2013 Dakar Pre-Event Discussion

Discussion in 'Racing' started by SafariBerg, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would have been closer last year :cry but nearly :clap
  2. troy safari carpente

troy safari carpente f5ree sub-zero agent

Oddometer:
    If HRC produce the "kit" as they have indicated (or provide it as a limited edition completed customer bike as per KTM 450 RR), your blueprint holds true yes - FOR A RALLY (still fairly maintenence intensive) APPLICATION... but underneath all the bells, whistles and bodywork/tanks is STILL a CRF 450 X motor, with it's valve service intervalls, one liter or so of oil and a (relatively) high state of tune - in terms of an "every day ride/dualsport application" type bike... and THAT is where your XR 600 comparison falls short of the mark.

YES, they may well make a "rally kit" for the CRF (a' la' JVO for Yamaha, Meca for KTM's and Honda, or even Safari for a number of different late model 450 bikes) and SURE given the HRC stamp will be on it, there is every chance it will be a well thought out, quality kit at that... "bolt on" as you say. But it still is a fairly niché oriented package (HRC's own PR has always referred in terms of a customer spec/race application kit they will make available for privateer competitors.... THIS is a far cry from a production line run, series production all seasons trailbike for the masses like the XR 600 was.

THAT is where your comparison of HRC CRF Rally vs XR 600 R peoples choice for over a decade is just wishfull thinking. IF Honda come up with a lower state of tune, increased service interval, dualsport 450cc derivative of the CRF engine, to base a new 450 trail model on (a' la DRZ 400E as I said before) then and only then, would I agree... yes the halcyon days of the 90's and Honda's get your rocks off in the outback fever on an XR (or CRF 450 E... as the case might be?) may well be with us once more.

As yet, all I have heard, read or seen is that HRC intend to make a customer spec' kit available... once they've got the factory 450 Rally up and flying, a spec' decided upon and can start the production of series parts... So by mid to later 2013, perhaps you will be able to buy your "kit" to make your own JC bromance homage replica... :roflBut any talk of an XR-like conquest of the world is - still - a long way off... no matter how red the blood in your veins run my friend. :D:1drink
  3. Gian

Gian dreamer

Oddometer:
    I would have loved a similar combination... and they already have EFI on the 400 Quad, if needed:deal
  4. oldgringo

oldgringo Jacked it all

Oddometer:
  5. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Open open open...

[​IMG]

from Tamarugal FB
  6. Kenisis

Kenisis Adventurer

Oddometer:

Its not that long off, I have bought the same kit that Johnny campbell ran at the Morrocco rally. Tanks, Bash plate etc. All bolt on. When i enquired with Henk about the new setup he said that the costs are too high now at the developmental stages but as soon as the R & D and testing was out the way they could go to production reducing costs.

How ever a new bike with EFI would be Great so thats now upto Honda to release a new X for next year!:wink:
  7. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Heya Kenisis :wave

Boy am I glad talk is off KTM leaving the Dakar. I csnt see thst happening - They would not be able to say ready to race anymore if they did. Inconcievable to me.

Deadly99, you are on the money: This year already two top RSA riders paid bly9ig bucks this year to be part of the KTM factory team with Despres and the boys on Factory rentals. I think this is the way they will go.

Guys: thanks for all your well wishes, I am leaving the hospital tomorrow with 11 pieces of steel in my right leg and knee so will be joining the F5irehose in a big way again. Very frustrating to bei so close to it all but not be able to see it. I was really looking forward to chasing it with the guys, to phone into Rally radio a few reports and do some video footage. Hopefully Charapa, macguyver and the others will get some scoop interviews for us out there instead.

Cheers

Neil aka Blackn Bluebull :lol3
  8. Y E T I

Y E T I Unpossible

Oddometer:
    This would be great, IF it's street-legal. :deal :thumb
  9. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm just catching up... but KTM has (famously and repeatedly) said that Rally is the only sport that pays for itself. Those 450RRs they sell for Euro $30k are a profit center, as is the parts truck on the race.

As for not nuturing talent, how many of the top 10 were on KTMs last year? Of those who weren't, how many want to be? I think they'll be fine on that front. :deal
  10. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    Neil- Hard luck! Sorry, mate, and selfishly too because we lost our reporter!

