weep.
    http://www8.garmin.com/support/outofwarranty.html
  5. radguzzi

Oddometer:
    Well that's a drag... Maybe I will spend some quality time with a scalpel... I mean, what could possibly go wrong...?

I dunno, I'll flip a coin...:rolleyes

Thanks,
    Rob
  6. GS Addict

Oddometer:
    The screens I initially got are slightly smaller the the original so placement for correct water sealing is critical. I did a water test on mine and it does seal but would have preferred the correct size..
    I have since ordered one more where the gentleman has absolutely assured me that is is the correct original size (I gave him the dimensions).
    It should be here by the end of next week and I will report my findings and if true to his word I will supply the ebay link to all.

UPDATE:

Screen arrived today and is the correct size. 79.3mm x 64.77mm (3.125" x 2.550")
    The connector is correct as well.
    I would recommend this seller: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190417956530&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123
  7. radguzzi

Oddometer:

Well I talked with Garmin a couple of days ago, decided to go with the refurbed unit... Hehe, he said unit... :lol3

The deal was I could mail mine back with the RMA reference number, wait for the replacement after they got mine for $150 or have one sent right out while I mailed mine back the same day for $300 and when thety receive mine I get the 150 bux credited back to me. Good deal.

Thirty day warrentee on the reburbed GPS... Better than nothin' I guess.

Kinda bummin' that the thing failed to begin with... :waysad

Just a chicken I guess about doing the replacement for myself.

Thanks,
    Rob
  8. radguzzi

Oddometer:
    I received the refurbed unit in the mail yesterday, charged it, turned it on, all seemed fine.

Beings how I had an errand to do about 40 miles from here I decided to try it out. Set the home coordinates, the destination and mounted it on the Norge only to see the screen go bat shit right before my eyesÂ… ! :waysad

It looks like several screens on one. I took it off the mount, would not even power down, plugged into a different power source and nothing different happened. I let it sit for hours and at some point it shut down. Now it will not power up...:rolleyes

Great, I sent Garmin a note telling them what happened, sent a photo in fact so they could have a look-see. Instructed them to send another one with pre-paid return postage so that they could have this junk one back.

I received an email back with the usual instructions to try this and thatÂ… no thanks, send another.

More later.
    Best,
    Rob
  9. GS Addict

Oddometer:
    See update on post #26
  10. ranbush

ranbush Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Hi - the digitizer I ordered using that ebay link for a Zumo 550 arrived today. The digitizer measures 3.0" X 2.475". Is this about the size of the first "slightly smaller" digitizer that you received? Should I even bother trying to install this thing?

And, did your correctly-sized digitizer come from a "Yang Lin Sen" at "Espeed Logistics Int'l, Ltd" in Hong Kong?
  11. GS Addict

Oddometer:
    You can install the smaller one (center carefully) but do a water test to make sure it seals. I am running the smaller one with no issues and keeping the correct size one as a spare.
    My correct size one came from mingxing200808. (these names seem to change like days of the week)
  12. ranbush

Oddometer:
    [FONT=arial,sans-serif]Hey GS - thanks for the quick response; mine also came from email addy [/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif]mingxing200808, return mail names on the box were Yang and Espeed Logistics in HK.

I sent them an email asking about the size discrepancy, and I'll wait and see what they say.[/FONT]
    In their order confirmation email, they wrote, "[FONT=arial,sans-serif]Communication is very important, I hope we can do the happy and successful transction each other." so that sounds promising. I will post the news if we [/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif]do the happy and successful transction[/FONT][FONT=arial,sans-serif]. And, especially if we don't.

Thanks again.
    [/FONT]
  13. JRrider

JRrider Lifetime Motorcycle Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Ranbush,

Are you saying you ordered from the same guy as GS Addict and got the smaller screen instead of the correct size?

If true, how do we insure we get the right size? GS Addict, how did you do that?

Want to sell your screen to me for a $10 profit? I don't want to mess around..

Let me know.
  14. GS Addict

Oddometer:
    I suggest everyone do the following:
    Send the seller the following question and be sure they confirm
    "Please be sure it measures 79.3mm x 64.77mm (3.125" x 2.550") and NOT smaller"
  15. JRrider

Oddometer:
    GS Addict,

Want to sell me yours that is the right size?
  16. GS Addict

Oddometer:
    No I want as a spare.
  17. JRrider

Oddometer:
    I have checked with a few and all seem 3" x 2.5"

the Ming guy has never responded to my questions.

GS Addict, did you just email him or what exactly did you do?

This is a pain.
  18. JRrider

Oddometer:
    Right after I sent my prior message, I got the response..funny...here it is:

Dear Customer:
    We hold: 79.3mm x 64.77mm (3.125 "x 2.550") and NOT smaller for Garmin Zumo 550 touch screen.
    If you can buy in our store.
    Product link:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=190442053480&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT
    Thank you

- mingxing200808

He is quick at adapting, look at his ad now...anyway... I fell for it and sent my $35...hopefully won't be duped...
  19. GS Addict

Oddometer:

I was very direct with him and he assured me. There you go, he now has an edge over his competitors. I do not think you be duped.
  20. ranbush

Oddometer:
    Hey guys - I'm sorry to report that I haven't heard back from mingxing200808 regarding the incorrect size digitizer that I received. Also, another concern is that the digitizer he/she/they sent me has the connector in the wrong location. I doubt that the existing connector on the Zumo will even reach the connector on the digitizer.

I sent him a firm email saying that if I don't hear back from him by 14 Sept, I am going to complain loudly and often to the ebay police. BFD, but who knows.

I've tried to upload a JPG of the wrong digitizer, but it's not working, I may try again later.