1. Chickenstrip

Chickenstrip Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'd appreciate hearing from moto show attendees - is it a good show?

I haven't been keeping up much with new bikes - which brand's got the goods? I'm specifically interested in 'universals,' sport-touring, sport, and adventure bikes (not dirt, cruiser, mega-touring).
  2. robfilms

robfilms Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i am a returning rider who bought a craigslist bike in july 2012 and have put on about 2k miles having fun.

i went to the javits center on friday afternoon and stayed from 230-530pm.

it was not overly crowded so hopping on bikes was easy and a blast.

for me, each manufacturer had at least one model that i would gladly purchase.

not that i'm in the market for a new bike.

i want to ride my 2006 z750s for another year before i'd go looking, this way i have a much better idea of what i want/need/desire/can afford.

but the motorcycle show let me wander around, imagine i was a potential buyer and i sat on everything i was slightly interested in.

for me:

ducati multistrada
    triumph explorer & tiger
    suzuki vee-strom (no 1k strom and no bandit-darn)
    kawasaki z1000, versys & klr650 (no 1k versys-double darn)
    bmw f800gt/r

man, all those bikes was like what i imagine heroin would be.

i could go all day.

yippee!

ymmv

be well

rob
  3. Ineffable

Ineffable Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Picking it up in the spring on a flash flooded trail in Utah a few dozen times is no fun either. I was riding in Esclante a couple of years ago, rain farther off brought floods across my route, turning it into a slick impassable mess. I wound up abandoning the bike, stuck upright finally, and (short version) got rescued by a rancher. The long version is fairly entertaining, in retrospect only though.
  4. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of a place that sells 6 volt batteries and would be open on a Sunday? I tried Sears Auto, Pep Boys, and Auto Zone.
  5. thomas.tc.young

thomas.tc.young Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    advanceautoparts has a pretty good selection of moto stuff.
  6. ESPRider

ESPRider Say what again...

Oddometer:
    The best part was meeting folks from here like wiseblood and gho. Stop by the NYMSTF

The show is smaller than previous years, moving down to the lower level.

Friday was a great day to go, with less of a crowd. Most of the major mfg were there, ducati, triumph, bmw, honda, harley, kawasaki, suzuki, ktm, etc.

The stunt show was cool.
    Not as many small vendors this year and those that attended had smaller displays, eg roadgear. Myfriend was accosted by an eye glass cleaner vendor and when he said that the stuff smeared his glasses the guy started to give him attitude. I've never liked or had luck with that crap. Cycle gear sells an antifog that's not bad but not at the show...
    But there were few vendors for decent accessories like gloves, tank bags, Etc
  7. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    Thanks... no dice.
    Also tried an HD shop in NJ that I know is open on Sunday's and Cycle Gear in NJ... same thing.

I give up. Guess I'll just order from the 'net.
  8. TengaiJohn

TengaiJohn Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    My local Autozone sells motorcycle batteries, want me to pick one up (if they have one for your bike) and bring in? I'll be in the city around noon.
  9. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    Shit I could not find road gear, but I was only there for a few hrs on Friday. I woke up in excruciating pain on saturday morning and didn't go in, same for sunday. new bike has given me tendonitis.
  10. JustRon

JustRon ex-broadwayron

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the offer, but they don't stock 6V batteries. I don't need it at the moment, but I can't troubleshoot my bike's electrical issues without it (and I have the day off- so, I plan on being in the garage).
  11. the schwartz

the schwartz Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer:

!!! [​IMG] !!!​
  12. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    just somethin for the local community:

Got a 15% off code for twisted throttle if anyone is ordering anything soon. I think its for the whole order, so it'd be best to do a bulk buy. If more than 1 person is ordering around here we can put it together and just ship to 1 spot
  13. psychopompos

psychopompos Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I thought I got from them at the auto show, but then when I went to order it didn't work. Was something along the lines of: IMSNY2013. Is that what you're talking about, or do you have something that single use? If the former, how did I mess it up?
  14. GHO100

GHO100 George

Oddometer:
    Yeah, its something like that, but I do think the numbers are for single use... not sure if you're missing NY"C"
  15. Ineffable

Ineffable Adventurer

Oddometer:
    OK let's see if this works.[​IMG]

Happy now?
  16. rthuey

rthuey twist your wrist!!!

Oddometer:
    insanity is not as easy as i make it look
    we thought you meant stuck, yours looks to be resting

[​IMG]
  17. Domiken

Domiken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The show was meh... I left after 2 hours on Saturday (packed), some nice bikes though and I loved the GP section.

I left to go buy a 74' Suzuki GT250, I should have probably stayed at the show hehe this thing needs work, but I can't wait to have it running again. I have no idea where to even get tires for this thing, but ill figure it out. Just got the POR-15 today and hopefully Neftali can paint it.

Sorry to hear about the outsourcing guys, it's a tough thing to deal with.
  18. the schwartz

Oddometer:

Who's your paint guy (is Neftali on the forums)?

I'm POR-ing the tank from my 78 GS1000, though I've been holding off out of inertia and a vague fear of messing it up somehow.
    I'd love to see a photo of the 250. Holler if you need any help as well. If it isn't too different than its big brothers, I have a ton of experience "fixing" those old zukes from my 850 (I like to think of it as learning by breaking). :D
  19. the schwartz

Oddometer:
    damn that's some soup.

that makes more sense. i don't know why, but when i read "stuck upright" i pictured it at a 90 degree angle to the ground with the front wheel pointing at the sky :lol3
  20. thomas.tc.young

thomas.tc.young Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    nef is bushwick klr