KTM unobtanium- the bike is obtanium. The last 10kph is not... I'm sure Hondas will be the same at best.
  11. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    Agreed and as I hear, KTM is not going anywhere although I do hear that a new bike is in the works and EFI is being tested rigorously. What I meant about team dynamics changing is in the rider department. Aliens don't come along frequently and it may be a while before KTM can grab two of the best if Cyril leaves as expected.
  12. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    Unless anyone has any objections, I would like to put up the main coverage thread later tonight. I guess like last year any of the mods can lock it until raceday. Thoughts? :ear
  13. Sylvia

Sylvia vir sapit qui pauca loqui

Oddometer:
    Yes please Doyle.
  14. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Bring on the fire hose

[​IMG]
  15. too old

Oddometer:
    We need to see if HRC have managed to get the last 10 kph as yet?
    It wasn't there in Morocco as the Husky sailed past on a long flat, so it depends what the positive results were from California (we know the negative ones - good recovery and luck for 2013 Philipe and Sam) :clap

Just what did they have in those hand carried duffle bags?:lol3:lol3
  16. Deadly99

Deadly99 Fast and Far

Oddometer:

Any news on Philipes recovery?
  17. too old

Oddometer:
    Nothing since before Xmas when it was still "steady" - will try and find out, but could be difficult with everyone in SA.
  18. too old

Oddometer:
    Ha ha - good idea, also throw in another choice rumour and then freeze it for a couple of days :clap:clap
  19. johnBOYhenson

johnBOYhenson rallye intern

Oddometer:
    thanks for taking me/us along everyone! put up the official page!

I'm ready to f5race!

:D:huh
  20. neduro

neduro Long timer

Oddometer:
    One year ago today, I was shitting bricks.

[​IMG]
    A small part of the bivouac at the start...

In Dakar time, I'm a few days early since scrutineering hasn't started yet for this year's race, but perhaps we'll stay ahead to give a sense of anticipation for what's coming.

The scale of the race is hard to explain to those who haven't seen it, especially in America. Picture the pits at an AMA National roadrace or MX or SX... that's a tiny fraction of what's at the Dakar. The race vehicles at any of these events measure up, but the support behind them in Dakar is off the charts of any event I've seen here.

As a racer, my first interaction with the scale of it all left me feeling completely out of my league. The people are friendly, the actual steps to accomplish are within reach one by one, but walking for 10 minutes in a straight line thru an unending display of male-awesome-tech-fast-ness (I'm inventing a word from the primary components) leaves you feeling awestruck... and wanting more.

Scrutineering is very systematic. You're given a card with a lot of empty boxes, your job is to walk around and get a stamp in each one. No one is allowed in, so it's a great chance to meet and chat with the other racers.

[​IMG]

Each of those stamps indicates a function completed- from payment for the race, to medical insurance and what information they are allowed to release to the press, to a class on the GPS and sensitive cultural areas in Peru. The staff are nothing short of incredible- fluent in at least 3 languages (French, Spanish, English, and usually German, Portuguese, and others as well), efficient, and helpful.

Once you are scrutinized, it's time for your bike. Our heroes this year- Lyndon #168 and Kevin #186 already did this in Le Havre, but I had not. Here I am going thru with Quinn Cody.

[​IMG]

The process is simple- they go thru the rulebook and check off that each requirement is there. The sense I had was they were trying to help me thru, not find fault. You also sign up for Elf Lubricants if you are so inclined, get numbers installed on your jacket if you, like me, didn't have something pre-printed (I wore an off-the-shelf Klim jacket), get the various required stickers (for ASO sponsors), and eventually, park your bike in Parc Ferme, where you cannot touch it until the race begins.

Beyond the obvious, the function of all of this is to draw you in under the bubble of the race. You are awestruck by the size and budget and organization of the teams, and of the ASO itself, and suddenly, you aren't some oddball, you are surrounded by your own. Everyone here has spent their entire year getting ready for this, knows the long nights and and empty checking accounts that you are so familiar with. Everyone here gets the dream, no having to explain it 28 times in a row at a dinner party. For me, the effect was that I wanted to belong in this crowd, and I wanted to still be under the bubble two weeks from now.

And I wasn't sure if I belonged there. So now we're full circle, to where this started... nervous anticipation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.