00 R1150GS: clutch slave change

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by g r a n t, May 12, 2011.

1. g r a n t

g r a n t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi.
    I have gone through many of the posts and topics on changing the clutch slave.
    However, I have a few specific questions that I could not quite find an answer to.

1. The rod has a small bit of grease on it. Is this a special grease or will any grease do when the new clutch slave goes in?
    2. The clutch slave leaked leaving crystallized fluid all over the inside. I would like to pull the seal and rod and clean up the inside, but do not have the "bmw special tool" for seating the seal. Any homemade tool designs out there? Note, I will be removing the gearbox and swingarm as well.

Also, refer to this post:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=683210

Here are pics from last night:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. GS Addict

GS Addict Pepperfool Supporter

Oddometer:
    As far as I have read/know parts are not available for a rebuild. Replace with a new unit. Be sure that the bearing has enough grease in it or add some ( I use normal high grade wheel bearing grease) I have regreased mine ('00 GS) 3 times in 210,000 km - still original. Change the clutch fluid every year as well.

See this post http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572248

Also be sure and check the pressure cable coming from the lever where it attaches to the slave. There is a rubber cover that covers the lower end. This cover should be trimmed back to expose the metal part of the fitting. What happens is the cover allows water to enter from the high side and collect. Over time the metal portion rusts and eventually you have a fluid leak. I have done this mod to a few bikes now including my own.
    The cable is not a cheap part to replace and if Murphy has anything to do with it it will happen at 23:10 in East BF.
    The picture blow is of a cable from a very low mileage bike but you can see the rust was starting. I have seen them really badly rusted.

[​IMG]
  3. g r a n t

g r a n t Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks GSAddict.
    One was super rusty. The other was good as new.
    An inmate here in the GTA has a contact who can make a stainless steel line.
    Will look into this.