1. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Ok guys, just got a NEW crib & want to epoxy the garage floor. Anybody here in the SO CAL (santa clarita) to be exact do such a thing or recommend an inmate within reasonable distance. Thanks

RIDE ON!
  2. Kali Trailrider

Kali Trailrider PLATED X2

Oddometer:
    I could do it for you.

Lifetime guarantee - best materials available

I could do it in a single day.
    Acid etch - roll on epoxy and then add specs if you want them.

Two car garage - $1500

Three car - $1800

unless you have something for trade... :evil

Here is a picture of my floor

[​IMG]
  3. 150ron

150ron Long timer

Oddometer:
    Im in Santa Clarita too, you can do the shit yourself, easy, mine was Rustoleum brand epoxy from the Home Depot, cost me $99 bucks for a 2 1/2 car garage kit, the kit comes with everything needed.

you can see the floor in these pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Clean the floor

acid wash it with the supplied acid in the package (or if you have lots of old oil stains, pick up some ZEP brand name concrete floor cleaner, that shit takes everything off, get a brush too)

once the floor is nice and clean, and free of oil and other stains, (needs to be completely DRY), you hit the corners and small crevices with a brush, and just roll the middle with a paint roller, step back and throw on the flakes (if you want the flakes),

the kit comes with a DVD that pretty much shows how to do it, the only hard part about the whole ordeal is not being able to park in the garage for 5 days or so.

Mine has been on for going on 4 years now, and if i clean it up, looks just as good as day one, nothing sticks or stains it, im really glad i did it.
  4. Kali Trailrider

Oddometer:
    Yeah you could go that route... but you will be sorry you did.

Heat from a car's tire will generally make the paint peal.

The only thing the will peal my paint is battery acid.

Vista paint product and to do it right you will spend about $800 in materials alone.

I will tell you how to do it if you PM me.

It's not rocket science. :lol3

But you do need to be a licensed contractor with an account to buy the right stuff. :wink:

The proof is in the pictures...
  5. Closet Doctor

Closet Doctor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The cheap kits aren't worth it, it will just cost more to have it ground off when you want it done right. Top quality materials will last a very long time, my personal residence is going on 9 years. I've seen the $99 kits peal off the first time they drive a car on it. I'm up north and have a guy here that I use. I do lots of garage cabinets and have seen it all.

Www.closetdr.com
  6. CNRED

CNRED It'll be OK Supporter

Oddometer:
    Did mine myself 3 years ago. Used the Home depot stuff. Was pretty easy, floor to this date looks great. Key is to make sure the floor is clean with the acid wash. Here's a tip - If you use your garage for wrenching or working on your bikes or car for that matter, forget the flakes. They look good if all you do is park a car in the garage. If you are wrenching on a car or bike and drop a smallish nut, bolt or wsher, it will be almost imossible to find on the floor. The bolt will blend in with the flakes and will be hard to see. Trust me on this, I "flaked" my floor, and like everyone who has worked on a bike have dropped a scfew or two. I fiinally bought a large magnet from harbor freight.
  7. laramie LC4

laramie LC4 flying something...

Oddometer:
    how long you guys letting this stuff dry for? no way i could have all my shit outside for 4 days! :eek1

all i have is bikes and "stuff" in my garage, my wife calls it, "our 5 bike garage." not the usual "2-car." so the big thing for me is oil and other fluids. i'm not concerned about cars tearing it up.

my mess....

[​IMG]

thanks,

laramie :beer
  8. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    Wow, I can't even see my garage floor...

...I think I need to do some spring cleaning.

:freaky

9. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Time wise, i have NONE to do it myself. Cleaning prep is all that will be needed, house is brand NEW & want it to be done right, don't plan on moving again, if ever. Kali, i'll touchbase & maybe we can work a better deal, food & BOOZE :evil In the meantime im dealing with all the other installs, satellite, water softener, tankless water heater etc. Appreciate the input guys. BTW, now im only 10 minutes away from texas canyon:clap

RIDE ON!
  10. S H I F T Y

S H I F T Y Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Where did you move to? New development off of Newhall Ranch Road, or maybe Stetson Ranch? I'm only ten minutes from Rowher myself.
  11. dzrtracin

dzrtracin возьми

Oddometer:
    Stetson, Model home:freaky

RIDE ON!
  12. groop

groop So much to ponder

Oddometer:
    Kali
    How long does the concrete need to cure before you can roll on epoxy? I just had the driveway poured last week. By summer I am planning to break out the cracked garage floor and pour new cement. I plan on putting down epoxy before I move every thing back in again. I just don't know how long that will be.
  13. windypoint

windypoint Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can tell you that on a heated slab the concrete has to cure for at least 90 days. I put epoxy on a garage slab that was heated and the moisture leaving the concrete popped the paint. I would ask a professional about timing on a new cold slab.
  14. Kali Trailrider

Oddometer:
    Well you really should let the concrete cure for at least six months before you coat it with epoxy.
    The manufacturer will tell you to wait even longer.
    The truth is concrete gets harder and harder the older it is and Is in a constant state of curing.

I have never had a problem with the epoxy I use and have done many brand new homes.
    By the time the home owner moves in the concrete is generally at least six months old.

Maybe this job will give me a chance to ride the famous Rowher Flats area. :wink:

Oh I almost forgot... I would highly recommend the flakes!!
    Epoxy floors are very slippery when wet and the flakes help add texture to the surface.
    Straight epoxy is slippery even when dry.
    And it helps with imperfections on the floor itself and looks a lot better in my opinion.
  15. Salsa

Salsa Long timer

Oddometer:
    You guys are a bunch of short timers.

I did mine with Sears Epoxy paint back in the late sixty's or early seventy's, 40 years.

It is getting spotty now. Time for new paint .

12 years ago I painted some steel with the same (then 28 year old paint) and it is hard to get off.

Don
  16. FakeName

FakeName Wile E Coyote SuperGenius Supporter

Oddometer:
    garagejournal.com is the ADVrider of garages, and there is TONS of information there about this subject.

After much consideration, consternation and thought, I went with a concrete coating contractor, and am very glad I did. I've spent a lot of time finishing floors in my life, and decided for the money I'd spend on the best materials, I might as well have it done by someone who's done thousands of floors and guarentees their work.

They used a polyaspartic which, with prep and final coat, was ready for full action in about 24 hours. They sanded, leveled, and sanded before application and I had them "cove" the coating up the wall to seal the corners/seams.

[​IMG]
  17. Jeff aka BOLT

Jeff aka BOLT Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer:
    How well does the epoxy hold up over a dirt or gravel floor ? :D
  18. theGrinch

theGrinch SNF Dream Riders

Oddometer:
    If pored thick enough if might work. You will need allot of epoxy Jeff I mean allot.

smart ass.

:freaky

19. pcvance

pcvance Walk Verplank

Oddometer:
    Stronger and lot more expensive too. Smart asses.
  20. Jeff aka BOLT

Jeff aka BOLT Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer:
    But if you don't have to pay for concrete is it really more ?